Mutineer's SAS thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mutineer's SAS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the only regs we have here is a certain amount of inches to the headlights...36 comes to mind, Ill check, but if not I got a good trailer to get it to the trails.
that pretty much is the finished product, except the mud on it got there before teardown...lol I'll have to fix that...

I will upgrade to 37 or 39" tires when those wear out.

Thanks!

Not sure how accurate this is, but it says AL has 60" to tail lights.
http://www.roughcountry.com/lift_laws.html

Yeah thats right....

I was thinking of Texas, where the fog lights cant be more than 30"... I was raised (and will always be) a Texan, so my mind defaults... Oh well, good thing it'll be legal here in good ol' AL... I am SOOO glad we dont have State Inspections... I used to have to fail all kinds of awesome rigs when I lived in TX.

Texas: Headlights Max 54" Min 24", Taillights Max 72" Min 15", Foglights Max 30" Min 12"

we have frame height, tail light height, and headlight height laws here in Alaska. ugh.

Got the steering links welded up and painted, and mostly installed, I have to do the gearbox tonihgt, as well as hooking up the PS lines.

Im hoping to get to drive this puppy tonight :D :D :D

OK I DROVE THE BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got no Power steering, due to a terrible experiment gone wrong, Where I hooked up the lines backwards (since this is a mixed up configuration,, I didnt know... :rolleyes: )

But I cleaned it up, capped off the lines and drove it a good 15 miles to the store today!!!!!!!!!!!

My camera is a casualty of the PS incident, so I am not able to get pics, But I did get to throw a few pieces of mud on the truck :D :D :D

What I got left to do:

re-route the Ft brake lines
fix the P.S.
build the front bumper and winch plate
Install the shocks
do the Transfer Case swap

Thats all I got right now, not including the body work and the roll cage, which Im saving for last.

I will try to get pics, but it still looks the same as the last ones.

Thanks Y'all!

Update: Driven! Flex pics

Heres a few pics I took today after getting the shock mounts welded, filling up the rear end and finalizing the alignment.

Pretty good flex for leafies Id say, and this is not at the limit, just the only place I had to do the test. I think its got more in it... :D

It drives straight and runs great. Now I need to concentrate on the body mods, re-route the Ft brake lines, fix the P.S., build the front bumper and winch plate, after that I need to get the 5:13 gears and a locker for the rear and it'll be 4WD again.

Not bad for over 3 years of weekends and holidays huh? :D:D:D

My camera became a casualty of war in the PS incident, and has been laid to rest, so these are taken with a blackberry, they actually look good...

Daniel

Attachments

• Mutineer First Flex (2).jpg
    Mutineer First Flex (2).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • Mutineer First Flex (4).jpg
    Mutineer First Flex (4).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,363
  • Mutineer First Flex (3).jpg
    Mutineer First Flex (3).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 773
  • Mutineer First Flex (1).jpg
    Mutineer First Flex (1).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 891

Starting to look Serious now aint it?

I know its been on and off getting updates to this thread, thanks to yall that are still watching, any thoughts?

two mountaineers now...sweet

Did you talk about taking the BL out at all? Mine wasn't that fun offroad untill I got the BL out and lowered a little.

when i swap my b ody i will be doing that, i highly advise it

Problem is I like the clearance I get over the trans and the engine when working on it, and some of the things I had to do to make the BL work are not just a swap out to reverse, bolt lengths and fan configuratiuons would have to change, etc...

I braced the blocks, and locktite on the bolts as well as keeping a good check on the torque after each run has kept shifting to a minimum.

Im chopping the top and losing significant weight so center of gravity shouldnt be an issue..

Did you talk about taking the BL out at all? Mine wasn't that fun offroad untill I got the BL out and lowered a little.

when i swap my b ody i will be doing that, i highly advise it

Why was it less fun with the body lift? Did it really make that much difference?

I understand the lower the stabler...

Just wondering how 3" is going to make alot of difference...

In a few off-camber tests Ive done I dont feel alot of lean...

Is there another factor I am missing that makes taking the body lift out so important?

My whole design will change if I do, I designed everything around the lift installed, so taking it out isnt as simple as it sounds...

Daniel

???

Oh well...

I got the exhaust done today, have to patch a few pinholes in the top where its hard to get to, but it sounds alot better....:D

drove it a ways today and noticed the steering was a bit loose, will adjust the gear tomorrow and see what happens then.

does anyone know a good place to get a bumper?

Will the ones for the Cherokees work?

I want to fab one up but may not have the time... Im leaving for Iraq on August 4th.

Good Lord, to say the least, I am incredibly envious of your mechanical talents, as well as the dedication you put forth into making this beautiful piece of machinery look the way it does. You sir, I do applaud. :notworthy: How much did this all end up costing? (at least so far)

when you get really off camber the body lift rears its ugly head with the increased cog. Mine was designed around the body lift as well, but i did make some what if modifications to steering and mounts.

BKennedy's front bumper is for a Cherokee. They are the perfect width, but he had to remake the mounts and I think he said it was pretty easy.
Sweet, I found this Awesome one from a guy up in PA, looks just like the mock-ups I been doing on PPT... I was hoping I would get that answer :D

Good Lord, to say the least, I am incredibly envious of your mechanical talents, as well as the dedication you put forth into making this beautiful piece of machinery look the way it does. You sir, I do applaud. :notworthy: How much did this all end up costing? (at least so far)

Thank You, Sir. I have sunk about 6,000 in it so far, Axles, 700.00 for the torque monsters (everyone should have these!) and the transfer case, Tires and wheels, etc... Plus I paid about 7000.00 for thetruck itself waaaay back in 2002.

I did all the fab work myself, and used most of the old parts I cut off to make the new parts, so i saved alot there.

Still am looking at dishing out about 800 for bumpers and 300 for a fuel cell, not to mention what it'll cost me to do the hydro assist on the steering.

when you get really off camber the body lift rears its ugly head with the increased cog. Mine was designed around the body lift as well, but i did make some what if modifications to steering and mounts.

Ill look into it, it may not be as difficult as I'm thinking to redesign a few things...

Daniel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres the mock ups of the front bumper...

and theres one of the one I found from PA...

Daniel

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 881
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 864
  • bumper21.jpg
    bumper21.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 874
  • bumper22.jpg