Mudbug94s T-Case swap....V8 AWD to 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mudbug94s T-Case swap....V8 AWD to 4x4

So as some of you know, I was building a 94 explorer monster truck...well that project is long dead and gone. Since then i have gotten a fresh 1998 with the 5.0 and awd 78,x.. on the clock....When i first got it i said to my self i wasnt gonna touch it then i just hated the stockness of it and frankly cant leave well enough alone...I started out by removing the tortion bolts followed by 3 inch lowering blocks in the rear....Then winter came and i happend to wheel it one or twice. After bottoming out on the 6 inch curb getting out of the woods, I realized my days as the shady drug dealer lookin explorer guy were over right then...Two days later it was in my shop gettin some shackles and a hefty TT. followed by some 31x10.50x15 all terrains(got a hellova deal). So one thing led to another and i came to my senses.....I NEED LOW RANGE!!!!! Enough storytelling lets get down to brass tax here..

Through heavy research I have come up with a (need) list..

The Case-97-01 F150 Manual shift borg warner 4406

Rear Shaft-97-01 expedition with a 5.4

Front shaft-this i am going to see if i can make myself using a flang yoke off my 94 (this i will get into deeper wen i get there.) if not its a 97-01 expd. with a 4.6...

This info has led me to further research...Phone calls, Email..and such...here is what ive come up with....

I tracked down a t-case..a manual 4406 still in the truck...and the guy wants $175 for the case,shifter,and all linkage including the boot. good price? need feedback...

As for the rear driveshaft, the same guy has a 99 expd. shaft (5.4) for $50 bucks... and i am thinkin that wen the latest plowing check comes in this swap is a go.... just lookin for someone to chime in case i missed something or just a ''good luck''...oh btw i know about the whole VSS thing and im lookin into that to see wat i have..unless someone knows if the 98 is gear driven or not...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$175 is a SMOKING deal, online they go for $350-1200
see if you can get the driveshafts too, you can always use them

thought so... i am thinking now, since i want to do a sas and its gunna be on leafs...wont that give me all the room i need for a 1356? but then i think i could always re sell my full setup wen the time comes... i just dont know yet but i am pretty sure im gettin the case reguardless....

4406 t case is better then the 1356 IMO, keep it with your SAS

i dont like the slip yoke on the back...certain year broncos had fixed yokes on the 1356....

this is on hold as im workin on the m5odr2 and 1356 swap and much more....lets just say when its done, i might have to leave here for full size bronco...any one know what im up to?

Back