Multiple suspension noises | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Took my Platinum in for the third or fourth time for the suspension noise. This time hoping it was the heat shield. Nope. Still heard nothing from Ford regarding the CAS I filed with them.
I finally got to the settlement numbers with the Ford RAV dept. But they are now shut down for 3 weeks due to the Corona virus. My dealer has had me in a nice f150 lariat 4x4 since 12/23/2019. Long process but it is getting close to conclusion finally. Wont be able to get my check till they get back in 3 weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, give this a try on this clunking noise in the front end. It's always sounded like plastic to me. I finally found this air intake was loose. I strapped it to stop it from moving and virtually all the noise is gone. Its the air intake tube under the larger top tube. You have to reach under to grab it but it will wobble. Pics included.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 155

Ok, give this a try on this clunking noise in the front end. It's always sounded like plastic to me. I finally found this air intake was loose. I strapped it to stop it from moving and virtually all the noise is gone. Its the air intake tube under the larger top tube. You have to reach under to grab it but it will wobble. Pics included.
Whoa, this is awesome. I'll be in the garage tomorrow with a hand full of bunnies(S) I'll let you know what happens.

Whoa, this is awesome. I'll be in the garage tomorrow with a hand full of bunnies(S) I'll let you know what happens.
I strapped the upper and lower plastic tubes together with a bungee and then took all the slack out strapping it to the stiffening cross bar. Now I need to find a permanent solution. Hope it works for you.

I strapped the upper and lower plastic tubes together with a bungee and then took all the slack out strapping it to the stiffening cross bar. Now I need to find a permanent solution. Hope it works for you.

Looked at my intake tubing & yes it was loose but not hitting anything. Did the bungie cord thing just to tighten it up . Will see if it helps .

I've got some really long zip ties for a temp fix but they probably won't stand the high temperatures.

Looked at my intake tubing & yes it was loose but not hitting anything. Did the bungie cord thing just to tighten it up . Will see if it helps .
It didn't really bang against anything, but banged against the connections. Strapping that tube to the one above with with the bungee got rid of the slack so it would not move. I've been driving on the same roads for a week that always caused the sounds and they are basically gone. I think I need to strap it even better but this seems to pass the test.

I've got some really long zip ties for a temp fix but they probably won't stand the high temperatures.
So far the bungee cord has survived a week with testing this out but a longer term solution will be needed. Now I'll probably take it to the shop and make them to something about it.

Well, as others have discovered, the lower tube was loose. I secured it with a zip tie but, unfortunately it didn't have any effect on the suspension rattle. Guess I just keep trying while I wait for Ford to find a fix for those of us suffering.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 137

Well, as others have discovered, the lower tube was loose. I secured it with a zip tie but, unfortunately it didn't have any effect on the suspension rattle. Guess I just keep trying while I wait for Ford to find a fix for those of us suffering.

Oh well, it was worth a shot !

I was just wondering now that you have 2 items tied to each other if vibrations might cause issues down the road with the 2 parts rubbing.

Peter

I was just wondering now that you have 2 items tied to each other if vibrations might cause issues down the road with the 2 parts rubbing.

Peter
Peter, the parts are not close to each other but, since the suggested fix didn't work I'll probably remove it. With our shelter-in-place orders we're not driving much anyway. I've driven less than 100 miles in the last month. Not fun.

Is there a way to upload a video in here?
took some footage of noise I currently have myself

Is there a way to upload a video in here?
took some footage of noise I currently have myself
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Yes, there is a way but I've never done it. I'm guessing it would be similar to posting a picture file.

Peter

Found a way :)
Just posted video of my noise. It comes from the passenger side
flapping or a baseball card in the spokes sound" when i am accelerating at different speeds

Broken fan/serpent belt ?

Passenger side wheel hub bearing broken?

Brake shoe?

I think a broken belt would be easy enough to diagnose just by checking it. Does the noise go away when applying brakes? Does the noise increase as your speed increases? I wonder if it could be the cowl fluttering?

Peter

Noise does go away when brakes are applied. I start hearing it at 10-12mph

Noise does go away when brakes are applied. I start hearing it at 10-12mph
That would seem to eliminate the possibility of a loose cowl. Probably best to have the dealer check it out when that is possible.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just dropped it off
Hope it’s nothing major- it’s just the knocking/flapping sound is not good
My oil life is at 56% however. Oil change not due in another 1-2k. Currently at 6.1k mi

Back