Mutineer's SAS thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mutineer's SAS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked into this while I was doing the work today and it seems a more viable solution than I thought... I might try it with a peice of angle iron and see what happens.

After looking at it I dont think that would be too much stress on anything unless your jumping busses or something....not in my plans...lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK I got the front mount plate moved back, welded and braced.

I think the angle is fine., and I finally got to put it down on it's own weight.

On to the winch plate!

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 566
  • driver side 2.JPG
    driver side 2.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 605
  • pass side.JPG
    pass side.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 559
  • driver ft.JPG
    driver ft.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 558

Here's the beginnings of the winch plate, I've got to trim it down and shape it a bit, then weld it on and build the bumper from there.

But the front is all but done. Got a few more braces to build but for the most part its good to go.

WOO HOO!!!!

Attachments

• winch plate.JPG
    winch plate.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 578

Thank You, Sir. :D

OK, I got some wheels and tires so i can set it down and turn it around before putting it in the garage...

Enjoy.... This thing looks H U G E ! ! ! ! :D

...so totally stoked :D

Post 1 of 2

Attachments

• 104_1857.JPG
    104_1857.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 559
  • 104_1856.JPG
    104_1856.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 552
  • 104_1855.JPG
    104_1855.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 553
  • 104_1853.JPG
    104_1853.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 561

In the garage... and I was WORE OUT... I did this all by myself....lol

Post 2 of 2

Attachments

• 104_1861.JPG
    104_1861.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 104_1860.JPG
    104_1860.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 534
  • 104_1859.JPG
    104_1859.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 548

It doesn't only look huge, that thing IS huge! You're still making the smaller shackles too right?

Nice work. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Yeah the shackles will only be as long as the braces in those shackles... Im building them soon, but not this weekend...Ill be out of town. Soon as I get back I will start on them and tearing down the back.

S T O K E D ! ! ! !

oh man that is going to look gooooood.

Thanks!

OK I got the rear all hooked up and installed, save for the brakes. Good thing is I can use my old driveshaft, the length is right and it bolts right up.-that is, untill I install the 4406, then it will be shorter. I took into account the driveline angle once the longer t-case is in, and I think I got it right.

1 problem:

The wheels I got fit the front fine, but in the back the center hole is about 1/4" too small to go over the hub.. Not to worry I got a little something for that - he he he... they wont be used on the road so no worries.

Ill try to get a few pics tomorrow night when I get home from work.

almost on it's wheels...

By the time you get the rear finished up, you may run into a issue. . . . Getting it out of the garage. LOL Seriously, it looks like it is going to be a bigger truck than your Garage door will allow.

By the time you get the rear finished up, you may run into a issue. . . . Getting it out of the garage. LOL Seriously, it looks like it is going to be a bigger truck than your Garage door will allow.

Got that covered. It will fit with the wheels removed.

This was all part of the plan. I didnt intend to work outside in the weather and let my project get ruined. With the rear wheels removed and a jack under the rear differential, It will fit through the door. As soon as all the welding is done and painted to avoid rust, Ill remove the wheels and slide it out on a jack or maybe some Hillman rollers.

No Worries! :D

Latest Progress

Here are a few Pics I got to take with my BlackBerry...might be a bit fuzzy but it's all I got right now. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG00001.jpg
    IMG00001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG00002.jpg
    IMG00002.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG00003.jpg
    IMG00003.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG00005.jpg
    IMG00005.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 479

Heres the best one, and one of the Mustang just for fun. :D

Attachments

• IMG00006.jpg
    IMG00006.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG00004.jpg
    IMG00004.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 487

Looks great but I would go with a bigger tire, those really look small... Just kidding, actually just wanted to subscribe to this thread to see the progress. Really looks great, nice Stang too.

I would suggest you take it down a little bit to reduce the chances of rolling over. Trust me on this one ;) My Dana60 swap will be lower even with 40" tires than the previous Dana44 and 36"s -- too many times has my Explorer almost rolled. Scraping the underbelly is not as big of a problem than rolling over so keep it low. Often times belly clearance isnt the issue, its hanging the differential up on rocks and stuff.

roller.jpg

med.jpg

Thanks GRNMACHINE :biggthump

I would suggest you take it down a little bit to reduce the chances of rolling over. Trust me on this one ;) ...

Agree with you there... The shackles I have on it now are lift shackles... it'll come down about 2 -3 inches when I finally get the actual shackles fabbed up.

I wanted to clear 38's and I thought I needed 4" lift springs to do it. but it ended up being alot more lift than I thought. Thats why I redesigned the front hangers, I was going to put a peice of Box rail in there, but ended up going with the 1/4" plate to keep it lower. The good part is that I was able to use the existing frame and stuff and less weight is the result.

The rear worked out great, I can use the stock shock mounts and the stock driveshaft bolts up when using the AWD Tcase. I havent welded the rear spring perches yet, because I want to be able to adjust the driveline angle after installing the 4406.

I am planning on some skid plates for the diffs and the gas tank will be re-located to the rear of the "bed" and it will be a foam filled fuel cell. This will all be after I chop the rear roof and windows and build the cage.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated and I embrace constructive criticism.

Thanks Y'all.

Just curious, why are you going to cut the roof? Or why does anyone for that matter? I agree with it looking cool, but even in sunny southern california i would never want to be permanently exposed to the elements or open up my vehicle to nosy people. Other than that this truck's looking awesome! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious, why are you going to cut the roof? Or why does anyone for that matter? I agree with it looking cool, but even in sunny southern california i would never want to be permanently exposed to the elements or open up my vehicle to nosy people. Other than that this truck's looking awesome! :thumbsup:

Well first of all, weight. The hatch and all that glass...

Secondly I'm relocating the fuel tank to the bed area lest it be damaged by rocks or debris and such, and having that in the closed cabin area is a nogo.

Plus trail clearance and peripheral vision when off road in serious situation...

It all depends on how seriously you plan to use your truck I guess.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back