Mustang Engine to Explorer Swap

OSSSQ

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford 2006 4.6
Hello

Ford Mustang 4.6L 8 cylinders 3V SOHC complete engine of unknown model year (with crossover water inlet No 7R3E-8C369, made me think it’s a 2010, but not sure) was swapped into Ford Explorer 2006 4.6L 8 cylinders 3V SOHC, with 6R60 transmission. The two engine looked the same. Differences noticed during swapping:
  • Intake manifold and throttle
  • Wiring harnesses
  • Engine oil pan
  • Engine oil dipstick
  • Exhaust manifold
  • Water pump & water crossover inlets
  • Radiator hoses
  • Knock sensors were canceled (not present in Ford Explorer.
  • Flywheel, used the old one
————————

Everything went smooth, until two days later:
  • Deceleration noise appeared after warmups
  • Screeching/grinding/squalling noise with a little rattling sound
  • Occur every time a RPM is slowing down (ex; release gas pedal, transmission upshift lead to RPM drop & then this noise,...).
  • The noise is hard to localize by stethoscope, coming from front engine, intake manifold & valve cover.
  • Over the the following few weeks, the noises is getting louder. I could hear it when driving slowly, when engine is not on load, but mainly during decelerations.
———————

Diagnosis:
  • No check engine code.
  • Engine run smooth.
  • No other complaints.
  • Engine belt removed to check pulleys, no change in noise
  • VVT sensors harnesses were disconnecting, no change in noise.
————————
Visited dozen of mechanics, almost all of them say it’s an intake manifold noise.
  • Intake manifold was replaced
  • Throttle body was replaced
No success.
End of story.

—————————-
How to know the engine year model? Would using the serial number on the engine sticker help?

The old engine block start with 3L, new one start with 6L. Any difference? Any significant here?

I read in this forum about CMCV/IRMC in 2010 engine, what’s it? any role here?

How about VCV OR PCV valve in Mustang vs Explorer?

Cam duration/intake runner can be the issue?

Can be the cause an internal update/difference of Mustang engine across 05-10, compatibility issue vs Explorer ?

Your insight of this is much appreciated? Suggestion on how to approach?

————————

Side question, 06 V8 Explorer use SP-547, Mustang 05-08 use SP-547 while Mustang 08-10 uses SP-509. which spark plug I should be using?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump hopefully somebody will know

Is it an iron block or aluminum block? Hit it with a magnet if it's been painted.

My guess is the PCM/TCM as build code dont match the engine,especially with the engine built with the knock sensors control.

Start with compairing of as build charts , explorer and mustang.

Focus in PCM/TCM charts of the same build years.

Despite the same visual look ,these engines could be totally different on the software level.

Good luck

Any chance of getting the PCM that was with the engine??

And any chance the new engine placed the engine mounts differently, Deceleration noises most often is a drive line problem....

Rich

Picture of the engine before swapping

95F88D5E-93CC-46AB-9615-2F93A5EF2A89.png 3F371955-F99A-4237-A814-1B43AA4BB41D.jpeg 7602250B-01E5-48D6-8757-5D4CDF9F1808.png

The p/n probably means nothing since they can be related to multiply production years vehicles.

The 7S836BA engine assy could be related to any of the 2007-2008 mustangs

Yeah so the biggest difference is you just swapped a aluminum engine in place of an iron block. Not sure if the mount holes line up but on the earlier 2vs the same swap is a slight headache.

With that throttle body it had on it it was definitely from a mustang.

As

boominXplorer said:​

"Yeah so the biggest difference is you just swapped a aluminum engine in place of an iron block. Not sure if the mount holes line up but on the earlier 2vs the same swap is a slight headache. "

That was what i suggested, that the motor mounts might be a little different and that might have moved the engine and transmission a little back and thus put a strain on the drive line, the rear shaft does seem to have much in the way of a slip yoke or
shaft as the transmission and rear end are fixed (mounted solidly) so there is little to no room for any misalignment or end play.

Rich

Back