Multiple suspension noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

tbird462002

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone else have a 2020 and have all sorts of random suspension noises?

My ST is making multiple noises from the front suspension that sounds like something is loose when going over bumpy roads. There's also clicking sounds when you get on the brakes going downhill and come to a stop. On occasion it also makes a popping sound from the rear under heavy brake pressure.

Took it to my dealer and they said they hear multiple intermittent noises but they can't figure it out. They told me the car is so new I should just deal with it for another 3k until the first oil change.

Everything was fine until about 1200 miles.

I have to say I am more than displeased with the build quality of these things especially when they are in the 60k range. Ford needs to get their act together and vet these problems out before releasing a product to the public. Not suprised they 10k + explorers sitting at flat Rock awaiting repairs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ST is making multiple noises from the front suspension that sounds like something is loose when going over bumpy roads. There's also clicking sounds when you get on the brakes going downhill and come to a stop. On occasion it also makes a popping sound from the rear under heavy brake pressure.

Took it to my dealer and they said they hear multiple intermittent noises but they can't figure it out. They told me the car is so new I should just deal with it for another 3k until the first oil change.

I have to say I am more than displeased with the build quality of these things especially when they are in the 60k range. Ford needs to get their act together and vet these problems out before releasing a product to the public. Not suprised they 10k + explorers sitting at flat Rock awaiting repairs.

same problem on mine. such a terrible car for $60k.....should of bought a Macan or 4 Runner

Ford Mgt IQ=Ford Stock Price

I have the brake “popping” sound, especially when braking downhill. It’s like a muffled repeated pop.

Same here when braking hard.

Just a wild a** guess, could this have something to do with the ABS?

Last edited:

I have the same odd sound in my front suspension like something is loose. I don't hear it on hard bumps, but rather on uneven pavement and very small bumps. It sounds like something just isn't connected properly, and makes a slight knocking sound. Oddly enough, I occasionally hear almost the same noise when the engine starts, either from a cold start or the auto stop/start. Engine mount perhaps?? I had the dealer inspect the vehicle and they found nothing loose. I know I can hear it, and that I'm not crazy!! Something is wrong here.

I have the same odd sound in my front suspension like something is loose. I don't hear it on hard bumps, but rather on uneven pavement and very small bumps. It sounds like something just isn't connected properly, and makes a slight knocking sound. Oddly enough, I occasionally hear almost the same noise when the engine starts, either from a cold start or the auto stop/start. Engine mount perhaps?? I had the dealer inspect the vehicle and they found nothing loose. I know I can hear it, and that I'm not crazy!! Something is wrong here.

You could not explain the sound I have any better that is exactly it!

My dealer couldn't find anything either.

My dealer found the “clunking” noise over low speed bumps. They thought it was the strut and replaced it.... but nope the noise is still there. And the ST is still in the shop. Is it too late to have ford buy it back?

My dealer found the “clunking” noise over low speed bumps. They thought it was the strut and replaced it.... but nope the noise is still there. And the ST is still in the shop. Is it too late to have ford buy it back?

I bought my ST after Chevy bought back our 2019 Traverse as a lemon. I’m starting to wonder if this vehicle might be worse...

So they didnt find the noise.

Dealer said they took lower control arm and strut off another ST and will test drive in the morning to check for clunking noise. I guess parts are in short supply if they are using another ST. Ill keep you updated if they actually can fix the problem.

Just purchased a 2020 Platinum and noticed after the first day, a subtle noise coming from the front end when going over slight bumps at lower speeds. This noise can be replicated by opening the hood, and gently banging on the strut brace that connects the strut tops when the car is stationary, engine off. Its the black brace that spans across the engine. The noise appears to be coming from the front bumper area, and appears to be coming from the lower drivers side area. Its currently in the shop now for this, plus the illuminated door sill on the drivers side does not light up, and a piece of the "R" on the illuminated sill on the passenger side writing is missing.

I am in complete agreement with many on this board, that the price paid for the quality received is lacking in certain areas, but not all thankfully. I am however becoming less impressed with whats happening at Ford under the current leadership of bean counters that appear to be influencing the part quality in favor of larger margins. We also have a 2018 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0L Diesel truck. The quality of this truck completely meets its price tag expectations. Cant say that for the new Explorer unfortunately.

