Multiple issues: Fuel Gauge, EGR Valve, Cruise Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer 4.0L SOHC 4WD
Well... Seems I've made more work for myself...

About six months ago I undertook two jobs that tested my skill level. Both with guidance from this blog, as well as hours spent under and above my '02 (June '01) Explorer Sport V6, 4.0L 4x4. I am currently dealing with multiple issues, and I'm looking for some guidance.

First, I had to replace the valve gaskets.See link: HERE

This job took SO LONG because of the intake manifold and EGR tube removal. I read on here that I could get the passenger side cover off without removing the EGR tube by bending it. TERRIBLE IDEA, and it DID NOT WORK. When I finally got the EGR tube and valve cover off it was smooth sailing, but I seem to have several problems, first of which is a code for the EGR valve.

After having bent it, I tried for hours to get it back to the correct shape. Still, it did not bolt into the intake manifold correctly when I re-installed it. The truck is running roughly, and uses more gas than it did, which is symptomatic of this, if I am correct.

The second problem I am having after this job is with my cruise control, which stopped working directly afterwards. I seem to have more slack than I anticipated in the cable coming from the throttle, so I am not sure what the problem is there, as it seems to be connected and routed correctly. Could the CC unit have gone bad here, or what should I check first? Anyone ever have problems with re-connect to throttle that were easily solved?

Directly after completing this valve gasket job, my fuel pump went out (literally two days I drove it, and then it quit). At first, I thought the rough starts and multiple tries on cranking was related to issues I may have caused by doing the valve gasket job, but then it just gave out and there was no question what the problem was. I got that accomplished (at 3am), but ever since, my fuel gauge reads empty and my "Check Gauge" light is on. I plan to drop the tank again, but wanted any thoughts on this. I have read that it could be the "float", or it could be electrical. I also wonder if the part was faulty from the get-go, but I bought it new from O'Reilly, so it wasn't used. I've replaced several things lately (alternator on an 04 Camry, and starter on an 05 Tahoe) that were both new and faulty out of the box. Both were immediately handled, but I couldn't do anything about my fuel guage as I neded to drive the vehicle and it didn't cause it not to work. Oh, and did I mention it was 3am?

As a side note, I have recently repaired the ground wire in the boot of the driver door after my windows quit working. Since these jobs, my radio has not turned off on its own, and I have to be careful with the lights staying on inside the car (dome lights). When I repaired the wire in the door, I did not notice any other wires that were broken, and my rear wiper works again, as do my windows and apparently my locks/anti-theft system.

If anyone has any ideas on these three things, I would greatly appreciate feedback, as they all occured after my two "big jobs".

Thanks to everyone on this blog, I've saved over $2000 in repair costs, though I need to figure out these issues.

Back