Muffler Question!!! (Flowmaster...) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muffler Question!!! (Flowmaster...)

98EBinMO

Reaction score
City, State
West Plains, Mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4x4
Hey- quick question...

I'm gonna be getting a new muffler soon and am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to combine the two 2 1/4 pipes coming from the cats to the muffler into one 3 inch pipe??? I am looking at putting on a 50 series or 40 Delta Flow, and would like to go 3 inch from the cats back (instead of the SUV muffler which has both pipes go in and comes out 3 inch...)

Is this doable, or should I forget it and just buy the $100 Flowmaster SUV muffler???

Thanks to any replies-

:p :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A quality muffler shop should be able to make the pipe if it is doable. Try your local shops, not CarX or Meinike(sp?), I have been told they won't do anything that takes the vehicle out of stock.

That's what I would do, but you'll probably end up spending the same amount of money though.

Dave

Hello...

Thanks BigDave....

I will probably go with the Flowmaster SUV-

Anybody that has one, did you notice a difference in torque or HP???

Is it worth the moola?

Also- did those of you that put one on- did you run the tailpipe out the back, or just put a turndown on it?

THANKS!!!

i just got my dual flows put on this morning. i got the 40 series (not delta) and my ohv v6 sounds like a v8. there is a noticeable difference in acceleration and torque i think it was very worth it.

about your tires

avoid the pirelli scorpions, they are low quality tires! most tire shops around orlando have stopped carrying them, i bought four and 3 days later they were removed! 3 of them were out of round. go with some bfgoodrich or michellins. much better ride and less road noise.

Tire Question...

Deagle Dave,

Thanks for the heads up! I have read nothing but good about the pirelli's, but that was all on TireRack.com...

I have looked at the Michelins and BFG's- but I am cheap and thought the Pirelli's would suffice...

TireRack has the Pirelli's for $66 a tire...

What do you know about the Wrangler RT/S's???

I have a set that came on my rig that has 70,000 miles and still has 1/4 tread, but they are loud and not very good in water (I have read a lot of negative about them in regard to snow and rain...)

Anyway, thanks for the info- that's why I love this site!!!
:confused: :p :D

from what i've heard the wrangler's are great tires. I put BFGoodrich on my explorer and they ride like a dream. the complete set with lifetime mounting/balancing/and roatation was like $430. but then again this is my opinion.

flowmasters

Deagle Dave,
Did you take off the cats for your duals? And how loud is it inside of your explorer?

naw both cats are still there, as far as noise goes with the 40 series you won't need to remove em. only time it is "loud" is accelerating through first gear (i have a 5 speed manual) other than that it makes a great sound. even idling it sounds like a v8. definately worth the money.

sweet

Thats what I was hoping for, I had a flowmaster on my ram and it was loud inside the cab, I didn't want that in my ex..

yeah i'd go regular flowmaster 40 series (non delta) anda get 3" stainless tips....make it look so freakin cool

Back