Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer

never mind wont fit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I decided to change the throttle body on my 4.0 SOHC Explorer. The idea was conceived earlier this year when I was in Birmingham, AL, doing some dyno work with Doug Studdard ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ) and meet James Henson ( jah81592 ), the owner of the STS Turbo Explorer ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136871&page=1&pp=20 ). He had a larger throttle body on his truck. And that got me thinking.

The throttle body in question is from Ford Racing and made for a 1996-2001 4.6l 2V V8 Mustang.

I ordered the throttle body from Summit Racing ( Dead Link Removed ). The Summit part number is FMS-M-9926-D462 and the price was $198.83 to my door. The Ford number is F6PU-AA.

This Ford Racing Mustang Hi Flow throttle body diameter is 70mm whereas the stock Explorer throttle body diameter is, I think, 65mm.

The first step in replacing the throttle body is to take off the intake cover and then remove the Mac intake tube from the throttle body and MAF. This is followed by disconnecting the TPS ( throttle position sensor ) connector. The accelerator and cruise control cables are then detached. The 4 bolts/screws that attach the throttle body to the intake manifold are removed ( the ¼” air ratchet was very helpful ). The throttle body and gasket are now removed.

The new throttle body is installed by reversing the removal protocol. A new gasket was used in this installation.

The installation took about 15 minutes.

After the installation of the throttle body, the truck was started and the throttle tested; thankfully, all was well. The idle was smooth. A brief road test showed all was well. Could I tell a difference in performance? Probably not. Gas mileage and dyno numbers will tell the tale.

A trip to the dyno as well as a long road trip is scheduled. RWHP and mileage data are forthcoming.

I went to summit.com they also sale a 75mm TB. Will this be a direct bolt on just like your 70mm TB???

Oh really, can you explain? I am not insulting you’re intelligents. I am just curious why an extra 5mm is not worth it for the same price of a 70mm Tb.

If it was the same price, and then only if the PCM is going to be tuned at the same time, I might do it. I no longer believe that parts need to be just big enough. It is beneficial for almost any use to use bigger parts than normally considered right, if the PCM is tuned at that time. Regards,

Mine is a stock late Mustang TB, smaller than stock but polished, it didn't help.

The point is that any increase in air flow by reducing restrictions, that is good. But it may only help with tuning the A/F ratio properly, it will hurt if the change is too great and no tuning is done.

I need help, I purchased the Ford Mustang 70mm throttle body this thread is about just other people, however I just read on a different website that without an exhaust system my engine will actually run worst compared to now. Is this statement fact or fiction? If its fact would a custom exhaust is better than a per-made application exhaust.

Thanks for everyone that answers I appreciate it.

I seriously doubt that it will run worse than stock w/o an exhaust upgrade, however, you probably not see any advantages.

As far as exhaust goes, I would have a custom cat back using the muffler of your choice.

Good luck ...

I seriously doubt that it will run worse than stock w/o an exhaust upgrade, however, you probably not see any advantages.

As far as exhaust goes, I would have a custom cat back using the muffler of your choice.

Good luck

so basically your telling me I just wasted my money? I was looking for throttle response. I also order a larger MAF with these two put together I still wont see any advantages?

What MAF did you get?

First. What bad air are you referring to? Exhaust gases?
Second. I got a spectre MAF its 3' was only $25 bucks from my local AutoZone. Now I know it’s not the one you have but yours was like 100+. So I went cheap but hopefully I get something. My throttle body was also 151.31 to my door from summitracing.com

Improving air flow into and out of any engine helps. Note that we are always talking about a computer controlled engine, which is tuned for the parts in the engine.

If you improve air flow in or out, retuning the PCM will result in improvements. Don't go by how the vehicle feels, that is about 99% of the time wrong. Only believe real testing, that's done by timing the vehicle from one location to another.

Look into a flasher and new programming.

Improving air flow into and out of any engine helps. Note that we are always talking about a computer controlled engine, which is tuned for the parts in the engine.

