Multiple broken exhaust studs - best way to repair? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple broken exhaust studs - best way to repair?

Kiwi Sam

Reaction score
City, State
Hawkes Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4.6 V8 Ltd
Hi Everyone
My (right hand drive) 2004 has multiple broken exhaust studs on both sides of the engine .
What would be easier, remove the heads or pull the engine to repair?

If I pulled the engine, any thing else I should do while its out of the car?? (running perfectly otherwise)

Its a 2004 Ltd with 183000 miles with just regular maintainance and rear wheel bearings, all brake discs and pads, battery replaced

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't know which will be easier for you. However, if you pull the engine, then you should inspect the timing guides. At this mileage you may have cracks in the plastic guides. It can be done with the engine in the vehicle, but easier if you have pulled the engine. Check the intake manifold for any warping or cracks. These have been known to develop coolant leaks at high mileage. Check the oil filter adapter gasket for leaks, a common point for oil leaks. Check the freeze plugs for any unusual corrosion. IMHO pulling the engine is a fair amount of work, so If you do it, make the most of it being out of the vehicle and go over everything while you have easy access.

If you pull the engine, you won’t have to do head gaskets or timing chains.

Hi
thats what I thought. Whats the difference between pulling the engine to removing the heads leaving the engine in?

I’ve only pulled heads on the 4.6 while in the car.

Hi
thats what I thought. Whats the difference between pulling the engine to removing the heads leaving the engine in?
Your back. :eek: Working on an engine on a stand is much easier, getting the engine out is the hard work. I would suggest if you're tearing this deep into the engine that you replace the timing chains/guides. Mine went out at 210K, and it wasn't broken guides, the chain had worn all the way through and was grinding on the tensioner.
BTW I have a pair of cam holding tools if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer 2Trux but im in New Zealand, so a bit far!!
any tips on removing the engine?

There are a few good videos on youtube that can help you out on those, most refer to the 5.4, but they will work on the 4.6

Back