Multiple suspension noises | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

OK, took my ST into dealer today for the seat belt bracket recall, windshield wiper blades , wandering & weaving on the highway AND the suspension noise issue. They gave me a Ford Escape as a loaner ( nice driving without hearing the suspension noise ) . They knew nothing at all about the suspension noise, I gave them a copy of Adam58s repair order and the subframe bolt FIX ! They will do a 4 wheel alignment once they get the new equipment to do the 2020 version Explorer. Wiper blades should be a easy fix as is the bracket recall. We shall see. I will keep you informed.
Sounds like you've got my car's twin, except for the wiper blades. Maybe I discover it when it rains next time. You can probably fix the wander by deflating the tires to the posted number...32 or 33. Every time I take mine to the shop it comes back with 35 to 40 lbs. It rides like a rock and chases every line in the road. I have read here that some of the dealers don't bother with the factory pressure and leave you with more than 40lbs. Mine for example. Tomorrow is my day to call the Ford number for the suspension noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked my car up late this afternoon, seat belt bracket inspected and ok, new wiper blades installed, 4-wheel alignment was done , now to the noise issue, they inspected the under carriage and found nothing wrong visually. They re-torqued all suspension bolts as well as the sub frame bolts. Nothing was loose. I drove the car off the lot and went down a not so smooth side road......NOISE !! I turned around and back to dealer. The Service Manager & Tech took a ride with me and they did notice something. The plan now is , they will send Ford all info on Repair Order as well as the report from Adam58 regarding his bolt issue. I was really hoping that the bolts would fix it, Oh well !!!

As I said , my dealer sent my repair order off to Ford. My dealer calls me today with a reply back from Ford..... " If the customers complaint could be verified when performing road test with the customer then proceed with SSM 48328, which supports using a chassis ear to help isolate source of a suspension system related noise ". Also, " To help support if a normal is common recommend comparing operation to that of a couple of like units ( same model and model year ) operated under the same conditions to see if similar operation is exhibited. If similar operation is expected then no repair attempts should be performed, in this case you could complete and submit a PTS Reports A Vehicle Concern Report ".

So what do you make of this reply !?

It sounds like a logical answer. Ford usually requires a complaint to be verified before authorizing any repairs. On the other hand, it also sounds as though Ford is asking the dealer to do some 'trouble finding' on their behalf. I would think that several of these "Vehicle Concern Reports" have already been submitted by other dealers. So the bottom line seems to be that Ford is not aware of this ongoing issue.

Peter

It sounds like a logical answer. Ford usually requires a complaint to be verified before authorizing any repairs. On the other hand, it also sounds as though Ford is asking the dealer to do some 'trouble finding' on their behalf. I would think that several of these "Vehicle Concern Reports" have already been submitted by other dealers. So the bottom line seems to be that Ford is not aware of this ongoing issue.

Peter

So I will set up a appointment for next week to check out the noise, that is if the dealer has the mentioned chassis ear available !

Peter

Considering the buybacks already and the amount of struts being ordered and not fixing the issue, I would say ford is aware of the issue (with no fix).

I have seen there before when several have the same issue and Ford trying to say, well if they all do it then it is normal. Insure hope this isnt the stand they are going to try taking on this issue because it is not going to fly.

I agree. But also knowing Ford's known lack of communication skills, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the various departments involved haven't been communicating with each other.:rolleyes:

Peter

ST is in the shop currently for the front end suspension noise and the fuel tank sloshing/clunking issue. The service advisor advised me this evening that sway bar linkages are on order as well as a new fuel tank. Parts are due to be in Friday or Monday. Fingers crossed.

ST is in the shop currently for the front end suspension noise and the fuel tank sloshing/clunking issue. The service advisor advised me this evening that sway bar linkages are on order as well as a new fuel tank. Parts are due to be in Friday or Monday. Fingers crossed.
Don’t get your hopes up! I went through all the same crap with no resolution. Links, struts, 4 or 5 “inspections” before I requested the buyback. Miss the ST, but not the issues. This has been going on for quite a few months now. I’m starting to agree with the opinion of a few others on here that there’s a fundamental design flaw that they haven’t been able to solve, or know they can’t.

