My 2000 Explorer 4 door XLT | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2000 Explorer 4 door XLT

Today 05-15-2021, I replaced the AC manifold hose assembly that comes off the compressor and goes to both the Low and High sides.
The old one was leaking. I paid 58.61 after taxes and ordered it through eBay.
After installation I put a vacuum on the system, checked for leaks, and filled it up. Blows nice and cold again, hope it lasts through the summer.
I have not been driving it much, only about one day a week for now.

IMG_9665.JPG

The current mileage is

IMG_9664.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now you have to do the shift indicator adjustment at thumbscrew...so it's lined up perfectly..
And 221K on an OHV...it's just a teenager...

MONK.jpg

I already adjusted that, it does line up correctly but there is play in the shifter parts. If I moved the handle to the left it will line up with the P just fine.

I had to replace the square rubber bushing on the end of the shift lever to take out the slop
It got to the point where it wouldn't start or go in park

Ditto, those several shift linkage parts are really important, and they are very worn in most 2nd gen Explorers now. I replaced them in my 99 when I got it, and bought another set of the main parts again for my black 98. It's time to do those in all of these trucks. it takes about $60 for the main four items, and a couple hours to R&R the column as I recall.

Do either of you have any pictures of the parts, and part numbers? I may want to replace them soon.

I have the two main OEM parts laying on my 99's engine bay, I'm not sure where the bushings are though. I can get those part numbers a little later. I bought them from Amazon or eBay, they were common there a few years ago.

I was lucky enough to find used step bars on EBay. I am so happy that I will be able to use this vehicle to pick my sister up and take her out to lunch/dinner in the future when the Corona virus is under control. She will be able to use them to get up into my truck.
They came from Arkansas, and they are in good shape except for some fading. Maybe next summer I might paint them.

Before
View attachment 325245

After
View attachment 325246

Before
View attachment 325247

After
View attachment 325248
I'd love to have step bars like that. But there aren't any on my stock 98 XLT 4door 4x4. Wonder what mods are needed to put some on there.

4pointslow, I just read through most of your build thread, that is a lot of work you did to that Explorer. I saw the Explorer you are working on had rusted step bars, which every one here in NJ I have seen has. We purchased a 99 Sport for my wife that came from southeastern Pa & you guessed it they were rotted out. I found a set of step bars from a regular cab Ranger that I put on her Sport. I had to move the rear step bar mount & since I was fixing the rocker panels is was no big deal to make new mounts for it.

Do either of you have any pictures of the parts, and part numbers? I may want to replace them soon.
Okay, I found the two main parts I think are the major weak links, the main shifting tube, and the shaft inside of that. The big one is F57Z-7212-A, and the other one is F7DZ-7R264-AA, called a Plunger.

I also replaced the two bushings at each end, which @donalds posted already; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C39RR2Y/?tag=serious-20.

I just bought another set of those parts, for my other truck. At Tasca they were $62.20 plus shipping;

1. Shift Tube
    $36.08
    Part # F57Z-7212-A
  2. Shift Lever Shaft
    $23.08
    Part # F7DZ-7361-A
  3. Shift Tube Bushing
    $3.04
    Part # F3TZ-7L278-A
Subtotal
$62.20
Shipping
$12.34
Total
$74.54

4pointslow, I just read through most of your build thread, that is a lot of work you did to that Explorer. I saw the Explorer you are working on had rusted step bars, which every one here in NJ I have seen has. We purchased a 99 Sport for my wife that came from southeastern Pa & you guessed it they were rotted out. I found a set of step bars from a regular cab Ranger that I put on her Sport. I had to move the rear step bar mount & since I was fixing the rocker panels is was no big deal to make new mounts for it.
Your wife's Explorer and your Ranger look awesome, nice rides!

I'd love to have step bars like that. But there aren't any on my stock 98 XLT 4door 4x4. Wonder what mods are needed to put some on there.
The bolts holes are probably already there, you might just need the hardware (bolts and those metal things with threaded holes that I cant remember the names of) and of course non-rusted step bars.

I just bought another set of those parts, for my other truck. At Tasca they were $62.20 plus shipping;

1. Shift Tube
    $36.08
    Part # F57Z-7212-A
  2. Shift Lever Shaft
    $23.08
    Part # F7DZ-7361-A
  3. Shift Tube Bushing
    $3.04
    Part # F3TZ-7L278-A
Subtotal
$62.20
Shipping
$12.34
Total
$74.54
Thanks, I will order these tubes this weekend hopefully!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did those on my Grand Marquis. Eventually the car won't start unless you do a dance and you can even select neutral or the 2nd position. Eventually the shift tube can torque and break.

Thanks for posting this link, watching it now. Its funny how my old 98 4 door with 315,000 miles never needed any work to the shift assembly but this 2,000 with only 220,000 does. LOL

Back