Multiple issues with 2016 Platinum and hoping someone has had similar problems and can advise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple issues with 2016 Platinum and hoping someone has had similar problems and can advise

Oofties

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Platinum Explorer
Hi,

I tried a conversation directly with Ford "Customer Service" on here and got NO response...hoping some of you have some recommendations!

I'm hoping someone out here can help me with some issues with my Explorer. I took it in back in December for MULTIPLE issues (because the dealerships are not conveniently located to me) and was told on the majority of them that "the problem could not be duplicated" or basically the "system is working normally". Of course these things are all random, but they most definitely DO occur, I am about at the end of my warranty (36,000 miles), and would like to get these things resolved BEFORE that happens. As per the service rep, Ford will not honor any continuing issues after the warranty expires even though they were brought to their attention PRIOR to the warranty expiring. Needless to say, we have not been impressed. I'm hoping once I give you a list the issues experienced with my car, that you have had feedback from other members and have recommendations for me when I take the car back (not that they seem to listen, as I gave them a TSB for the seat memory and they said "seat memory is working normally. Advise cus on operation"..The assumption that I don't understand how to work a seat memory/function is quite the insult...

So here they are (Ford's responses" were all noted on the invoice I received when I picked up my car):

1) Periodically, there is an oil smell after driving the vehicle..there are no leaks and no rhyme or reason to when it happens. Very random. Ford's response: "checked for any leaks. None Found. NPF"

2) After backing my vehicle up and putting into drive, the car makes a "clunking" sound and lurches forward. the car is stored in the garage. It is a bit random, but does seem to be when it's sat overnight and it's a little cooler out (Service was advised of this). Ford's response: "No noise heard at this time car was tested multiple times under different driving conditions"

3) The front windows chatter slightly when they drop (my husband felt they needed adjusting). Ford's response: "Windows are operation normally lubed window splines"

4) We have issues where the seat, mirrors, etc.. do not go back to the programmed setting. We ARE operating the seats correctly (AKA, not holding the button down when changing settings, etc..as they indicated). I gave my service rep a TSB number of this problem (TSB-16-0090). Ford's response: "seat memory is working normally. Advise cust on operation" (again, an insult). However, there is a non service bulletin on this and this is definitely still an issue with my car!

5) I get an error periodically that says "Navigation SD Card Fault. Please insert a valid SD Card OR use Turn-by-Turn Directions from SYNC Services." This is very random and usually when a phone charger is plugged into the USB port. Neither of the front chargers will work, nor the navigation. The secondary SD card gets the same error message, and the only thing that will reset it is to shut the car off for awhile and restart it. I showed the service rep this error message, as I had a picture of it on my phone. Ford's response: "Found not faults no codes in system"

6) The rear drivers side seat does not fold automatically when the button is pushed. This was brought in right after I received the car and they said we needed to move the drivers seat more forward. Well guess what? It still didn't work. Brought it back. Ford's response: "Bottle ubstrucking fold pattern". Guess, what? It still doesn't work

7) We have issues where what Ford calls the "proximity sensors" will start beeping like I'm too close to something. The problem with that is i'm usually in the middle of a lane with NO ONE around me. Ford's response: "nothing around. Reduced sensitivity in settings sensitivity was set on the highest setting" Didn't fix the problem...still doing it.

8) We have had an issue a few times when we shut the car off and the stereo stays on. We've tried restarting the car and shutting it back off. We've tried opening the car door and shutting it once the ignition is off and a few other things. The only thing that worked was to disconnect the battery. Ford's response: "electrical repairs to include wiring, airbag, anti-lock brake systems, computer modules. Did not experience issue". So apparently nothing was fixed or wrong.

9) This issue just popped up yesterday. The picture of the engine appeared on my dash. Looked up what it ment in my manual and read this: "Service Engine Soon. If the service engine soon indicator light stays illuminated after you start the engine, it indicates that the On Board Diagnostics System (OBD) has detected a malfunction of the vehicle emissions control systems......"

So since I must bring my car in for this check engine/emissions issue, I would like all the other issues actually addressed and handled appropriately. I am hoping you can have heard similar complaints from other Explorer owners and have some guidance and recommendations for me. Also, do you recommend taking to the same dealership or a different one? The dealership I dealt with was Damerow Ford and was NOT impressed...

Thank you!
Denise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Denise.:wave:

1) Is it an oil or exhaust smell? If oil, it could be a PTU leak. If exhaust, there are several threads on that; Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

2)The vehicle does make a very slight bump when started up and driven forward. That is the ABS 'self check' but it should not cause a forward lurch. Otherwise it sounds like a possible issue with the transmission or drive train.

3) check out these threads; Windows stutter... AND 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's

4) You have the correct TSB; 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's Perhaps you should demonstrate your procedure to the dealer when you are there.

5) check out; "NAV SD Card Fault" In regards to the have you checked the Manual to see if there is a fuse assigned for those?

6) Does the seat begin to fold at all?

7) Can you tell if it is the front or rear sensors?

8) see this thread; My Radio Kept Playing After I left My Vehicle .... Odd... Instead of disconnecting the battery for this since that also affects other system, check back after 15 minutes or so after shutting the vehicle OFF to see if the Battery Saver Program has turned it OFF. It is supposed to shut items down after 10 minutes.

9) Have dealer check for any stored trouble codes when you're there or if you have an auto parts store nearby see if they can scan it.

You are not required to go to the selling dealer, if that is where you went. You can go to any authorized Ford dealer.

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter! I really appreciate it and will look at those forums when I get a little more time.

In regards to the seat folding, it folds down the back of the seat, but then stops there. I have tried having the drivers seat all the way forward, and it still does it.

In regards to the sensors, it's primarily the side sensors, and mainly the ones more front and side.

Thanks for the reply Peter! I really appreciate it and will look at those forums when I get a little more time.

In regards to the seat folding, it folds down the back of the seat, but then stops there. I have tried having the drivers seat all the way forward, and it still does it.

In regards to the sensors, it's primarily the side sensors, and mainly the ones more front and side.
Regarding the seat, the position of the front seat has nothing to do with the operation of the 2nd row seat. It only comes into play when the seat folds AND tumbles forward. This is because of the headrest. Next time you try it, look and see if the release handle on the bottom side of the seat moves at all. Can you manually tumble it?
Not sure what the sensor issue might be. I'm guessing that the sensors themselves are clean.

Peter

The handle DOES move up and down..it just doesn't continue folding the seat

A
The handle DOES move up and down..it just doesn't continue folding the seat
lt almost sounds as though something has disconnected or the item that powers that part of the seat isn't working. Seems like a possible warranty issue to me if it is the latter.

Back