Multiple suspension noises | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Nothing from Ford yet as far as I know. Our repurchase takes place next Monday. Moving up to an Expedition based on the rebates and 0% financing Ford is offering on remaining 2019s, in addition to a very generous additional rebate offer from Ford as a result of the repurchase. It’s a little bigger than we need, but will come in handy the next few years for a few long trips web have planned, in addition to hauling around gear and kids for baseball. Hopefully Ford has worked out this issue when we want to go back to an ST!
How generous was the rebate ? Im in the same situation and would consider an Expedition if rebate would help cover the difference in price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How generous was the rebate ? Im in the same situation and would consider an Expedition if rebate would help cover the difference in price.
$2,500 on the Expedition, $1,500 for most other Ford vehicles.

Howdy. That was me. Replacing the sub frame bolt, which apparently was loose, did the trick for me. What I was hearing would be a clunking noise when I would drive at low speeds. After they ordered a new one-time use bolt and installed it, the clunking noise went away.
OK, took my ST into dealer today for the seat belt bracket recall, windshield wiper blades , wandering & weaving on the highway AND the suspension noise issue. They gave me a Ford Escape as a loaner ( nice driving without hearing the suspension noise ) . They knew nothing at all about the suspension noise, I gave them a copy of Adam58s repair order and the subframe bolt FIX ! They will do a 4 wheel alignment once they get the new equipment to do the 2020 version Explorer. Wiper blades should be a easy fix as is the bracket recall. We shall see. I will keep you informed.

.... Wiper blades should be a easy fix..................... I will keep you informed.
So others have thought as well. Good luck Bill.

Peter

My Platinum is back in the shop while the techs look for the rattle. I have given them clips from this forum with all the different proposed solutions. I'm not optimistic based I what I'm reading but who knows. The list of troubled owners is getting long enough now that maybe we ought to consider a class action? Just thinking.

I have a new Explorer XLT as a loaner and I'm amazed at how quiet it is. I'm now convinced all of the noise is coming from the front four-wheel suspension. It's also made me absolutely disgusted and left with the feeling that there is no solution.

OK, took my ST into dealer today for the seat belt bracket recall, windshield wiper blades , wandering & weaving on the highway AND the suspension noise issue. They gave me a Ford Escape as a loaner ( nice driving without hearing the suspension noise ) . They knew nothing at all about the suspension noise, I gave them a copy of Adam58s repair order and the subframe bolt FIX ! They will do a 4 wheel alignment once they get the new equipment to do the 2020 version Explorer. Wiper blades should be a easy fix as is the bracket recall. We shall see. I will keep you informed.

Picked my car up late this afternoon, seat belt bracket inspected and ok, new wiper blades installed, 4-wheel alignment was done , now to the noise issue, they inspected the under carriage and found nothing wrong visually. They re-torqued all suspension bolts as well as the sub frame bolts. Nothing was loose. I drove the car off the lot and went down a not so smooth side road......NOISE !! I turned around and back to dealer. The Service Manager & Tech took a ride with me and they did notice something. The plan now is , they will send Ford all info on Repair Order as well as the report from Adam58 regarding his bolt issue. I was really hoping that the bolts would fix it, Oh well !!!

Got the call from service dept. yesterday afternoon. Second set of new struts and bearings did nothing to eliminate the noise. Ford hotline and buyback team notified of current status. Ford rep also called and decision on buyback coming next Tuesday. I have decided on a left over 2019 Expedition as replacement for the Explorer if they give me the 2500 rebate that was mentioned above. Just trying to decide , Platinum or Limited.

Got the call from service dept. yesterday afternoon. Second set of new struts and bearings did nothing to eliminate the noise. Ford hotline and buyback team notified of current status. Ford rep also called and decision on buyback coming next Tuesday. I have decided on a left over 2019 Expedition as replacement for the Explorer if they give me the 2500 rebate that was mentioned above. Just trying to decide , Platinum or Limited.

The limited is nice.. but the Platinum.. oh yes!! I would fight for more tha $2,500. Their PCO is higher than that so why shouldn't you get at least that.

They had a $4,000 combinable PCO and $6,000 not combinable PCO on the 19s last summer if that tells you anything on what Ford can offer.

Last edited:

The limited is nice.. but the Platinum.. oh yes!! I would fight for more tha $2,500. Their PCO is higher than that so why shouldn't you get at least that.
Don't do that before you give it a through test drive. My Platinum is in the shop and I've advised the dealer that I don't want it back until they fix it. (Suspension Noise) They want me to call ford.

Don't do that before you give it a through test drive. My Platinum is in the shop and I've advised the dealer that I don't want it back until they fix it. (Suspension Noise) They want me to call ford.

We are talking about an Expedition.

What is PCO ?

You should call ford and open a case on your Explorer.

You should call ford and open a case on your Explorer.

I don't know the details of how much time before I we can do the buy back? I would like to start to do buy back this summer (just love to drive it wright now) so that by the fall, maybe I could do a buy back and then put that cost towards getting new 2021 ST in hopes that the issue has been resolved.

I don't know the details of how much time before I we can do the buy back? I would like to start to do buy back this summer (just love to drive it wright now) so that by the fall, maybe I could do a buy back and then put that cost towards getting new 2021 ST in hopes that the issue has been resolved.

