Multiple DTCs need help please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple DTCs need help please!

lss1six

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 4.0L SOHC
It's been awhile since i've been on here, but my 2000 explorer 4.0 sohc has been good to me until recently. Just about to hit 306k and haven't any serious problems except timing chains (thanks ford for making us have to pull the engine) Now all of sudden it's everything at once, and I'm going to try and explain this the best I can. It started with codes P0455 and P0457 and the check gas cap light was on, so I replaced the gas cap, checked the filler hoses for cracks, and replaced both the purge and vent solenoids. The lights stayed off for awhile, but they soon all came back. Then my hvac started having problems. The air would stop blowing out of the vents and divert to the defrost vents when the engine was under load (i'm guessing vacuum leak?) Then this morning I got in it and soon as it started #3 cylinder had a miss and never went away (p0303) Plugs and wires are only a few months old and there is definitely spark at the coil when I pulled the wire off the coil. I also have a code p0171 but I think thats due to a slight leak at the manifold and y pipe. I don't know if this is all related but any help would be greatly appreciated because I am stumped. Thank you

I just stumbled over this and noticed no one has answered your post yet.
So here's my 2 cents:

It's a lot of stuff all those symptoms. And if I understand they all occurred very recently within a short timespan.
So I would definitely consider the possibility of electrical problems to be behind these symptoms in this case.
It might potentially explain some of that and could maybe relate at least some of those symptoms to one cause.

I would definitely Check these connectors here:
2nd gen issues? Try this first!

I would also check the battery and very importantly the ground terminal of the battery as well!
And I would check the alternator.
And I would also measure the voltage at some of the fuses involved to find out if these circuits that are involved/related to the symptoms are powered properly.

Electric problems could even also explain the lean code, in case the fuel pump shouldn't be powered properly.
If the voltage drops or is a bit too low because of a bad battery or bad ground or whatever, then the fuel pump could effectively be weaker and not produce the full pressure necessary, also a bunch of sensors can then report false values to the PCM and things like that.
So a lot of problems that appear unrelated can result from electric issues.

Last but not least, since you're suspecting to have a vacuum leak also, I'd recommend checking for those with cigar smoke like this:

Get a cigar and a transparent long enough hose to stick inside the thick hose going to the break booster.
Disonnect that thick vacuum hose at the end of the break booster and stick the long transparent hose in there so that they seal themselves somewhat. And then light the cigar and keep blowing a lot of cigar smoke in there
But try to avoid getting too much saliva into the intake manifold and make sure not to blow any particles of tobacco leaves from the cigar in there. That is why a transparent hose is good for this, so you can keep an eye on that.

And while you or a friend blows smoke into the hose and intake manifold you check the vacuum hoses all over the engine compartment and the seals of the intake etc.. if any smoke comes out anywhere.
This method works almost as good as hooking up a smoke machine and is much better and saver than the carb cleaner that is often described.

Other than that, good luck!

Back