Don’t get your hopes up! I went through all the same crap with no resolution. Links, struts, 4 or 5 “inspections” before I requested the buyback. Miss the ST, but not the issues.........
So what do you have now? Your profile still shows the ST.

Peter

So what do you have now? Your profile still shows the ST.

Peter
Oops, sorry! I’ve been staying on the thread to see if anything ends up being resolved. We bought a 2019 Expedition Limited after the Explorer. Very happy with it so far. Would love to go back to the Explorer in time, after some of the bugs are worked out.

Don’t get your hopes up! I went through all the same crap with no resolution. Links, struts, 4 or 5 “inspections” before I requested the buyback. Miss the ST, but not the issues. This has been going on for quite a few months now. I’m starting to agree with the opinion of a few others on here that there’s a fundamental design flaw that they haven’t been able to solve, or know they can’t.

Fundamental design flaw? Then every ST or Explorer would have clunking noise.

Fundamental design flaw? Then every ST or Explorer would have clunking noise.

I'm willing to bet you they di, just some cant hear it or separate the difference between road noise when hitting bumps. My wife still cant hear it but I can. I have to pay very close attention but I can separate the 2 when listening closely. If the radio is on or windows are down,ai cant hear it.. it has to be quiet.

I will say that the sound has zero impact in ride quality. There is no damage or anything breaking. It is like the passenger side mirror, it's just damn annoying to listen to.

Ford adheres to each of the 50 States Lemon Laws and does not deviate from those laws.

You would need to go to your Home State’s DMV webpage OR your Home State’s Attorney General webpage (*** you want the .gov webpage, NO 3rd party webpage as they do not retain correct info or up to date lemon law facts). The BBB webpage also does not always have the most up to date Lemon Law info, so it’s important to review the LL from your State’s .gov web pages.

Most LL are similar to the below for a vehicle to qualify, but again, definitely check your State LL:
1) A Buy Back or Lemon Claim must be made within 2 years or 24k miles of the purchase date (whichever comes first). Some States have a 1/24 or 1/15.

2) The Owner must allow the vehicle Manufacturer to make the effort to do the warranty repair, regardless of how long the repair may take or how complicated it may be. The repair must be allowed so there is documentation of the repair attempt and it’s recorded to your VIN. If a repair has been attempted 3x for the same issue, and the issue is still not satisfactorily resolved (or fixed), the vehicle would qualify for LL.

3) If the vehicle has been at the Service Center for a total of 30 consecutive days OR a total of 30 days within the calendar year (this varies by State), the vehicle would instantly qualify for a Lemon Law or Buy Back claim - regardless if the repair has been completed or if it’s only the initial attempt at repair.

4) Depending on the State LL, some States can implement a mileage use penalty. The mileage would be the documented mileage of the first instance the vehicle went into the shop for the issue or concern. So if the vehicle had 1,000 miles on it when it first went into the shop for the Lemon issue, the penalty (a formula devised by the State) is only on the 1k miles, NOT the total miles accrued on the vehicle when it’s turned back over to the Vehicle Manufacturer.

There are (2) types of a Lemon Buy Backs:
1) A swap of collateral: Basically you enter into an agreement with Ford that you want to be made whole by getting a replacement vehicle. The replacement can be any brand new Ford current model year vehicle available on any Dealer lot in the US. The replacement is MSRP to MSRP, period. Ford incentives, Dealer incentives, dealer or Ford discounts, A-X Plans, misc rebates, military or other discounts do not apply at all. It’s strictly MSRP to MSRP. If the replacement vehicle MSRP is more than the original MSRP, you are responsible for the delta and State Sales Tax must be paid on that delta. So for instance, say original MSRP was $50k, replacement MSRP is $52k, you’re responsible for the $2k delta and the State Sales Tax ONLY on the $2k. You’re also responsible for any other Dealer new car fees such as DMV (reg/title), doc prep fees, etc (again this is NOT a Ford thing, it’s a State thing). If you still have a loan on the original, the remaining value of the loan is carried over. So for instance, your MSRP was $50k, you owe $20k - the new loan on the replacement would only be $20k, plus whatever deltas, tax or fees.

