Multiple issues with our 2012 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple issues with our 2012 Explorer

Reimer

Reaction score
City, State
Benbrook, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 2.0
My wife has a 2012 Explorer with the 2.0 and I can say this is probably the most frustrating vehicle we have ever owned. I have already replaced a strut bearing and passenger side cv axle. We have just recently crossed over the 100,000 mile mark and suddenly, like someone flipped a switch, we have quite a few problems.
1. Climate controls have a mind of their own. No matter what I do, I can not get the climate control off the auto setting. If I push the power button off, it turns itself back on almost immediately.
2. We now have the phantom wiper problem. But this appears to be an easy fix if it's just the switch.
3. The windshield/a-pillar buzzing noise has been present for as long as we have had it. This isnt that if of a deal, but little things like this adding up is becoming a problem with this vehicle.
4. The most concerning issue is that we now have the dreaded "underboost" code. The first time the light came on, I took it to autozone and they reset it. One week later, and it's on again. Both times the light came on when I was going 80-85 mph. Noticed to be a slight loss of power for a bit, but it wasn't even significant enough that if the check engine light wasn't on, I may not have noticed it. The car also has a "rattling" noise upon cold start up and when coasting or letting off the throttle. I always thought this was the wastegate valve, but I'm not so sure. This is the first Ford vehicle I regret purchasing and it has me rethinking buying nothing but Fords.

Can anyone give me any guidance on these issues? Mainly the climate control and turbo underboost issues. I think I'll just replace the windshield wiper switch, but I have no clue about what to do with the others. The car is obviously out of warranty and I want to avoid paying a fortune to the dealer as my wife's job is suddenly in question. I would be hoping to make any repairs myself with YouTube videos and lots of beer.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Has the issue with the climate controls always existed or is that new? I always have mine on 'Auto'.
The phantom wiper issue has a TSB on it and it was done for free while under warranty. On my 2011 Limited they replaced a control module but the issue still was there but not as frequently. My previous 2014 MKT and my current 2017 Platinum also still exhibit this behaviour occasionally. I think the only way to permanently stop it is to change the wiper setting back to manual operation.
The 'A' pillar buzzing also has a TSB on it and you could have had that fixed while under warranty.
As for the "underboost code", that has not been brought up before to my knowledge. Is there a code number?
If you are interested in replacing the 'A' pillar yourself, check out this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/explorer-a-pillar-replacement.444879/
Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Has the issue with the climate controls always existed or is that new? I always have mine on 'Auto'.
The phantom wiper issue has a TSB on it and it was done for free while under warranty. On my 2011 Limited they replaced a control module but the issue still was there but not as frequently. My previous 2014 MKT and my current 2017 Platinum also still exhibit this behaviour occasionally. I think the only way to permanently stop it is to change the wiper setting back to manual operation.
The 'A' pillar buzzing also has a TSB on it and you could have had that fixed while under warranty.
As for the "underboost code", that has not been brought up before to my knowledge. Is there a code number?
If you are interested in replacing the 'A' pillar yourself, check out this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/explorer-a-pillar-replacement.444879/
Good luck.

Peter

The climate control problems started a couple of months ago. Not that big of a deal as the a/c and heater still function. It's mainly just an annoyance that i can control the fan speeds or even turn everything completely off.

As for the underboost code, I think it was PO299.

If the error code is P0299, I believe this is a fairly accurate synopsis:

http://www.hotshotsecret.com/diagnostic-trouble-code-p0299/

"P0299 – Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) continuously monitors the turbocharger system for an underboost condition. The PCM checks for a minimum Throttle Intake Pressure (TIP) Parameter Identification (PID) reading during engine operation, which indicates an underboost condition. DTC P0299 sets when the PCM detects that the actual throttle intake pressure is less than the desired throttle intake pressure by 27.6 kPa (4 psi) or more for 5 seconds.

Possible Causes

• Damaged turbocharger (TC) wastegate regulating valve solenoid
  • Stuck TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve
  • Wastegate stuck open
  • Wastegate control hose open or plugged
  • Air leak between turbocharger and throttle
Test Procedure

Check tubing for obstructions, cracks, and incorrect fitting connections. Also check the turbocharger wastegate regulating valve solenoid for correct operation."

Unfortunately if it's a wastegate issue, I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you will have to replace the turbo also because it is all one unit.

Reimer, Did you ever figure out what the problem was related to the P0299 Turbo Underboost code?

Reimer, Did you ever figure out what the problem was related to the P0299 Turbo Underboost code?

No. I checked everything I could to make sure there were no loose connections or anything. After driving for a while the light went off again and has stayed off. Both times the light came on I was going 85-90 mph. Right now I'm needing to pin point why the a/c automatically switches to auto. I've also noticed my hazard lights button doesn't work and the radio tuner button doesn't work. I'm going to try getting a new control panel from a wrecking yard.

Back