• Register Today It's free!

MTX Thunderform owners....

Darrman

Reaction score
City, State
Waxahachie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
I have installed the box in my '91, sounds pretty decent inside, dont want to get everybodies attention outside. However the damn thing rattles the crap out of the passenger wall, everything is tight, I guess its vibrating against the outer skin of the car. My Q is: how much Dynomat do I need to get to kill the rattle? My X is a 2dr, so hopefully not much. Also can the dynomat be used to line the floor in the cargo area, or is it a waste of money, just get some regular padding? Thx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can also use tar paper from your local home center. Use a rubber mallet with the enclosure out and tap on everything listening for vibration. Seal any loose metal to metal contact points. You can use silicone for that. Surface areas can be covered with Dynamat, tar paper, or other. You can use a spray sound dampener for the corners and edges. Tighten any loose bolts or screws. Also, when assembled, look for any contact points between plastic interior and metal. They can be anoying at certain freq. You may notice other areas once you take care of these. Of course you could always pull your interior and give it the full treatment. That is fun! LOL

Thx guys, 187 sq ft.? Holy crap, that had to be pretty expensive. I am getting ready to replace the carpet in the passenger area, when I do, I am going to pull everything out and repaint the walls and trim pieces, so I want to soundproof the best I can at the same time. Is the spray in stuff any good?
I recently replaced the carpet in the cargo area, and the headliner/sunroof panel, which helped a bit, but I am planning to install a sony Cdx-f7710 in-dash, and replace my new(dammit) 5x7's with 6x8's.
Where is the best place to buy bulk dynamat?

Haven't had any experience with the spray stuff, but I have read mix reviews about it. Check out Raammat BXT. It is made of butyl (not asphault), and it is a lot cheaper than Dynomat. I would also recommend getting some Ensolite to put over the deadener.

Here is a link that may help you choose a deadener:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Also, here is a pic of my truck with the Raammat installed, before the Ensolite:
DSC01020.jpg

might want to try using some expanding foam also in your hollows

I put the ice barrier behind mine. It helped. But I still get rattles outside. You hear no bass outside, just a **** load of rattles.

Thanks, those websites are pretty informative, I will have to decide which brand to go with.
I ordered the new in-dash yesterday, I am going to start collecting everything else I need for a complete gut and rebuild. I am not looking to win any awards, but I am sick of the rattles and bangs coming from the back of the car.

wired_af said:
Haven't had any experience with the spray stuff, but I have read mix reviews about it. Check out Raammat BXT. It is made of butyl (not asphault), and it is a lot cheaper than Dynomat. I would also recommend getting some Ensolite to put over the deadener.

Here is a link that may help you choose a deadener:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Also, here is a pic of my truck with the Raammat installed, before the Ensolite:
DSC01020.jpg

Didn't see the pic, but I got similar!!

Attachments

• DSC00721.JPG
    DSC00721.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 220

you have to seal off anywhere that air gets through too. the main problem i have is the back hatch rattle... short of expandable foaming your entire back hatch, it is hard to stop the wiper motor and opening mechanism from rattling. i tried with foam tape and the sort... still not helping.

Back