Multiple suspension noises | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Well that was fast. Update call from dealer: the flapping sound was from a “sticker” that was on the drive shaft. Not holding my breath on that. Picking up in an hour.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just dropped it off
Hope it’s nothing major- it’s just the knocking/flapping sound is not good
My oil life is at 56% however. Oil change not due in another 1-2k. Currently at 6.1k mi
Hope that 6k miles is not on the original break-in oil. Might be empty.

Definitely not original oil
Here’s the outcome
5AAABEFC-ADBA-47B3-8A11-31DEDDD0E927.jpeg

The so called "break-in" oil is the same oil that the Manual recommends for the Explorer.

Peter

@Cas_yo

It will be interesting to see if the techs' diagnosis cures the driveline noise you've been hearing.

Keep us updated!

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I have an odd pop noise when braking downhill which sounds similar to a bad end link. However it seems to only do it when the car is "cold" aka first 10 min of driving. I haven't pulled the wheels yet to look. I will when I also do the first oil change.

Anyone else have a 2020 and have all sorts of random suspension noises?

My ST is making multiple noises from the front suspension that sounds like something is loose when going over bumpy roads. There's also clicking sounds when you get on the brakes going downhill and come to a stop. On occasion it also makes a popping sound from the rear under heavy brake pressure.

Took it to my dealer and they said they hear multiple intermittent noises but they can't figure it out. They told me the car is so new I should just deal with it for another 3k until the first oil change.

Everything was fine until about 1200 miles.

I have to say I am more than displeased with the build quality of these things especially when they are in the 60k range. Ford needs to get their act together and vet these problems out before releasing a product to the public. Not suprised they 10k + explorers sitting at flat Rock awaiting repairs.
I'm jumping into this fray with my takes on MULTIPLE noises:

1. If you hear a "Clunk" sounding like mid-body while forward then backward braking, I have noticed it is MUCH worse with a full tank of gas. I've heard some Explorers have gas tank mount issues....mine should the same. More weight to hold while stopping, more noise.

2. I've had this lower front under the driver side noise only over small bumps issue since DAY 1. Took it to a dealer that wasn't where I bought the car and got a bit of a run around last November. They didn't hear it, but wifey did? Really? I've put up with it, but it is getting worse. Sounds like a front axle issue. I also notices something odd while changing my oil. Front sway bars have grease fittings? Huh? Rubber bushings on these are EXTREMELY small. Zero space for play...and grease fittings? I've Never seen grease fittings on the sway bar connections on any of my previous 6 Ford SUV's. These COULD be causing a rattle if they are loose at all.

3. When driving on a stretch of road with a wall or building close by and my passenger window open, while accelerating I hear no noise, but when I flatten the acceleration or take my foot completely off the gas, there is a pronounced flapping noise. Very, Very strange. I will look under the car today for the front drive shaft "Label" I read in a earlier post. I just don't think that is it. The noise is far too loud. Sounds more like a trans issue, but the trans operates properly.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

I'm still living with the front end noise and it seems to be getting worse. Maybe if we wait long enough something will fall off and then we'll get it fixed.
Every time I take the car in for something else (replace backup camera, car wouldn't start with the button but did with FordPass) I insist on adding the front end issue to the list. They call Ford, they say, and get the same story. They're working on a fix but nothing yet.
They couldn't duplicate the starting issue and it hasn't happened again. Keep after the Dealer and maybe call Ford to file a complaint. 800-392-3673

Anyone else have a 2020 and have all sorts of random suspension noises?

My ST is making multiple noises from the front suspension that sounds like something is loose when going over bumpy roads. There's also clicking sounds when you get on the brakes going downhill and come to a stop. On occasion it also makes a popping sound from the rear under heavy brake pressure.

Took it to my dealer and they said they hear multiple intermittent noises but they can't figure it out. They told me the car is so new I should just deal with it for another 3k until the first oil change.

Everything was fine until about 1200 miles.

I have to say I am more than displeased with the build quality of these things especially when they are in the 60k range. Ford needs to get their act together and vet these problems out before releasing a product to the public. Not suprised they 10k + explorers sitting at flat Rock awaiting repairs.
Yep, since Day 1. Sounds like something is ALMOST fully tight under your feet, but not quite. When I changed my oil a few weeks ago I noticed that the sway bar has LITTLE bushings or Grease fittings on them. I've worked on alot of cars and I have NEVER seen grease fittings on the sway bar connections. If these have almost zero bushing to them, they could be the cause since sway bars are moving almost all of the time. I had read that a left frame attachment bolt was the cause so I had the local Dealer check it to spec, and it was fine.

Very odd....

Seems as though more folks are experiencing these "suspension noises " or what ever there are called. I have contacted my dealer, AGAIN. to see if they have heard anything from Ford and they just say the same old song and dance routine..... " No Nothing, Ford is aware of the issue and we will get back with you." What a load of BS. FORD QUALITY CONTROL AND CUSTOMER SERVICE IS CRAP !!! This is by far the worst new car I have ever had. I have had a couple of folks ask me how I like the ST......PIECE OF **** !!. I am half way through my lease and will bid this Ford car goodbye.

