• Register Today It's free!

Mushy steering?

drstein

Reaction score
City, State
Justin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
How much 'play' is normal in the steering wheel? Mine feels kind of "mushy" - I can move the wheel a good inch or two before turning happens.
How often do tie rods go bad? I have 138,000 miles on my '94 XLT. I bought it used, so I do not know what maintenance was performed before I purchased it.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm having the exact opposite with my explorer... mine is stiff as hell and doesn't come back to going straight when turning, you have to manually bring the wheel back straight.. But for you, i would have someone turn the wheel while you go under the front of the truck and see if it is the tie rods.. sometimes they just have that play

drstein said:
How much 'play' is normal in the steering wheel? Mine feels kind of "mushy" - I can move the wheel a good inch or two before turning happens.
How often do tie rods go bad? I have 138,000 miles on my '94 XLT. I bought it used, so I do not know what maintenance was performed before I purchased it.

Thanks!
Yeah its most likely the tie rods.My steering has gotten very sloppy and the handling is horrid. You can tell when you park and lock up the steering wheel you still have considerable play. I was going to replace mine sometime this week, a simple DYI job, but i've encountered and new more "involved" problem :fire:

I still have my stock ones on there (190k!)

I've been meaning to replace them, but they still work! Havent broken yet!

100% of the time when my tierods loosen up, they just need to be retightened :thumbsup: And boy let me tell you, is it ANNOYING when they loosen up.

13/16" socket, 50ftlbs, new cotter pin. Good as new!

Creager said:
I still have my stock ones on there (190k!)

I've been meaning to replace them, but they still work! Havent broken yet!

100% of the time when my tierods loosen up, they just need to be retightened :thumbsup: And boy let me tell you, is it ANNOYING when they loosen up.

13/16" socket, 50ftlbs, new cotter pin. Good as new!

Cool. Hopefully I can find directions somewhere. I have my Chiltons guide around here, I think. :-D

And I think I even have that size socket! heh. But no torque wrench. ugh.

Back