My 1993 Aerostar will not start.

aerostar93

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Aerostar
I have several questions.

Today My Aerostar would not start I still had battery juice and it didn't even try to crank. My brother told me to touch metal to the starter while cranking well I put metal on the alternator instead it started right up. 1. Could touching metal to top of alternator cause problems?
Also, my lights have been blinking for months in the overhead light while idling not on and off but dimming a little. My air bag light is always flashing in the last two weeks and the air bag chime stopped making noises year or two ago. 2. Does anyone know where the airbag chime is located to be replaced?
Or if it has its own fuse could it be that?
My Aerostar did crank up on its own without touching anything metal to the alternator or starter after I got home today so it seems something is not working sometimes.
3. Could it be starter going bad or alternator?
The battery terminals are pretty worn out themselves.
4. Also a month or two ago me and brother replaced waterpump and one of the pulleys seem to have bearings going bad in it could this be causing problems?
Before the water pump problem the Van would stall sometimes and would have to give it gas and turn key over and over which could of wore out starter. But again after I got home today it cranked right up with ease.
Also I see that a failing ignition switch could cause some of these problems also

Definitely start with the battery...especially the ground side. All these intermittent faults could be caused by bad battery connection, IMO

I have several questions.

Today My Aerostar would not start I still had battery juice and it didn't even try to crank. My brother told me to touch metal to the starter while cranking well I put metal on the alternator instead it started right up. 1. Could touching metal to top of alternator cause problems?
Also, my lights have been blinking for months in the overhead light while idling not on and off but dimming a little. My air bag light is always flashing in the last two weeks and the air bag chime stopped making noises year or two ago. 2. Does anyone know where the airbag chime is located to be replaced?
Or if it has its own fuse could it be that?
My Aerostar did crank up on its own without touching anything metal to the alternator or starter after I got home today so it seems something is not working sometimes.
3. Could it be starter going bad or alternator?
The battery terminals are pretty worn out themselves.
4. Also a month or two ago me and brother replaced waterpump and one of the pulleys seem to have bearings going bad in it could this be causing problems?
Before the water pump problem the Van would stall sometimes and would have to give it gas and turn key over and over which could of wore out starter. But again after I got home today it cranked right up with ease.
Also I see that a failing ignition switch could cause some of these problems also
Did you check the ground wire ? Clean your terminals. Make sure tight. Replace the belt idelers , tensioner. RockAuto. If the size of the iderers- diameter list 2 different 1 a bit smaller, and 2 just a bit larger . I recommend just get 1 of each. It worked for me.

Back