Multiple suspension noises | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Good point Ryan. I toyed with getting a 2020 Aviator Reserve BUT got the 2020 ST instead....hindsight !!!. I am half way through my 2 year lease and if I could I would walk away from this ST and get a Aviator. I have poised that question to several people at my dealership but naturally no response . Does not surprise me ! If I have to keep this ST until my lease is up its gone and I am finished with FOMOCO, I will buy foreign . ( Audi or Porsche ).
If you are halfway through your lease, Ford will waive 3 month of your lease to get into a Lincon or Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Bill Holt

"Chapter 681, Florida Statutes, provides remedies for consumers who purchase or lease new or demonstrator motor vehicles with “nonconformities” that have not been corrected by the manufacturer, or its authorized service agent (typically a dealership), “within a reasonable number of repair attempts.”

A “nonconformity” under the Lemon Law is defined as a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle, and it can include problems such as faulty paint, leaks and electrical or mechanical problems.

In order to qualify under the Lemon Law, the vehicle in question must have been sold (or leased) in Florida. The purchase must not have been for resale purposes and must fall into one of the following categories: (1) the vehicle is used for personal, family or household purposes; (2) the vehicle was acquired from the first owner for the same purposes during the first owner’s first 24 months of ownership; or (3) the owner or lessee is a person who is entitled to enforce the warranty.

Consumer Pamphlet: Florida’s Motor Vehicle ‘Lemon Law’

Link: Consumer Pamphlet: Florida’s Motor Vehicle ‘Lemon Law’ – The Florida Bar

@Bill Holt

"Chapter 681, Florida Statutes, provides remedies for consumers who purchase or lease new or demonstrator motor vehicles with “nonconformities” that have not been corrected by the manufacturer, or its authorized service agent (typically a dealership), “within a reasonable number of repair attempts.”

A “nonconformity” under the Lemon Law is defined as a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle, and it can include problems such as faulty paint, leaks and electrical or mechanical problems.

In order to qualify under the Lemon Law, the vehicle in question must have been sold (or leased) in Florida. The purchase must not have been for resale purposes and must fall into one of the following categories: (1) the vehicle is used for personal, family or household purposes; (2) the vehicle was acquired from the first owner for the same purposes during the first owner’s first 24 months of ownership; or (3) the owner or lessee is a person who is entitled to enforce the warranty.

Consumer Pamphlet: Florida’s Motor Vehicle ‘Lemon Law’

Link: Consumer Pamphlet: Florida’s Motor Vehicle ‘Lemon Law’ – The Florida Bar

Interesting.......Thanks for the info.

Just a short note to say good bye to the Forum. I have gotten rid of my 2020 ST , GOOD RIDDANCE !! My dealer bought out the remainder of my lease. They are shipping the car back to Ford with all the SUSPENSION/CHASSIS ISSUES AND THE DEVELOPING NEW ISSUES THAT HAVE STARTED TO APPEAR. YOU FOLKS TAKE CARE, STAY SAFE !!

Going with another manufacturer Bill? Thanks for your contributions.

Peter

Bill, I hope you find what you're looking for. I'm envious that I can't find a way to dump my Platinum. I'd like to be able to reference your experience as I pester Ford. They keep saying everything is normal but based on your experience there's a chance they're finally buying in. Would you be willing to share the dealer's name, unless you've been asked to bury the deal.
Steve

Bill, I hope you find what you're looking for. I'm envious that I can't find a way to dump my Platinum. I'd like to be able to reference your experience as I pester Ford. They keep saying everything is normal but based on your experience there's a chance they're finally buying in. Would you be willing to share the dealer's name, unless you've been asked to bury the deal.
Steve

Agreed not to say much........ Bill Currie Ford of Tampa. They were very good when I bought the car and did a SUPER job on taking it back. They are shipping the car back to Ford . Read a interesting article today about the new boss at Ford. Guy by the name of Farley. Has said many interesting things as to how Ford has to change and get with the times. Basically Ford is not doing well, with the exception of the F 150...one other thing is to win the trust back of the buying public. One example was the " botched " launch of the Ford Explorer !! Too many problems with no quality control, not listening to the many disgruntled buyers and all the issues with Ford not communicating with dealers and the public . One thing that my dealer said was that a few of his employees have Explorers and are having problems. Ford has not responded at all to the issues !! And this is at a Ford dealership ! SO, bottom line .....Ford is well aware of all the Explorer issues , don't let them tell you other wise . Just keep pressing your dealer AND go to Ford again and again to complain . Give them all your facts , work done etc. GOOD LUCK

Agreed not to say much........ Bill Currie Ford of Tampa. They were very good when I bought the car and did a SUPER job on taking it back. They are shipping the car back to Ford . Read a interesting article today about the new boss at Ford. Guy by the name of Farley. Has said many interesting things as to how Ford has to change and get with the times. Basically Ford is not doing well, with the exception of the F 150...one other thing is to win the trust back of the buying public. One example was the " botched " launch of the Ford Explorer !! Too many problems with no quality control, not listening to the many disgruntled buyers and all the issues with Ford not communicating with dealers and the public . One thing that my dealer said was that a few of his employees have Explorers and are having problems. Ford has not responded at all to the issues !! And this is at a Ford dealership ! SO, bottom line .....Ford is well aware of all the Explorer issues , don't let them tell you other wise . Just keep pressing your dealer AND go to Ford again and again to complain . Give them all your facts , work done etc. GOOD LUCK
I'm still on their backs at the dealership, insisting that my problems with the tranny and the front end rattles/rumbles be looked at again and that a they check again with Ford for solutions. So far nothing. Gonna be a long winter.
Anyway, one other question. I struck me a day or two ago that a description of the front end noises was like shaking a cardboard box full of basket balls, or something loose inside of a cardboard box. Am I close, or does/did you're sound the same.
Have fun searching for new wheels. Bet you wring out any new demos.
Steve

