Multiple issues looking for help 95 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple issues looking for help 95 xlt

Josh_IT

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995, ford explorer 4door
I'm looking for some help with a 95' ford explorer. Having a lot of issues with it right now and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated I know some basics when it comes to vehicles but I do not have any in-depth knowledge. Trying to put as little as possible into fixing it as it has 300k miles and is not worth too much.

-Windows leaking.
-Headliner replacement (already removed).
-Buzzing sound in steering column, stops when turn signal is up or down.
-Power windows not functioning at all. (Believe it's an issue with the wiring)
-Driver side front window off track not staying up.
-AC not working (Believe there is a leak somewhere as it still puts out warm air on ac)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do your hear the motors trying to work (humming) on the windows? ....were they working fine then SUDDENLY stopped working or gradually went from struggling to nada ?
You could get a AC refrigerant kit for $25 complete and charge up AC ....if it works for a bit....hours / days....then back to moderate temp then that of course confirms a leak, and then can ponder if want to invest in repair...which might not be too costly depending on location. If no change / gauge not showing low pressure then you know it's something even more costly --compressor / condenser etc and decide from there.

Do your hear the motors trying to work (humming) on the windows? ....were they working fine then SUDDENLY stopped working or gradually went from struggling to nada ?
You could get a AC refrigerant kit for $25 complete and charge up AC ....if it works for a bit....hours / days....then back to moderate temp then that of course confirms a leak, and then can ponder if want to invest in repair...which might not be too costly depending on location. If no change / gauge not showing low pressure then you know it's something even more costly --compressor / condenser etc and decide from there.
The motors were working in the windows fine besides the driver one which would only go down a little bit then struggle. A few days ago the buttons themselves stopped working and none of the windows will go up or down. My main worry right now is the buzzing sound from the steering column and the leaking.

1. you can buy a new turn signal from rockauto for around $30 . I brought two, one for spare and one two take apart. That buzzing happen for me, when I used my turn signal, it comes and goes.
2.the AC for my car was leaking at the inlet of the evaporator. For years I added a can of r134. Last year I replaced the evaporator And high pressure line. About $60. Now my AC compressor lockup. To replaced everything $300 all new system.
3. I do have a driver side window problem, slow going down. I replaced the motor some years ago.

For the turn signal it's a constant buzz and only stops when I use the turn signal.

For the turn signal it's a constant buzz and only stops when I use the turn signal.
Buzzing sound could be a failing turn switch in the column, a guess. Under $50 and maybe an hour or so of work. Could also be a loose wire.

Windows? could be a lot of things. You are going to need a wiring diagram to trace where the problem is. I think the switches talk to a computer in the dash and that switches the windows thru a relay.

These problems sound fixable, depends if you want to keep it.

Buzzing sound could be a failing turn switch in the column, a guess. Under $50 and maybe an hour or so of work. Could also be a loose wire.

Windows? could be a lot of things. You are going to need a wiring diagram to trace where the problem is. I think the switches talk to a computer in the dash and that switches the windows thru a relay.

These problems sound fixable, depends if you want to keep it.
The buzzing in the steering column stopped. It has never done it before. The power windows are now functioning again, but the motor for the driver and passenger side doors don't work. The driver-side window also seems to be off track in some way. I'm guessing there is a wiring issue in the door hinge area that caused the power windows to stop working. I found a blown fuse and replaced it, which made the 4x4 indicator stop randomly popping up beside the speedometer. My main focus as of now is to get a replacement headliner and to stop the leaking. I also would like to get the driver-side window working again.

Back