Jeff213

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mounty 5.0 4x4
Callsign
KM6BVN
I finally feel like I have a modified explorer. I have been doing small mods since I got it but now its a 4x4 for real.

I finished my 4406 swap today in my driveway. I took a lot longer than you guys take, took me 2 8 hour days start to finish but now its done. I have a mustang trans mount also, cut and welded a plate onto the cross member. a front hitch I made, and I made a heavy duty winch mount out of scrap metal.

I have torsion keys in the front, but they arent cranked yet. I have an AAL and warrior shackles as well as coilover shocks in the rear (factory air ride is deleted)

I made the roof rack as well, it was the first thing I ever welded with a stick welder. My stick welding skills have gotten way better, I did a quick welding class through my electrical apprenticeship and can actually make decent welds now.

I replaced the fog lights with LED light bars.

I need to replace the ball joints, they are still good but the boots are cracking so they are going to go out soon. I am also going to get a rear lunchbox locker for it and I am going to get bigger tires soon. I am going to make a swing down spare tire mount and weld it to the rear bumper.

I am going to turn the factory air ride switch into an abs enable/disable switch.
I also still need to make the light bars (wired to fog lights) work when the headlights arent on and when the engine isn't running.

I am going to put an isolater on the front hitch and run a positive wire to it so I can take my winch off and on and hook the wires up right next to the winch so I don't have to rewire it to take it on and off.

I am also wanting to add a second battery in the back where the spare tire used to be and add a storage compartment as well under the floor for my winch accessories and a small tool box.

I am thinking of also making some kind of U duct to shoot the cold air from the rear ac back up towards the front of the cab since I hardly ever have anyone sitting in the back.

20160514_183411.jpg

20160514_183800.jpg

20160514_183430.jpg

20160514_183421.jpg

Looking good!

So that winch. I'm guessing it's mounted into a receiver. That's good for straight pulls but too much of an angle during a side pull could really screw up the receiver and possibly rip it off.

I welded a plate between my frame rails to mount my winch.
C751E534-5898-4557-9878-F59195EE16CA.jpg

BCDFA383-7118-419C-8BE3-8A79DD36FE51.jpg

6D00346C-57AB-4C99-8D5A-6A9DB0ED7C64.jpg

Back