My 1998 explorer, ideas welcome (pictures) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1998 explorer, ideas welcome (pictures)

persampiere

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a while.
Here are pictures of my 1998 Explorer XLT. I love the thing and it's never given me any trouble, I bought it about a year ago.

However, I recently ran into some money and I'd like to make it a little nicer. Keep in mind that it isn't a ton of money, but I'd like some of your ideas on what to do to it. All I've done so far to it is install a billet grille on the front and install my two 10 inch Kenwood subwoofers & a 1500 watt amp, but I'd like to spruce it up some more. All ideas are welcome.

PART_1357418723220_zps4b5ec647.jpg

PART_1357418693641_zps62dd1437.jpg

PART_1357418660693_zps29b687ce.jpg

IMAG0615_zpsd6036630.jpg

IMAG0455_zps200cc1f2.jpg

IMAG0456_zps12e85248.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without dipping into wheels tires and suspension, id say a nice bug deflector, a good sub box, rid of the seat covers and or add new seats if needed, take cross bars off roof rack, erase the pinstriping. With all that id say your set! All for cheap and make it stand out a little more. Also could try these amber eliminated tails http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2001-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item46052b5154&vxp=mtr

That looks SICK! I'm not too good with electric work, but I'll definitely see what I can do. i was planning on re-doing the lights on radio/controls area anyway, because my temperature and fan setting lights have stopped lighting up all together, not sure why.

Without dipping into wheels tires and suspension, id say a nice bug deflector, a good sub box, rid of the seat covers and or add new seats if needed, take cross bars off roof rack, erase the pinstriping. With all that id say your set! All for cheap and make it stand out a little more

The pinstriping is under the overcoat of the paint, but infront of the paint (obviously). I thought this would make it really difficult to remove.

I'll remove the crossbars from the roof rack, seeing as I don't use the rack anyway! & just curious, why would i get rid of the seat covers? The seats are in pristine condition, but I just don't like the color. Maybe new seats then, I suppose.

I'll remove the crossbars from the roof rack, seeing as I don't use the rack anyway! & just curious, why would i get rid of the seat covers? The seats are in pristine condition, but I just don't like the color. Maybe new seats then, I suppose.

Seat covers always make it look like your hiding something! If they are perfect they will still be able to be worn with seat covers on but protects from dirt, as i can tell the trucks VERY clean so im sure you are as well, no harm in taking them off.

Definatly look into a bug deflector, matched with the rain gaurds they look great, hell i put bug deflector and rain gaurd on all 3 of my ex's first day i boughtem. And definatly look into a good sub box or have one built, you will unleash alot more output then that pep girls box ever could

I would be thinking about rebuilding the engine...

Seat covers always make it look like your hiding something! If they are perfect they will still be able to be worn with seat covers on but protects from dirt, as i can tell the trucks VERY clean so im sure you are as well, no harm in taking them off.

Definatly look into a bug deflector, matched with the rain gaurds they look great, hell i put bug deflector and rain gaurd on all 3 of my ex's first day i boughtem. And definatly look into a good sub box or have one built, you will unleash alot more output then that pep girls box ever could

Alright, bug deflector is my next purchase, then! & I never thought about it like that with the seat covers. I've got nothing to hide underneath them, except an ugly color :)

Maybe stick a ford emblem somewhere offset in the billet? Maybe lower drivers or passenger

Maybe stick a ford emblem somewhere offset in the billet? Maybe lower drivers or passenger

I have the ford emblem from the grille that I took off. Maybe I'll stick that on there somewhere. Thanks for the idea!

No problem glad to helpl! Hell most of what i mentioned cost no money :D

smoke out tail lights

Hmm your x looks almost grey in the pictures, I think it would go nicely with the black tint. I like the looks of tail lights when they are partially smoked as opposed to full black

Don't tint your lights... They are there so you can see at night and so others can see you, why reduce the amount of light you get from them? Besides, it is not technically legal, so if cop wants to, they can get you for it.

Hmm your x looks almost grey in the pictures, I think it would go nicely with the black tint. I like the looks of tail lights when they are partially smoked as opposed to full black

eh, it's a veeeeeeeery light green. It looks grey in the right light, I guess.

did you look at the link for the lights i posted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to each his own but i can say that is terrible by my eyes. It may look good by you and others but i would never install them. Do as you please as i was only giving my opinion as to what looks best

Back