• Register Today It's free!

Multiple Codes

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
City, State
Hoover, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 3.5L
My brother in law has a 2002 Explorer 4.0 (K engine) and his truck is throwing the following codes:

P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

P1151 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

Below codes are pending codes:
P0153 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank2, Sensor1)

P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1

P0174 - System Too Lean Bank 2

Most of these suggest the Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the culprit, but what is throwing me off is the P0172 code. Maybe its just a coincidence.

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My brother in law has a 2002 Explorer 4.0 (K engine) and his truck is throwing the following codes:

P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

P1151 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

Below codes are pending codes:
P0153 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank2, Sensor1)

P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1

P0174 - System Too Lean Bank 2

Most of these suggest the Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the culprit, but what is throwing me off is the P0172 code. Maybe its just a coincidence.

What do you guys think?

Is the truck running poorly, or normally? imp

He has complained that his gas millage has gone down significantly.

P0172 may not be related to the primary issue. Depending on age/mileage, I would replace the oxygen sensor. imp

I erased the codes and the pending ones didn't come back, so they must have been one time occurrence.

I went ahead and changed the HOS2-2,1 sensor, so lets see how it reacts after a few drive cycles.

I'll post results after a few days of driving.

I erased the codes and the pending ones didn't come back, so they must have been one time occurrence.

I went ahead and changed the HOS2-2,1 sensor, so lets see how it reacts after a few drive cycles.

I'll post results after a few days of driving.

As I understand things, if an intermittent fault occurs rarely, it will not likely throw a code, something like a hundred or more repeat "trouble sightings" of the same type must occur to repeat throwing a code.

So, if something's sticky, now and then, like an EGR valve moves OK, then doesn't one time, then does, no code thrown. imp

Update: No more codes so the O2 must have been bad or degrading.

Back