Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer

That's what I was getting at, any change in the MAF will have an overall affect on the air/fuel mixture. You are directly altering the air getting in, but the signal will be telling the PCM something different. You can do as Mustang guys have done and waste money on a "calibrated" MAF, which tricks the PCM. Don't do that, often those have poor signal curves for the PCM, which makes tuning almost impossible. James can elaborate on that, but just get a good MAF module, the electronics. That's why the Lightning is so popular, it's very good, high quality and bigger.

James is the kind of Explorer expert that will get closer with the tune without having the truck. Of course it can be better if he has the truck, but the point is that it will still be pretty good as he uses knowledge of other trucks to make tunes. Ask him about it, he will give you choices.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Improving air flow into and out of any engine helps. Note that we are always talking about a computer controlled engine, which is tuned for the parts in the engine.

If you improve air flow in or out, retuning the PCM will result in improvements. Don't go by how the vehicle feels, that is about 99% of the time wrong. Only believe real testing, that's done by timing the vehicle from one location to another.

Look into a flasher and new programming.

Thanks for all your helpful advice first of all. What are the names of the flasher and programmers you think are best to use? That way I can read about them and find the cheapest price, after I purchase them I will contact james for a proper tuning. Thanks again for your help.

I would contact James of Henson performance, he sometimes has used flashers. The SCT Excal III is the current newest flasher, and it works on any Ford basically from 1996 to now.

Search the site for "James SCT programmer", that should pull a bunch of threads to look at.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3582534

I would contact James of Henson performance, he sometimes has used flashers. The SCT Excal III is the current newest flasher, and it works on any Ford basically from 1996 to now.

Search the site for "James SCT programmer", that should pull a bunch of threads to look at.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3582534

Okay so I returned the Spectre 3" MAF. I’m looking at the lighting 90mm MAF and I am a little confused some cost $200 more than others. How can I be sure the MAF comes equip with all the necessary electronics.

Here is a link a URL http://www.lastcallracing.com/frp-90mmlmaf.html
Will this fit on my explorer it looks right. Also does it have the right electronics?

Yes that should plug right in, the connector is what you look at to match the number of wires. Those are common to find used for $50 or so, and they are that good of a part. Depending on what kind of air cleaner you have or will use, you might need the adapter plate that helps to bolt on an air filter directly to that. You will need to find a matching size inlet hose or adapter also, which happens when you go to a bigger MAF.

the connector is what you look at to match the number of wires. Those are common to find used for $50 or so, and they are that good of a part. Depending on what kind of air cleaner you have or will use, .

Can you shed more infomation about that more please? What about the wires that connect to my OEM mass air flow now.

Yes, the LMAF will be a six wire MAF I'm fairly certain, I think they are all the same. Our Explorers with OBDII will have the same six wire connection. The older Fords had just four wires, the IAT sensor was on the intake manifold then. What model truck do you have again?

Yes, the LMAF will be a six wire MAF I'm fairly certain, I think they are all the same. Our Explorers with OBDII will have the same six wire connection. The older Fords had just four wires, the IAT sensor was on the intake manifold then. What model truck do you have again?

Man I am trying not to be a pain in your A$$ but i mite as well be reading spanish. To make it easier on me can you please give me like a part name that will be useful in a google search.

Well what truck do you have, the year needs to be 1996 up? You can contact a seller and confirm that it has a six wire connector.
To search for other Lightning meters, use "LMAF" or "Lightning MAF."

Well what truck do you have, the year needs to be 1996 up? You can contact a seller and confirm that it has a six wire connector.
To search for other Lightning meters, use "LMAF" or "Lightning MAF."

Its a 2000 ford explorer SOHO 4.0 after I get the following installed TB, MAF, Exhaust 2'5 then I will be able to tune the PCM with the X cal SCT III am i right with that statement?

That'll work. You should have no trouble driving it with all of those, except the MAF.

Get the MAF and make it fit with whatever hoses and air filter adapter things it takes to do it. I'm saying without starting it, make the LMAF fit, and then remove it until you have a new program. Install the new MAF and the new PCM programming at the same time.
Be sure to tell James what you are doing with the exhaust and the MAF. Depending on how big you do go with the exhaust, he will richen the mixture differently. You need the programming to gain the most out of the big changes like the exhaust.

alright thanks for all your help ill let you know how everything works out for me. Dont hold your breath for it but eventually ill get everything put in slowly, but surely. Ill try to post pictures too if i can.

I tried to install my TB to today and its not a direct fit. I dont understand why, i got the same one al said he did. If anyone can explain that would be great, i have 2000 sport explorer SOHO engine.

What is the new TB made for? The 98 or so and newer Mustang 4.6 TB matches our SOHC. You would be using your TPS sensor, and the cruise cable may end up with a little more slack in it.

What is the new TB made for? The 98 or so and newer Mustang 4.6 TB matches our SOHC. You would be using your TPS sensor, and the cruise cable may end up with a little more slack in it.

AGREED

I've used both the FMS and BBK versions of the 4.6L TB on my old SOHC Sport and they both bolted up without an issue. I had slack in the cruise cable with both.

AGREED

I've used both the FMS and BBK versions of the 4.6L TB on my old SOHC Sport and they both bolted up without an issue. I had slack in the cruise cable with both.

bolt patterns dont line up, and some other $h!t doesnt either.

That has to be the wrong application TB, get it swapped.

Is your stock TB plastic or Metal? It should fit but you'll need to turn it upside down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That has to be the wrong application TB, get it swapped.

If you dont understand this thats fine because its hard to explain. First my throttle body is bolted on side ways, the right side is higher than the left. Under my TB there is a little hose, if i follow the hose it goes right to a little piece that draws air inside my TB. When i followed the hose it lead another line. There is a second hole once again inside my TB that leades straight into the upper intake MF. My TB is metal my IMF in plastic. If that helps any.

Back