As of today, my 2020 Explorer accumulated 5,113 miles, and I decide to change my Explorer's oil and filter for the second time since taking delivery last September 13. While the oil was draining and my Explorer was on my lift, I decided to see if I could find the source of the mysterious suspension noise that others have noticed and reported here. I'm talking about the muffled clunking sound that often happens when driving over moderate lumps in the pavement at speeds between 20 to 35 MPH -- especially when the pavement follows the undulations of the earth below.

I spent almost an hour under my Explorer tugging, prying, wiggling, and jiggling everything I could touch. I checked ball joints, stabilizer-bar links, struts, shock absorbers, bolts, exhaust-system hangers, and heat shields. Everything appeared to be solid and tight until my hand happened to brush against the large heat shield that is located on the passenger side of the vehicle, adjacent to the muffler. With just a light touch, the heat shield "oil-canned" and made a rather loud noise.

This heat shield is comprised of a large piece of sheet metal and is fastened to the underside of the floor of the vehicle. My theory is that the unibody structure flexes as it's rolling over uneven pavement, and the flexing is enough to temporarily distort the large sheet-metal heat shield which causes it to "oil-can" and make a noise. The noise is transmitted through the floor into the passenger compartment and sounds like a subdued "clunk" after it's attenuated by the floor's soundproofing and carpeting.

To test this theory, I temporarily reinforced the flexible heat shield with some scrap aluminum and a c-clamp. With the reinforcement in place, I was unable to make the heat shield "oil-can" by distorting it with my hand. I'll keep this reinforcement in place for the next several weeks to find out if I've really determined and eliminated the source of the elusive, so-called suspension noise. The brief videos below show the "oil-can" noise I've described and how the temporary reinforcement eliminated the noise.

As of today, my 2020 Explorer accumulated 5,113 miles, and I decide to change my Explorer's oil and filter for the second time since taking delivery last September 13. While the oil was draining and my Explorer was on my lift, I decided to see if I could find the source of the mysterious suspension noise that others have noticed and reported here. I'm talking about the muffled clunking sound that often happens when driving over moderate lumps in the pavement at speeds between 20 to 35 MPH -- especially when the pavement follows the undulations of the earth below.

I spent almost an hour under my Explorer tugging, prying, wiggling, and jiggling everything I could touch. I checked ball joints, stabilizer-bar links, struts, shock absorbers, bolts, exhaust-system hangers, and heat shields. Everything appeared to be solid and tight until my hand happened to brush against the large heat shield that is located on the passenger side of the vehicle, adjacent to the muffler. With just a light touch, the heat shield "oil-canned" and made a rather loud noise.

This heat shield is comprised of a large piece of sheet metal and is fastened to the underside of the floor of the vehicle. My theory is that the unibody structure flexes as it's rolling over uneven pavement, and the flexing is enough to temporarily distort the large sheet-metal heat shield which causes it to "oil-can" and make a noise. The noise is transmitted through the floor into the passenger compartment and sounds like a subdued "clunk" after it's attenuated by the floor's soundproofing and carpeting.

To test this theory, I temporarily reinforced the flexible heat shield with some scrap aluminum and a c-clamp. With the reinforcement in place, I was unable to make the heat shield "oil-can" by distorting it with my hand. I'll keep this reinforcement in place for the next several weeks to find out if I've really determined and eliminated the source of the elusive, so-called suspension noise. The brief videos below show the "oil-can" noise I've described and how the temporary reinforcement eliminated the noise.

I'LL HOLD MY BREATH!!!

Holy crap is that loud. Crossing my fingers.

Yep, since Day 1. Sounds like something is ALMOST fully tight under your feet, but not quite. When I changed my oil a few weeks ago I noticed that the sway bar has LITTLE bushings or Grease fittings on them. I've worked on alot of cars and I have NEVER seen grease fittings on the sway bar connections. If these have almost zero bushing to them, they could be the cause since sway bars are moving almost all of the time. I had read that a left frame attachment bolt was the cause so I had the local Dealer check it to spec, and it was fine.

Very odd....
UPDATE: 7/21/20, I took my Explorer into Fritz ford in Riverside and I must say, THEIR SERVICE DEPT SUCKS!! The only service Dept that I have been to that was worse, was the Ford of Upland service dept years ago. Slow, Didn't Listen and a bit argumentative. I left it for 3 noises. The clunk under the drivers feet going over bumps, the fuel tank shifting when it is full and you go from reverse to forward and vice versa, and the Rat-a-tat-tat noise when you coast or decelerate while driving near a wall where the noise can bounce back toward the vehicle. I hear this ALL the time with the passenger window open. Well, got it back yesterday to NOTHING FOUND. Brilliant. Simply Brilliant.

Fuel tank shifting?? Are referring to the "sloshing" noise or is the fuel tank actually moving? Sloshing sound with full tank

Peter
No. When the tank is full, I hear a slight tick when going from a stop to backup speed. Like the weight of the tank is sliding it a very small amount. When it is 1/2 empty, it goes away completely. It could be something else, but it appears to be a full tank issue. I've read it could be the AWD system, but I'm not sure that makes sense.

I think soon I will take my go pro out with suction mount and put it under the vehicle in different locations and try to sort out all of the odd noises it is making.

Wish I had my 2011 Expedition Limited EL back. That thing was bulletproof....zero issues towing anything...anywhere...

That definitely sounds like what I'm hearing inside the cabin. Any ideas for fixes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exit 32, Did the C-Clap solve the problem???

Back