My 1997 Aerostar is misfiring after new plugs & wires. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1997 Aerostar is misfiring after new plugs & wires.

Sohler5

Reaction score
City, State
Astoria, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford aerostar
I have just purchased a 1997 Ford Aerostar XLT with a 4.0 L V6, it is having a slight idling problem but not a bad one so I decided to replace the spark plugs and wires. I bought NGK plugs and Napa premium wires. After replacing them my van started to misfire and run terrible; I checked the firing order and all my connections to make sure they were good and it was all was OK. my next step is to get a coil pack and try replacing that. Any other tips? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was moved into the Aerostar section. Are you getting any codes which look like this: P03XX? Maybe one of the plugs is not gapped correctly or an ignition wire could be defective. Check to see if a vacuum line got unplugged or cracked.

I have just purchased a 1997 Ford Aerostar XLT with a 4.0 L V6, it is having a slight idling problem but not a bad one so I decided to replace the spark plugs and wires. I bought NGK plugs and Napa premium wires. After replacing them my van started to misfire and run terrible; I checked the firing order and all my connections to make sure they were good and it was all was OK. my next step is to get a coil pack and try replacing that. Any other tips? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Doublecheck your wiring to make SURE you got the right wires to the right cylinders. Then like Brooklyn said,if the coil pack doesn't solve it,look for a plug you might've cracked while installing or anything else you can see. Did you remove the passenger side wheel when you did this? I always do. don-ohio :)^)

Back