2) Refund: You get refunded purchase price or monies owed and can walk away from Ford, or buy another Ford or go buy whatever... again there may be fees or mileage penalties associated based on State Lemon Laws.

With the above noted, you must review your State Lemon Law. If you feel you have a Lemon, or the vehicle meets some or all of the above criteria outlined, you should call the Ford 800#. By calling the Ford 800#, you get assigned a Regional Ford CSR, he/she will open a Case. Once you have established a case - the CSR will review all facts based on your claim and may approve a request for Buy Back. If approved, the case is then transferred to Ford RAV, which is the internal division that handles all Buy Backs.

Buy Backs through Ford RAV, whether a vehicle swap or refund can be tedious, frustrating and stressful and will up to take 3 weeks or more to complete (depending on your case and complexity). I’m just saying that up front, because it’s just not a walk in the park and it’s not super easy - especially if you don’t have patience. You must be prepared to chase after the Ford CSR or Ford RAV if they are not reaching out to you for status updates or progression of the claim.

You can do a Buy Back on your own without the need of a Lemon Law Attorney and without involving the BBB Autoline, as long as you have all your facts, any correspondence between you and the Dealership Service Center, work orders or Dealer invoices, emails, etc. and can keep a professional attitude - you’ll come out on top.

Best of luck.

In my personal experience with my Ford Explorer XLT 2015, Marin County Ford AND Ford MoCo did not conform to the California Lemon Law. The rear air conditioning system did not work and it took years of negotiating to get them to identify the problem and fix it. I eventually in frustration had to contact the California Consumer Protection Agency to force Ford to fix the problem under the Lemon Law. Given this problem and many others with Fords I have owned, as a former Ford admirer for decades, I am sad to say I will never buy another Ford. .

Just throwing this out for other Explorer owners about front end noise. I have a 1996, 1999, and 2000 4WD Explorers. Noise sources I've fixed are:

Slight banging noise on one side - worn bushing in link (a six inch bolt). Replaced both of them on all three of mine.

Squishy noise when driving and duplicated by pressing down on hood - worn out shocks.

Banging noise on rough road - worn out bushing on lower (aka outer) control arm. If one bushing worn out, all the others may be close behind. Replace both upper (aka inner) wishbone and both lower control triangle plate arms.

Rumbling noise when turning - rack and pinion assy, and it's tie rod worn.

Stuttering when turning - low hydraulic (brake) fluid or pump going out, or belt needs replacing.

Buyback team denied my buyback because "it has not been 30 business days out of service and only three tickets opened on repairs so far". Feb 6 is 30 business days and my lawyer is on standby if required. The dealer is trying to advocate a buyback for me. The 2019 Expeditions will be gone before this is resolved. very disgusted with Ford corporate.

Welcome to the Forum Kevin.:wave:

Peter

My Ford rep re-submitted my buy back request. I am at 30 business days out of service on Feb. 6, and that meets the requirement for Missouri's lemon law. How long did it take for those that got buyback to receive payment from Ford once requirements met ? Thanks.

My Ford rep re-submitted my buy back request. I am at 30 business days out of service on Feb. 6, and that meets the requirement for Missouri's lemon law. How long did it take for those that got buyback to receive payment from Ford once requirements met ? Thanks.
I asked them to expedite the process so I could take advantage of a remaining 2019 Expedition. I think it was just under three weeks from buyback authorization until the time I signed off on the offer they sent for the Explorer. The rebate on a replacement Ford was emailed almost immediately after I signed off on the explorer.

The way Ford corporate has treated me so far, Im not so sure I will buy another Ford. I Like the Expedition but by time this concludes, doubt any 2019 will be left.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has authorized buyback for my Explorer. 30 business days out of service to qualify in Missouri.

Back