• Register Today It's free!

musical fuel tank

fireftr

Reaction score
City, State
strongsville,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited 4.6
:fire: This problem is burning me up(not really, but it could). After shutting off the engine, I hear a whisteling sound coming from the fuel tank area. The smell of gas is also noticed. This lasts for a few minutes, then it gradually quits. It seems to be more prevalent when it gets hot out. I've got a hunch it's the tank vent or something, but I'd like to get an idea of what to look for before dropping the tank. (my job is putting out fires, not starting them!). Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It definatley (sp?) sounds like you have a vent tube that is partially plugged or something. Just look for something that appears damaged or out of place.

Check your cap

Id check or replace the cap first , the vent in it may be defective, or stuck open. You can get them tested, but its easier and doesnt cost much to replace.

Good Luck.

Re: Check your cap

Originally posted by SteveVB
Id check or replace the cap first , the vent in it may be defective, or stuck open. You can get them tested, but its easier and doesnt cost much to replace.

Good Luck.

I had the same problem, new gas cap was it. :D

i am having the same problem with my truck right now.. although mine isn't making a whistling mine sounds like it is farting, while the engine is running... so i am sure my cap is working properly, i think it is a vent issue..

does anyone know if I have to drop the tank in order to get to the vent? i would assume soo... but heck, I guess while i'm down there, I might as well extend the line.. ;)

if i'm not mistaken the gas cap should be the vent, or at least it is able to vent if needed.

If there is a vent in the gas cap, I believe it will be a one way valve that lets air into the tank, but won't let tank vapors out into the air. It's purpose is to prevent the tank from developing a vacuum. It sounds like in this case we have positive pressure developing. Positive pressure is supposed to be vented off into the intake manifold via the charcoal cannister/cannister purge valve.
Here's what I would do:
Check for a plugged line between the charcoal cannister and the fuel tank. From under the hood, find the charcoal cannister. Unplug the hose that goes back to the gas tank, hook a vacuum pump/gauge to it. If you can readily pull a vacuum, then that hose is likely plugged.
Check for plugged line to intake manifold/purge solenoid action. Disconnect the line going to the cannister purge solenoid from the cannister and connect vacuum pump to this line. You should be able to readily pull a vacuum, as the valve should be closed. Enter EEC-IV KOEO output state test. Using the vacuum pump/gauge, you should be able to see the computer opening and closing the valve. The solenoid may also click as it opens and closes.
Finally make sure air can flow through the charcoal cannister.

dont get me wrong or nothing, i hope you get it all fixed and what not but that has got to be one of the funniest titles for a thread ever. i am still laughing at it.
good luck

thanks for all the info MrShorty!

I am going to get on that right now..
I was just concerned about my gas milage, becuase I know that the tank is under pressure.. when I do hear the "farting" sound it makes, if i take the cap off you hear it release the pressure.. so i was assuming the valve in the cap was letting pressure out.

Back