Muffler Heat Shield & Rotor Dust Shields | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muffler Heat Shield & Rotor Dust Shields

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
I'm looking for some parts for a 91-94 Explorer:

eshield1.jpg

eshield2.jpg

Muffler heat shield from a 92-94 Explorer Sport 2-door.
This is the one in the middle, behind the converter heat shield that goes from the engine to the converter, and in front of the heat shield for the tailpipe.
I'm not sure if the muffler heat shields were the same length for the 4-doors and Explorers, but I don't think they are.
The 2-door shield may be the same for 1991-2001 Sports, pics should make it easy to compare.
I know it'd be a hassle to get under and drill out the rivets holding these in,
but if anyone is parting out and has one in great shape, I could use it.

shields.jpg

Brake Rotor dust shields for 91-94 Explorers/Navajos.
The originals rusted through on the lower part and though I could weld in new material and repair them, it'd be less hassle to just get another set.
I did get a bent up set from another member to use in the meantime, but would be interested in any like-new/new sets that are available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many rivets hold the heat shield on?

Could all of them be easily accessed with a common cordless drill? (the catalytic converter would be out of the way since they chop all of those off)

There are two rivets in the front, two in the rear as pictured. They are soft alloy wide head rivets, so a small bit in the very center or a big bit to drill just the head off will make short work of them.

The access problem is because of the exhaust, and even if the cat/pipe/mufler is out of the way, the vehicle is usually too low to the ground to get to it in a salvage yard, without a stubby bit or right angle drill, and getting down in the mud.

If you can find one that'd be awesome, though I'd guess most of the ones in snowy climates are rusted even worse.

Access is not a problem in the two yards I go to. Vehicles are supported by four welded wheel stands, like the one under the bumper of this Explorer. Not sure why they only used one on the front in this case though.

homemade_bumper.jpg

Probably because the strength of the bumper allowed it, or extra thrills when getting under it.

Snow and the mud that results sucks though, almost as much as the sticky mud and clay that stays soft in humid climates.

I'll get some measurements of the heat shield so there will be something to go by.

With the wheel and tire removed, how hard is it to remove the dust shields?

Not very. They are just held in by three bolts, one on either tip at the rear, one at the knuckle. They are easily removed even with the rotors attached - well, easy depending how rusted in the bolts are.

Same thing as the heat shield though, these are usually rusted pretty badly on vehicles used in a winter climate, and you won't be able to tell how badly without cleaning off all the brake dust.

The rusted through ones in the first post looked completely solid when they were covered and caked with brake dust, it wasn't until they were cleaned off and wire brushed that all the rust started falling off and the holes appeared.

I already have another decent set to use, they are just bent up a bit so I'm in search of a near-perfect set from anyone parting out or doing an axle swap. New ones are still available from Ford too, I just would rather get them super cheap if I can.

Really need the muffler heat shield more than the dust shields, those are really just a druther, but if you find a perfect set and a salvage yard doesn't want much for them, great.

[MENTION=3663]Anime[/MENTION], what is your budget, on the muffler shield, on the dust shields, and for all three things?

I have no idea what the yards I go to would charge for either.

[MENTION=14543]toypaseo[/MENTION] PM sent.

Back