Look up your states LL.

Ford adheres to each of the 50 States Lemon Laws and does not deviate from those laws.

You would need to go to your Home State’s DMV webpage OR your Home State’s Attorney General webpage (*** you want the .gov webpage, NO 3rd party webpage as they do not retain correct info or up to date lemon law facts). The BBB webpage also does not always have the most up to date Lemon Law info, so it’s important to review the LL from your State’s .gov web pages.

Most LL are similar to the below for a vehicle to qualify, but again, definitely check your State LL:
1) A Buy Back or Lemon Claim must be made within 2 years or 24k miles of the purchase date (whichever comes first). Some States have a 1/24 or 1/15.

2) The Owner must allow the vehicle Manufacturer to make the effort to do the warranty repair, regardless of how long the repair may take or how complicated it may be. The repair must be allowed so there is documentation of the repair attempt and it’s recorded to your VIN. If a repair has been attempted 3x for the same issue, and the issue is still not satisfactorily resolved (or fixed), the vehicle would qualify for LL.

3) If the vehicle has been at the Service Center for a total of 30 consecutive days OR a total of 30 days within the calendar year (this varies by State), the vehicle would instantly qualify for a Lemon Law or Buy Back claim - regardless if the repair has been completed or if it’s only the initial attempt at repair.

4) Depending on the State LL, some States can implement a mileage use penalty. The mileage would be the documented mileage of the first instance the vehicle went into the shop for the issue or concern. So if the vehicle had 1,000 miles on it when it first went into the shop for the Lemon issue, the penalty (a formula devised by the State) is only on the 1k miles, NOT the total miles accrued on the vehicle when it’s turned back over to the Vehicle Manufacturer.

There are (2) types of a Lemon Buy Backs:
1) A swap of collateral: Basically you enter into an agreement with Ford that you want to be made whole by getting a replacement vehicle. The replacement can be any brand new Ford current model year vehicle available on any Dealer lot in the US. The replacement is MSRP to MSRP, period. Ford incentives, Dealer incentives, dealer or Ford discounts, A-X Plans, misc rebates, military or other discounts do not apply at all. It’s strictly MSRP to MSRP. If the replacement vehicle MSRP is more than the original MSRP, you are responsible for the delta and State Sales Tax must be paid on that delta. So for instance, say original MSRP was $50k, replacement MSRP is $52k, you’re responsible for the $2k delta and the State Sales Tax ONLY on the $2k. You’re also responsible for any other Dealer new car fees such as DMV (reg/title), doc prep fees, etc (again this is NOT a Ford thing, it’s a State thing). If you still have a loan on the original, the remaining value of the loan is carried over. So for instance, your MSRP was $50k, you owe $20k - the new loan on the replacement would only be $20k, plus whatever deltas, tax or fees.

2) Refund: You get refunded purchase price or monies owed and can walk away from Ford, or buy another Ford or go buy whatever... again there may be fees or mileage penalties associated based on State Lemon Laws.

With the above noted, you must review your State Lemon Law. If you feel you have a Lemon, or the vehicle meets some or all of the above criteria outlined, you should call the Ford 800#. By calling the Ford 800#, you get assigned a Regional Ford CSR, he/she will open a Case. Once you have established a case - the CSR will review all facts based on your claim and may approve a request for Buy Back. If approved, the case is then transferred to Ford RAV, which is the internal division that handles all Buy Backs.

Buy Backs through Ford RAV, whether a vehicle swap or refund can be tedious, frustrating and stressful and will up to take 3 weeks or more to complete (depending on your case and complexity). I’m just saying that up front, because it’s just not a walk in the park and it’s not super easy - especially if you don’t have patience. You must be prepared to chase after the Ford CSR or Ford RAV if they are not reaching out to you for status updates or progression of the claim.

You can do a Buy Back on your own without the need of a Lemon Law Attorney and without involving the BBB Autoline, as long as you have all your facts, any correspondence between you and the Dealership Service Center, work orders or Dealer invoices, emails, etc. and can keep a professional attitude - you’ll come out on top.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Sounds like the same issue as everyone else. Has anyone heard back from the dealers yet ? Seems like Ford would be putting something out regarding these noises/thuds or what ever ! I just drove up from Tampa to Atlanta and everything was fine on the interstate. As soon as I got on the side roads doing about 20-30 mph the suspension noise started.
Yes, this is true regarding high speeds on the interstate. No thud sound. Someone on here describes the sound using the word “hollow”. That’s exactly how I describe it. Hollow thud which is mid frequency in sound pitch. Only occurs under 20 MPH on my Platinum Explorer. Happens on average streets with small bumps rough spots. Can not make it happen on speed bumps or potholes. So, count me in as another person reporting the problem and it’s really pissing me off. Do we have a fix yet?

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
No fix yet.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having lived with this for a while, been in and out of the shop, I can say that the noise in the front end does not really go away on the interstate. If the road is rough the sound is there. It's just constant but still low frequency. Try it.
My 2016 Platinum was quiet on the highway and the 2020 XLT rear wheel drive is really quiet. I don't expect the 2020 to be a quiet as an XLT, but it should at least meeting standards of the 2016. I hope Ford will get into this mess with both elbows before too long. It might not be a safety issue but there is still something radically wrong with the 2020 four wheel design.

Back