Mudd***** Project #1: Scrap the TTB | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mudd***** Project #1: Scrap the TTB

Mudd***** Project #1: Scrap the TTB / Live Axle Swap

After cracking the passenger side axle housing and frying my driver's side hub and spindle on the last Moab Run, I decided to scrap the TTB. :shoot:

I am going with a 1979 Ford Bronco Dana 44 front high pinion axle, cut down 5.85 inches. It is being rebuilt with new brakes hubs, seals, etc. and stuffed with 4.88's and an oxlocker. To mount the axle on the Explorer I am using the stock radius arms and brackets from the 79 Bronco and 14" stroke dual rate coilovers from sway-away. The driveshaft will be mated to the D44 using a jeep D44 1310 u-joint yoke, which is the same type of u-joint used for the stock D35. Steering will be maintained using a tie rod and drag link with a steering over knuckle conversion from Rockstomper.
The trackbar is going to be mounted onto the drivers side frame rail and braced across the frame to the passenger side to aid in strength.

To match the rear I am using dutchman axles rear replacement axle shafts with 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, and having the stock drums drilled tot he new bolt pattern. For height I am retaining the spring over axle swap using warrior shackles and mountain offroad spring perches and shock mounts. The rear 8.8 will be stuffed with matching 4.88's and a powertrax no-slip differential behind a T/A diff cover.

I have purchased some 35x1250x15 BFG AT/KO's on 15x10 AE589 wheels with the new bolt pattern for my 'street' tires, and am looking into getting another set of 'offroad' tires. I am thinking of either getting 36x1250x15 TSL SX, or maybe some 37x13 Boggers, or maybe the new 37 MTR. I plan on mounting these on beadlocks from avalanche engineering.

Pics coming soon...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I guess you finally got the brackets, huh? Congrats! As for a test run, go somewhere without river sand and I can come too ;) :bounce: Rivers are fine, just not deep, fine sand.

BTW Kris, I have your console sitting in my apt.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Oh, sorry it had to come down to that, but at least S******* is getting built!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

He told us to hush...

Thanks for getting the console for me. If your going to houston any time soon? Randall wants the Old Seats from Fenway. So I might be heading that way soon.

Houston: Maybe in 2 weekends, for sure 4.

Well if Randall need help with anything in a Few weeks I would be willing to drive up there. I know in about a week or so Randall is going to be towing his X to to get the Coil overs done. Right Randall...

I might be able to get it to Houston next weekend, my employer is driving down for something.

next weekend I have Sunday off only.

Hey mud*****, since you are going for bigger tires what are you gonna do with your thornbirds

Ryan

Ryan,

Your a bit late the Thornbirds are gone and on a J**p now.

Though I would help you out there Randall.

Thank you Christoper

Who's Jeep

Ryan

this jeep

Dead Link Removed

thats a damn nice jeep

Ryan

Yep, the truck will hopefully be on its way via trailer to the shop for the coilover mounts within a week or so. The shop that is putting the axle together is having trouble getting the tube straight, but as soon as they have it together I'll get some pics of that nice shiny oxlocker diff cover :cool:

here's a pic of one of the coilovers...

A0809.jpg

Randall,

Is it just me, or are you a bit board.

Who did you get your coilovers from and how much did they run you?

Back