I'm still on their backs at the dealership, insisting that my problems with the tranny and the front end rattles/rumbles be looked at again and that a they check again with Ford for solutions. So far nothing. Gonna be a long winter.
Anyway, one other question. I struck me a day or two ago that a description of the front end noises was like shaking a cardboard box full of basket balls, or something loose inside of a cardboard box. Am I close, or does/did you're sound the same.
Have fun searching for new wheels. Bet you wring out any new demos.
Steve
Good analogy, box & balls !!!! I could say thats what mine sounded like. Plus I was starting to have transmission issues, could make its made up to start out in 1,2, or 3rd gear. VERY ABRUPT shifting. Kept losing all my memory settings, at least once a week . Phone would not sync in, very frustrating. Rubber door trim trim pieces coming loose. I am looking at a Audi or Porsche. Have had both in the past.

Good analogy, box & balls !!!! I could say thats what mine sounded like. Plus I was starting to have transmission issues, could make its made up to start out in 1,2, or 3rd gear. VERY ABRUPT shifting. Kept losing all my memory settings, at least once a week . Phone would not sync in, very frustrating. Rubber door trim trim pieces coming loose. I am looking at a Audi or Porsche. Have had both in the past.
I should feel better now. Other than the missing tow bar and rear air deflector I can't say I've anything to complain about...Unless you include a delay in the delivery after the AC crashed. I could probably live with my transmission being quirky thru second and third gears if Ford would just fess up to the front end problem. I am so damn tired of listening to the rumble. It's especially obnoxious at higher speeds. It just changes from a base rumble to a steady hollow growl. Old guys like me never loose their low frequency hearing so all I hear is the front end noise...can't hear the wife.
Take care

Good luck to you Bill. Hope it works out. We haven't had any issues with our 2020 ST, but I'll be honest, I wish I had never bought it. I don't feel like I can trust the thing and it gives me anxiety every time I get in it to go any distance. It's the way I felt about my early '70s MGB where I'd never know when getting in it if I was going to make it to my destination, and frequently didn't. Shouldn't have to feel this way about a new car in 2020.

Good luck to you Bill. Hope it works out. We haven't had any issues with our 2020 ST, but I'll be honest, I wish I had never bought it. I don't feel like I can trust the thing and it gives me anxiety every time I get in it to go any distance. It's the way I felt about my early '70s MGB where I'd never know when getting in it if I was going to make it to my destination, and frequently didn't. Shouldn't have to feel this way about a new car in 2020.

EXACTLY how I felt.....couldn't trust it going out on the open road. Its sad that Ford built such a vehicle, rushed it into production , no quality control and then does not acknowledge the known issues.

I also had a 1972 MGB GT . Brought it back from England when I was in the Air Force. Great car, no issues.

Used to be a SAAB owner...they're gone but a C90 Volvo might be a great replacement. Bill and Spacey any thoughts?

I've seen similar articles on the C90.
"The 2020 Volvo XC90 has a lovely and spacious interior, lots of standard safety features, and good fuel economy, but it ranks in the middle third of the luxury midsize SUV class because of its poor predicted reliability rating and just-adequate powertrains."

Peter

I've seen similar articles on the C90.
"The 2020 Volvo XC90 has a lovely and spacious interior, lots of standard safety features, and good fuel economy, but it ranks in the middle third of the luxury midsize SUV class because of its poor predicted reliability rating and just-adequate powertrains."

Peter
Thanks Peter...We looked at the C90 before buying the Platinum. In the present environment it seems contrary, but we didn't buy the Volvo because there were not enough dealers around the country and we traveled a lot. I guess if you have a car that breaks a lot you ought to have good access to a dealer.
BTW I just scheduled my Platinum for it's first service, not for mileage but for time, and the service tech claims to see 20 explorers a day and has not had a single complaint about front end noise. Not sure I believe him.

Used to be a SAAB owner...they're gone but a C90 Volvo might be a great replacement. Bill and Spacey any thoughts?

drove a c-90 when looking for the st......was not really impressed with the volvo !

Jumping in here - Great analogy....or its like a lamp shade that is loose and you rattle it around when going over small bumps. I sure hope it isn't AWD related. What was interesting the other day while I was changing the oil, I gripped the lower front suspension/strut/a-arm...and it turns! WHAT!! It literally rotates some when the wheel is off the ground. Slop perhaps? I just don't see this as a good thing since it is used for guiding this vehicle. I wonder if this slight slop could be that dampened rattle? Sway bar was tight and it seems to ONLY be on the driver side.

Stay away from the Q-5 with the 2.0 turbo. I've heard of them blowing up at speed. On another note, I LOVE the ST motor. Had it at 125mph in the middle of Utah with it 100+ outside. It literally laughed at me to go faster.... I LOVE/HATE this thing.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill, I don't want to hijack this thread, but my MG was also a '72 B-GT. Teal blue, tan interior, wire wheels. A beautiful and fun car to drive. One time I went out on a rainy night and the headlights flashed at the same tempo as the windshield wipers :). Another time I was in the last 50 miles of a 700 mile trip, turned the headlights on at dusk and it died. Turns out at some point in the trip a rock had kicked up and holed one of the 6V batteries hanging under the rear seat.

Don't know what GM currently has available, but prior to purchasing the ST I had a 1990 S-10 Blazer for 15 years and a 2002 Trailblazer for 18 years. Both were very reliable. My wife had a Porsche Macan S which was a very nice vehicle to drive, but frankly not all that special for the price. Plus I wouldn't want to own it once the warranty expired. Happy hunting.

Back