My 1995 Ranger with a 4.0L starts & stalls with a rough idle when it's cold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1995 Ranger with a 4.0L starts & stalls with a rough idle when it's cold.

Ryan11383

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Ranger 4.0
I have a 1995 Ford Ranger. Since it has gotten cold when I go to start it after a long cold soak it will run great untill the idle comes down then it will idle rough and stall out. But once its warm it will run fine. The other thing I have noticed is when it dies my clock on my radio and the station will reset as if the battery was pulled.

Here is a list of what has been done.

Fuel Filter
IAC
New plugs/wires
MAF was cleaned
EGR replaced
I ran injector cleaner threw it

You probably need the upper intake/fuel rail gaskets.

rough Idle/Stall.

I have two codes, one is for the EGR and the other code is a left side Lean code. I no its kinda hill billy but I have capped off the EGR. I put a plate between the EGR flange and tube to the intake. I have just done this because I didnt no if a EGR would fix the issue. I was right it didnt it still acts the same way. Truck will idle fine when rpms are up when its a cold start. Then when the rpms start to drop it will start to run rough and die. After its warm it will sit and idle fine for a min or so then it will start to idle rough and my idle rpm will rise and fall, then it will run rough and die.

I think im going to replace the upper intake. Its only 20 dollars and its not a bad job. So wish me luck and hope it goes well...

Back