• Register Today It's free!

My 2002 Explorer xls won't start.

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xls
Hi,

My name is Merlin, I joined because I need some expert advice. I have a 2002 Explorer xls, I just replaced the front main seal, harmonic balancer, crank sensor, waterpump, hoses and thermostat upper/lower housing and all the "trimmings". I had the battery disconnected the entire time I worked on this project and made sure everything was done to the "T". I refilled the coolant and went to start the motor but the damn thing just turns over and wont start. The harmonic balancer is the newer design, is this something I am going to have to program?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Guys,

I have a 2002 Explorer xls, I love the thing it has served me very well for years. I had a minor front main oil seal leak for years and recently had a coolant leak. 180,000mi and to only have that issue is not bad, I decided this weekend to replace the front seal, harmonic balancer, crank sensor, water pump, upper and lower thermostat housing w/ all the trimmings and hoses. I followed everything to the "T", I had the battery disconnected the entire time. When it came time to start it the damn thing would turn over but not run??! Is this a programming issue?

Thanks,

Merlin

Yes sir, the starter engages and I do see the theft light.

I may put the old Crank sensor back on to see if the new one is not sending a signal.

Thanks

Welcome to this forum! Does the starter engage? You might have a spinning starter without the engine turning. Do you see a flashing theft light?

Do you think the security "Theft" system is preventing it from starting?

Both of your threads were merged together. Do you hear the fuel pump prime everytime the engine turns over? Do you see a check engine light when you turn the key?
Thanks for cleaning up my post!

Yes, the fuel pump does engage. It is hard to determine if there is a engine light when trying to start it up. The harmonic balancer is the newer design I don't know if the pcm needs to be recalibrated for it.

Thanks.

I do need to get my hands on one, I plan on talking with the guys at work to see if they have one. I am a electronics tech by trade not a mechanic, so my automotive tools are limited.

Scanners have more functions compared to code readers. Cheap readers aren't capable of reading manufacturer specific codes. I know that Autozone has a tool loaning program, but I'm not sure if they loan scanners.

Follow up,

I took a half day today and put the old crank sensor on and behold it fired up!! Once the vehicle reached operating temperature the idle started to bog and studder then she died??

I disconnected the battery again to reset the pcm and let it cool down, started back up and once it reached operating temperature she stalled out again...

I think it's time to put the old balancer back on.

Back