My 2000 Explorer vibrates upon acceleration. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2000 Explorer vibrates upon acceleration.

bigchiefjeff

Reaction score
City, State
des moines IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
need help.
My 2000 ford explorer 4.0L SOHC vibrates upon acceleration.
It started to vibrate at 40-50MPH but now it starts at around 25MPH,
I have changed the pulgs and wires and fuel filter. it seems to have gotten worse. The vibration is in the whole vehicle including the steering wheel. but the back window shakes as well. it is worse when going up hill or when acceleration. when I let off the gas even on the highway at 65 MPH, it stops vibrating then starts again when i hit the accelerator.
When in nutrual, i press the accelerator and the engine rins smooth. it is only while moving that the vibration occurs.

Any Ideas?
My first thought was U joint. not sure how to check this though. any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

upper and lower ball joints? check the tire pressure??

I am having the same problem. Except mine does it pretty much all the time now. I spoke to my mechanic who is a explorer guy and he said it's the u joint. Be sure to replace both not just the junk one. Only replacing one will cause the old u joint to trash the new one fairly quickly.

I am having the same problem. Except mine does it pretty much all the time now. I spoke to my mechanic who is a explorer guy and he said it's the u joint. Be sure to replace both not just the junk one. Only replacing one will cause the old u joint to trash the new one fairly quickly.

I have the same problem also and my mechanic also said it was the u-joint.

Well looks like if it's nice out tomorrow i'm doing the u-joint's!! Fun Fun Fun!!!

Back