My 02' Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 02' Sport

2002, 5 speed manual, same ole same ole, I really enjoy this ride though, I average 20mpg or so per tank and drive the wheels off of it, I like it alot more than I thought I would, it now has 14K on the clock and runs great ( I bought it new Jan, of 03'), I have cut the breather element box for more air flow and thats all, K&N filter soon to come..

4.jpg

8.jpg

Had to get the bra to cover up a boob boo I recieved when my brother pulled in front of me... caved in the side of his t-bird... small dent and scratch on the 'X'.. :D
9.jpg

Stig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice truck Stig. You and I have one of the seldom seen 5 speeds. Did you do the tint? If so, what % is it?

I had the tint done at a local shop..

The front for windows were matched to the back windows factory tint.. which is 20% I believe, then I had the back window Limoed on top of the factory tint, and the front strip is also limo.. It creates the illusion of them all being really dark yet keeps the cops happy... the rear window is black at high noon though.. :D

How well did your X respond to the Apten performance chip?

As you may know, better shift points and such are a selling point to the chips. Of course that doesn't apply to us but the gains were noticeable and worth the money. I have yet to change the exhaust and have heard that really completes the intake, chip, exhaust mods that are commonly done to our engines. The service from Brian was great and you'll love the chip. I would recommend to anyone.

I have to keep the thing off the ground a bit... we use it to go out into the woods on occation if we feel the need to throw the canoe on top.. and I haul my motorcycle with it if the thing needs to be shopped... I was planning on perhaps, getting larger tires for it... I finally got the K&N put in it and the air box is all cut up... runs a tad bit better now... last trip with three people and all our stuff I averaged 22.3mpg running 75 to 80mph... :D

I like it so far... bought it 9 months ago new and now has 16K on it.. :lol:

Don't worry Stig, mine is 14 months old and has 37K

Anybody know where to get inside door handles for these sports... some that dont' flake...?

I have noticed some flaking just under the a/c controls on the shroud but not yet on the door handles. I would be interested in a replacement kit as well.

Nice looking sport. The interior handles fade and flake fairly easily. If you are still under the 3yr/35K warranty it is an item that the dealership should cover. I had mine replaced then wrapped the grip portion in leather. I plan to paint them to match the exterior along with a bunch of other parts soon, but will keep the leather on them to make sure that paint doesn't fade as well. I'm not sure if it is cheap paint, or the material doesn't let the paint bond very well.

My sons 01 trac inside pull handles lost all there paint, he removed them, got some 1 1/4 inch shrink tubing, hit them with a heat gun, they look just like my 03 handles.
just another way to do a fix

Nice X. I just bought a 2001 Sport and love it. Not gettin 20 mpg. Thinking about a few mods. Good luck

The door handle issue (Lots of guys have it) got me to thinking...Always a dangerous thing!
What about getting a 'lace on' steering wheel cover in whatever color you wanted,(Even leather if you wanted to be fancy) cutting it to length, and lacing it over the door handle? You wouldnt even have to take the door apart or anything!
Just an idea...
MCTOY

Nice truck! Very clean looking. I'm not a fan of "the bra", but if it covers up problems I'm sure it doesn't look bad at all!

-Drew

Back