My 1990 3.0L RWD & 1990 4.0L E-4WD Aerostar vans. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1990 3.0L RWD & 1990 4.0L E-4WD Aerostar vans.

intelisevil

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
I'm sorry but I don't have the time to search right now.

I'm the original owner of a '90 3.0 RWD Eddie Bauer standard length Aerostar, decent body for the age. I'm about to go look at a '90 4.0 E-4WD Eddie Bauer extended length, body not so good and a "Salvage" title. Supposedly it "runs well, just needs a battery" They're even the same color!

Here's my question: Has anyone swapped a 4.0 E-4WD powertrain into a 3.0 RWD body/chassis? If there's a thread could you please point me to it?

Thanks in Advance,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my only thought is the wheelbase is the same on the standard and extended vans.theres a all wheel drive parts van near me too but id rather have two wheel drive because of the better miles per gallon.plus it hardly ever snows here.

How much body damage does it have? Considering its age, I'm sure that it's hard to get one in perfect condition. You can't keep a vehicle in perfect condition where I live, so if it comes with scratches or dents, it won't get you too upset if new ones occur. Body shops charge a few hundred per dent so it doesn't make sense to put a few thousand into it if it's very old.

Now that I've seen it, it's not that bad for a 26 year old vehicle!

It hadn't been started "in a few months". I put a gallon of gas in it because "it's on fumes" and hooked up a fresh battery. It started right up and purred without a hint of squeak, squeal or valve chatter. I didn't drive it because it had a couple of low tires and I didn't want to risk hurting the E-4WD system.

It has 147K (or 247K or 347K???) miles on it. With the Eddie Bauer digital dash, Ford didn't allow for the left most digit to go above '1'! I know because mine (original owner) has 260K on it but only shows 160K.

I'm going back on Saturday with an air pump, a couple of spares from my current Aerostar and $300. With a new set of tires it will be my spare beater Winter vehicle!

use one of those vin checking sites to find out the mileage.

I'm the voice of larger displacement engines, and a V8 explorer awd drive train would make a nice winter beater car.

Post a picture of it.

picture.php

picture.php

You can see other members of the family in this one, '99 5.0 Mounty and '00 SOHC XLT.

picture.php

picture.php

I drove it about 40 miles to get it home. I think the AC even tried to work a little, I'm not sure because it was in the mid 50's. I need to get new tires before I feel safe driving it any more. My wife is happy, now I have a use for my 'extra' set of 15" Explorer wheels! My first repair was to replace the front wiper blades, I DO live in Oregon . . .

It's running nice and smooth in Park/Neutral, a little rough in gear. I'm going to try to smog it as is and then tune up as needed.

Can I change the name of the thread since I'm no longer wanting to do a powertrain swap?

Nice find!

first intact back bumper ive seen on an extended.

first intact back bumper ive seen on an extended.

Take a closer look at the third picture, lower left corner. The previous owner's insurance company "Totaled" the van due to that damage.

The title of the thread is now updated. I could see very minor body damage. Just leave it the way it is. Make a tune up, replace all of the fluids & filters.

Thanks for the title change but the thread's more about my 'new' '90 4.0 E-4WD Eddie Bauer.

Other than fixing a leak (front driver's side roof rack mounting bolt?) and bending the top portion of the driver's door back towards the body (I think someone may have bent it out while trying to break into it) I'm not going to touch the body.

After new tires (on the way), a good tune-up and fluid & filter changes I plan on making this my daily driver for a while to see if it has any other secrets. I suspect the mpg will be less than my 5.0 AWD Mounty (16-17 mpg combo, 20+ highway).

I love it when my coworkers razz me about my low mpgs compared to their brand new 30+ mpg cars. I then ask them to compare car payments (none here!) and insurance. I'll never use $300-500 (their car payments) of gas in a month! True my vehicle might not be as dependable as their brand new car (but I can work on mine), that's why I keep a spare one in the driveway.

It isn't what you drive, it is the pride in ownership. My van gets the best fuel economy of all my vehicles.

Back