Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
It was time for an oil change, and I've always run Amsoil 0W30 or 5W30 in my truck, but since my new engine I've had a slight rear main seal leak (learned an expensive lesson on that one). So, I just picked up some 10W40 high mileage oil this time to see if it makes a difference. The small leak wouldn't bother me so much (other than the fact that I paid good money for a rebuilt crate engine), but the darn thing drips right on top of the cat. I might see about relocating it a little when I get new cats.

Also changed the tranny fluid in the pan, and the filter. I noticed a few weeks ago that it was BLACK! Not burned, just dirty, but never seen it like that before. 210k miles on it, and it's shifting fine, so hopefully it keeps chugging. I'll just change it more often. Probably should do a full flush, but I think I'll just do the pan for now and see how it goes.

Next step is to figure out if the "clunk" under hard acceleration is the tranny, transfer case, or front driveshaft CV joint.

Are you sure it's the rear main and not the pan gasket?

No, I'm not, but history tells me it's the rear main. Had it replaced TWICE before the new engine, and now less than 30k on the new one. That shop really screwed me over.

Back