Multiple codes on (new for me) explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple codes on (new for me) explorer

cotech

Reaction score
City, State
Lekkerkerk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer EB
Hi all!

Last week I picked up my "new" 1994 explorer. It's an amazing car!

The problem I am having is that the TCC does not seem to lock up and I have no overdrive.
I have researched these problems extensively on this forum but cannot find the reason for it not working.

I have pulled the error codes :

116 engine coolant sensor
114 IAT sensonr out of range
335 EGR feedback is/was out of range
539 A/C pin 10 is on
566 transmission 3/4 solenoid/cicuit
629 torque convertor clutch circuit

Also the "while driving" codes:

The wiring harness does not seem tot touch the exhaust manifold, I crawled under the car but could not easily see the wires...
There is a connector just next to the ECM with 4 wires in it, it's sort of square. Are those the right wires? The connector seems to have some oxidation in it...

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I live in The Netherlands, so I can't just drive up to a Ford dealer, they would not know what to do with US cars!

gr,

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KOEO 116 and 114 are often operator error codes. The PCM expects to see the engine at or near operating temperature during the KOEO test, so, when you perform the test on a cold engine, these codes result. Make sure the engine is warmed up and repeat the test to see if these two codes go away.

KOEO 335 indicates a fault in the DPFE (EGR pressure sensor) circuit. Inspect the wiring to the EGR sensor and repair any breaks/cuts/loose connections. If the wiring all checks out, then replace the DPFE (this is a fairly common problem - it seems that the DPFE gets corroded inside).

KOEO 566 and 629 indicate a fault in the circuits to those two solenoids in the transmission (probably related to the transmission issue). Locate the wiring going to the transmission and trace. Gut feel is that something is unplugged somewhere.

There is a connector just next to the ECM with 4 wires in it, it's sort of square. Are those the right wires? The connector seems to have some oxidation in it...
Not sure what these four wires are for, I don't recall a four wire connector near the PCM on my '92. Do the wires originate with the PCM? Can you identify the pin numbers, if they do? Can you identify the wire colors and compare to a wiring diagram?

At this point, I would probably not worry about the CM codes. Note them somewhere, clear CM, then, after resolving some of these other issues, we will check to see if these are coming back or not.

Well MrShorty, your gut feeling was correct!
I was focusing to much on the connector under the hood, but I took your advise and found a wiring diagram for the transmission. I don't know what the connector is for, but it's not for the transmission.
It's freezing and snowing here and was 9 o'clock at night (dark) but I couldn't stop myself crawling under the car. I finally located the wires and connector but it seemed connected. I pushed it up with a finger and it came loose from the gearbox. It wasn't connected right! I pushed it back and now it clicked into place.
went out for a testdrive just now and TCC and overdrive work perfectly! I couldn't be happier! :thumbsup:

Btw I did KOEO tests with a cold engine, so that will probably explain the first two codes. I will check the DPFE this weekend.

Thanks for the help!

Gr,

Chris

How do I pull codes for my 2002 explorer and the "while driving" codes as mentioned.

@Loko498: You will need an OBD2 scanner to pull codes on your 2002. Just plug the scanner into the connector and follow the instructions for the tool.

Back