Solved - Multiple transmission codes after sitting in storage. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Multiple transmission codes after sitting in storage.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Randal143

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
2002 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0 186K MILES. Truck broke a rod, after sitting for about 2 years I installed a donor out of an '00. Transmission was fine at the time of engine failure. I competed the engine install, transmission only uses what I think is P, R and 3rd gear. I have the following codes:
P0743
P0755
P0760
P0797
P1747
P1789
I did use a jack under pan, carefully, to align motor to trans. I have the pan off now, the filter was cracked but there's no burnt spots on the solenoid circuit board.
Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the continuity of the internal wiring harness, and the bulkhead connector for damage, rust or bent pins.
The bulkhead looks good, it still has the factory wrapping, there are no bent pins at the solenoid. Where is the other end of the harness please? I'll remove the wrap and inspect the back of the bulkhead better. Thank you!

I did look where the harness runs near the exhaust up to behind the head.

I don't think I did, but, it's it possible I bent the valve plate? The pan isn't deformed.

Make sure to check fuse 13 and fuse 41

Are you referring to a separator plate?
I guess. The manifold looking plate that the solenoid pack bolts to. Is there another cable going into the trans besides the bulkhead that runs the solenoid? I looked & didn't see one. I was pretty frustrated at that point. Where does the cable go to on the other end? ECU? The truck is on jackstands right now. I really appreciate the help, I really need to get this truck running.

Make sure to check fuse 13 and fuse 41
I checked the fuses under the hood. I will recheck them again. You down mean the under hood fuse box? There aren't any in the cab are there related to power train? Thank you.

@BrooklynBay @JK080 FIXED! I used fuse #37 when the fuel pump blew it's fuse. I used fuse #37 as it is labeled AC in the owners manual and my truck doesn't currently have AC. I found a service manual that stated to pull fuse 37 before ohming the TCM harness bc it supplies constant 12V+ to TCM. Replaced fuse, instant fixed. Unbelievable, why does AC fuse provide TCM power? Thank you both for your help.

Thanks for the update. This thread is now marked as solved.
Many, Many thanks to the original poster. I replaced my 02 explorer transmission and it had the exact same codes that would come back after being cleared. Replacing the A/C clutch fuse was the fix.

I bought this non running knowing that it needed a transmission. I found the fuel pump fuse blown, so I picked a random 15A fuse which was the A/C fuse. Long story short, replaced fuel pump but never replaced the A/C fuse, which turned out to be my problem.

Many, many thanks!

Back