Mud Guards for Lifted Tracs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mud Guards for Lifted Tracs

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 2wd
So I was driving home from work when I got pulled over by my local police. Long story short, I ended up getting a warning to put mud guards on my truck per vehicle code to prevent excess water and mud from being thrown from my tires onto other vehicles.

Did I mention that I live in Southern California and it was 70+ degrees out when I got pulled over? Now I know that mud guards are extremely important in such a rain-heavy region like Southern California, so it looks like that's my next mod. Are any of you lifted Tracs running mud guards and if so, which ones? Pics if you have them would be nice.

Here's my truck for reference:

New%20Tires%201.gif

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cut a tractor-trailer mudflaps in half and used self tapping screws to hold them onto the rear inner wheel wells (I have them wrapped over the steel rear bumper side braces to keep them up off of the tires). I just bought a set of quick disconnect mudflap brackets from RockRanger to install so I can take the mudflaps off on the trail. Here's his build thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401949

Thanks MidnightRebel for the info! I'll read up on that thread and go from there. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of them on your truck, would you?

I haven't mounted them to my rig yet, waiting until after my SAS because I plan on removing my bed, building a steel tube bed and will need to have mudflaps to keep the spray and rooster tails down to a minimum by state law.

With the bed still on the truck, I think the best way to mount them would be tai them up to the wheel well liner and the wheel well itself where the liner screws into the sheet metal. You would probably need to make some work of metal bracket that comes down from the back side to hold them off the tires like a braided cable or small chain maybe.

The cop that pulled me over said that he's seen me drive by quite a few times and he's been waiting for the opportunity to stop me about my "violation," so apparently he sees me enough to where he's bound to pull me over again unless I fix it soon. Just to get it over with, part of me just wants to drive over to Autozone, pick up a set of Yosemite Sam mud guards, and screw them onto my truck. But then I'd be that guy driving around with Yosemite Sam mud guards. LOL

I think what I'm going to do is mock up a couple of different options this weekend and then post them here to see what you all think.

The cop that pulled me over said that he's seen me drive by quite a few times and he's been waiting for the opportunity to stop me about my "violation," so apparently he sees me enough to where he's bound to pull me over again unless I fix it soon. Just to get it over with, part of me just wants to drive over to Autozone, pick up a set of Yosemite Sam mud guards, and screw them onto my truck. But then I'd be that guy driving around with Yosemite Sam mud guards. LOL

I don't have any pics but on both of my Tracs (I had a Gen 1 before) I had extra large truck & SUV splash guards from Auto Zone. $8 a pair, plain black, no Yosemite Sam. Probably be good enough to keep you legal.

JohnnyO - I pretty much did the same thing. Grabbed a set of mud guards from Autozone and screwed them in. It's tight on the passenger side because of the exhaust, but they're screwed into the end of the bumper. Doesn't look the best, but I think it'll be enough to keep me from getting in trouble. If I have time later, I'll get a shot of my 5 minute handywork.

Back