If you improve air flow in or out, retuning the PCM will result in improvements. Don't go by how the vehicle feels, that is about 99% of the time wrong. Only believe real testing, that's done by timing the vehicle from one location to another.

Look into a flasher and new programming.

can you please be more spectific

There is basically one flasher(PCM programmer) common here, the Excal from SCT. Those run close to $400 new including programming. The first two versions are somewhat common now, to find for under $200. With a used flasher though, note that you are responsible for it being unlocked before you can use it, and you have to pay for new programming for those.

A flasher becomes locked each time that it loads a program to a vehicle. It cannot be used again until it's unlocked, which means that the program is returned to the flasher. That way the flasher can only be used for one vehicle at a time. You have to make sure that a seller has removed the program from their vehicle, it is very expensive to have SCT unlock a flasher.

Yeah I have noted that there is a lot of discussion about programming and tuning and that kind of nature. My question is can I purchase a programmer or flasher directly off the internet, plug it in my explorer and have results. I don’t have more than one source of transportation. I was actually planning on having a custom exhaust put on and then use the X cal 3 tuners. However I became confused with all the threads. Will it enable me to plug and play resulting in extra HP?

The flasher results depend on the quality of the programming.

We have a well known programmer here who has a lot of experience with Explorers. Someone like that will be more successful at creating a program that matches your modifications, than a less experienced programmer.

The best results come from custom programming, where the programmer has access to data collected from the actual vehicle. With that data logging the programmer can alter the programmer to a finer degree, depending on what is needed.

For a bolt on modification, just buying a flasher with tunes provided will give noticeable improvements. They will be more than all other changes for the SOHC, but not quite as good as a real custom tune.

Consult with James about the subject, he is very helpful and can handle anything you need. Try to have all of your modifications done before the PCM tuning(flasher). The OEM computer will do fine until then, it won't get worse than stock.

FYI, open up the whole exhaust if you will do the PCM tuning. Do the whole exhaust if you can, 2.5" from collector to tail pipe and being duals, that would not hurt. Of course it all costs money, that's why most people don't do dual exhaust on the V6 ever, and almost never for the 302.

If you do want the most power(no loss in economy after PCM tuning), open up the entire exhaust, go to 75mm TB even, a MAF of at least 80mm(like the Lightning MAF's).

Note that with a bigger MAF you immediately need PCM tuning, that is a major change to the computer. You need to do the MAF last, at the exact same time as the PCM.

The flasher results depend on the quality of the programming.

We have a well known programmer here who has a lot of experience with Explorers. Someone like that will be more successful at creating a program that matches your modifications, than a less experienced programmer.

The best results come from custom programming, where the programmer has access to data collected from the actual vehicle. With that data logging the programmer can alter the programmer to a finer degree, depending on what is needed.

For a bolt on modification, just buying a flasher with tunes provided will give noticeable improvements. They will be more than all other changes for the SOHC, but not quite as good as a real custom tune.

Consult with James about the subject, he is very helpful and can handle anything you need. Try to have all of your modifications done before the PCM tuning(flasher). The OEM computer will do fine until then, it won't get worse than stock.

FYI, open up the whole exhaust if you will do the PCM tuning. Do the whole exhaust if you can, 2.5" from collector to tail pipe and being duals, that would not hurt. Of course it all costs money, that's why most people don't do dual exhaust on the V6 ever, and almost never for the 302.

If you do want the most power(no loss in economy after PCM tuning), open up the entire exhaust, go to 75mm TB even, a MAF of at least 80mm(like the Lightning MAF's).

Note that with a bigger MAF you immediately need PCM tuning, that is a major change to the computer. You need to do the MAF last, at the exact same time as the PCM.

(What will happen if I put on my MAF without a tune? Secondly, is there any way I can have james tune my explorer without driving to him or sending in my computer? how much am i looking at spending also?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the stock electronics in a larger MAF housing?

Back