Mustang 302 swap question

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hey ya'll got a 302 motor for the stang and was told that the tranny will bolt right up so my quest is, will the tranmission and rear be able to take that power/torque since its only built for the 4cyl? The rear end is already whinning and fluids are good so we know were goin to have to replace that. So yeah thank ya'll for any info you may have I thought some of yenz on here have stangs and would probably know something on this since its a popular swap for a stang. by the way its an 89 LX my cuz and i's project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OKay so you have a 89 Mustang 2.3L and you want to install the new 5.0L V8?

Just trying to make your post clear, I thought you were asking about putting this engine into your explorer

Correct we're putting the 302 in the mustang but it originally had the 4cyl in it. The 4cyl had a really bad rapping in the motor and one night it just started blowing smoke out the motor and exhaust really bad. and then my cousin started it the next day and he said it made a real bad rap and locked up so we junked the motor and want to put the 302 in it. But was thinking and I'm not sure if the stock tranny would hold up to the torque and horsepower of the 302 even without racing it. (its a slow project)

Lol, just realized how long ago this was, my bad.

Back