We have however on the F150 most certainly noticed the absence of several previous luxuries such as the lack of multi colored ambient lighting (which is now only blue), but the multi-colored ambient was present in 2017's and before. Removed on the 2018's. On my 2018, it has a CD player...on the 2019...that went away although the price increased. I am thinking that the general public don't notice these removals...but we do. What else have they robbed that we can't see?....

Well, its becoming easier to see..... the latest 2020 edition of the Explorer, even the platinum has been substantially cheapened out compared to previous models. The doors when closing have a cheap rattle instead of a nice 'thunk'. The lower parts of the door trims are cheap ass plastic, with no soft inserts like before. These are a few elements we noticed..... I am trying to keep a positive outlook for this vehicle, but it does bother me a lot that Ford is trying to pear down to save costs and to increase margins, but now...we can actually see through what they have done with this model....to the point of it being blatantly obvious on the eyes.

I will update on the front end noise, and am committed to finding the source of it, even if the dealership can't. Other than that, it does drive really nicely, and I am hoping that it will be as good as I think it could be, despite the damage done by the bloody bean counters so far.

Thanks for letting me join the forum. Regards /m

Last edited:

Just purchased a 2020 Platinum and noticed after the first day, a subtle noise coming from the front end when going over slight bumps at lower speeds. This noise can be replicated by opening the hood, and gently banging on the strut brace that connects the strut tops when the car is stationary, engine off. Its the black brace that spans across the engine. The noise appears to be coming from the front bumper area, and appears to be coming from the lower drivers side area. Its currently in the shop now for this, plus the illuminated door sill on the drivers side does not light up, and a piece of the "R" on the illuminated sill on the passenger side writing is missing.

I am in complete agreement with many on this board, that the price paid for the quality received is lacking in certain areas, but not all thankfully. I am however becoming less impressed with whats happening at Ford under the current leadership of bean counters that appear to be influencing the part quality in favor of larger margins. We also have a 2018 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0L Diesel truck. The quality of this truck completely meets its price tag expectations. Cant say that for the new Explorer unfortunately.

We have however on the F150 most certainly noticed the absence of several previous luxuries such as the lack of multi colored ambient lighting (which is now only blue), but the multi-colored ambient was present in 2017's and before. Removed on the 2018's. On my 2018, it has a CD player...on the 2019...that went away although the price increased. I am thinking that the general public don't notice these removals...but we do. What else have they robbed that we can't see?....

Well, its becoming easier to see..... the latest 2020 edition of the Explorer, even the platinum has been substantially cheapened out compared to previous models. The doors when closing have a cheap rattle instead of a nice 'thunk'. The lower parts of the door trims are cheap ass plastic, with no soft inserts like before. These are a few elements we noticed..... I am trying to keep a positive outlook for this vehicle, but it does bother me a lot that Ford is trying to pear down to save costs and to increase margins, but now...we can actually see through what they have done with this model....to the point of it being blatantly obvious on the eyes.

I will update on the front end noise, and am committed to finding the source of it, even if the dealership can't. Other than that, it does drive really nicely, and I am hoping that it will be as good as I think it could be, despite the damage done by the bloody bean counters so far.

Thanks for letting me join the forum. Regards /m

Good catch on the noise coming from the strut tower brace. Mine does it as well!! The noise comes from the silver tube closest to the wheel that comes in contact with the brace, so I put a piece of the fuzzy side of Velcro between the brace and tube. Now only if I could test it...just detailed the car and it’s raining. It will have to wait until Friday. Will keep everyone updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good catch on the noise coming from the strut tower brace. Mine does it as well!! The noise comes from the silver tube closest to the wheel that comes in contact with the brace, so I put a piece of the fuzzy side of Velcro between the brace and tube. Now only if I could test it...just detailed the car and it’s raining. It will have to wait until Friday. Will keep everyone updated.

Yep, keep us up to date. It seems like all ST drivers posted this noise from front ABS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m fairly sure that what I just fixed isn’t the clunking noise I’ve been hearing, but it’s worth a shot and might at least eliminate it as a possibility. The ABS comment seems more logical. I’ve noticed that when I press the brakes slightly the clunking isn’t as noticeable. What an annoying design defect. If it can’t be fixed, it honestly will make me think twice about keeping it. Iowa roads are crap the way it is, and this makes it worse, never mind the fact that you feel EVERY tiny little bump in this thing. I think I felt it when I drove over a hair laying on the road.

Back