My 2004 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2004 Explorer

White letters

Yea, I always liked raised white, and outlined white letters on the sidewalls. They kind of fill in where something seems missing in appearance.

There is still one thing bothering me about the side photo. The frame just hangs down under the truck. Doesn't look quite right to me. I almost think that a black factory running board might cover that up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slow Progress

So I tried to change the tire size programmed in my explorer with the old WDS scan tool. It will not work unless I reinstalled the software and make it think it is 2006 again. Can't find disks, put them in a box and stored them away for safe keeping. Must be in the basement somewhere. lol

So I programmed the explorer at work with the new VCM2 and an up to date IDS/PC. The tire revs I got off the internet would not work, the IDS would not let me use that number because it was too low. The lowest it would let me go was 687 so that is what I used. The tire size goes into the PCM on this truck.
The IDS also found two updates to the PCM, one was for an Idle problem that was fixed by raising the commanded rpm's in the tune. I forget what the other one was for.

After reflashing the PCM, the speedometer matches with the GPS and a radar thing on the side of the road (at 65 mph). May not be perfect, but it is real close.

Then I tried to use the old WDS at home again to program some spare keys. Now it would not recognize the PCM strategy which rendered the WDS useless with the truck. Finally I found all the information I needed to get it to recognize the truck. I had to enter these numbers into the WDS.......
1. Part number = 4L2A-12A650-ACC
2.Catchword/Tear Tag = CGM2
3. Calibration/strategy = PWAQ2GB

After all that I found the keys to be defective, I now have 4 keys from eBay that the chips in them do not work. I bought a key locally from a lock smith and was able to program that to my truck so I know that the WDS and the programming methods work, just not these eBay keys.

Next up, install license plate bracket for front of truck. That worked out just fine, no problems.

Then it was time to change the transmission filter in the used trans I got in this truck now. I wanted to see how things looked inside the pan too. I started loosening the pan bolts after draining the fluid through the drain plug. They were real tight, apparently someone did not use a torque wrench. They were breaking loose with a "crack" until I got to one that just broke. I tightened the others back up and called it a day. Put fluid back in and will leave it alone until I finish rebuilding the transmission that came out. Most of the parts are ordered(trans rebuild kit,bonded pisotns, etc), I already have the trans fluid, pump, and torque converter. Still need to order the solenoid pack. I am waiting to take the servos apart to see if they already have brass bushings in them or not.

Vacuum leak

While I am thinking about it, I have a lean condition on bank2 which is the drivers side.
LTFT is around 17-18 at Idle
LTFT is around 10-11 at 1,500 rpm's.

If fuel trims are high at Idle and not as bad at higher rpm's, it indicates a vacuum leak.

I smoke tested the intake and found no smoke coming out anywhere, however you can not see under the intake very well.
I sprayed carb cleaner around and saw no change in rpm, however you can not get the spray under the intake very well.

Both front O2 sensors are new and can reach .9
There are no exhaust leaks.
I have replaced the intake O-rings with Felpro ones.
I did a fuel injector flow test and relative compression test with the IDS, no problems found.
Spark plugs and wires are new, I checked all the gaps and reinstalled them when I first got the truck.

I am suspicious of the seem in the plastic intake, but no smoke was seen.

When I have time I will try to diagnose further to see what it is.

5R55S Part Prices

Here is the list of parts with the prices for my 5R55S rebuild. I got these all off eBay.

Note: The list may not be complete, and prices will vary. I choose some things because I think they are quality, and some things because they are priced less, and some things because of who the seller is or how far they will be shipped.
You may or may not agree with the parts or prices, this is just a list so I remember what I paid.

1. Solenoid pack 182.00
2. Reman Valve Body 212.90
3. Bonded Low Reverse Servo 19.95
4. Bonded Forward Clutch Piston 33.43
5. Rebuild Kit with Raybestos clutches, bands 324.85
6. Reman torque Converter 134.68
7. Reman Pump 115.00
8. Fluid 13 quarts 56.00 (Castrol Mercon V on sale at Advance auto 2 for $8.00 plus tax).

Total so far = 1078.81

Rear Brakes

Today I spent most of the day tuning my supercharged Explorer.
After finishing that I put rear brakes and rotors on my 2004.
There was a pulsation and it felt like the rear, no steering wheel shimmy.
I already replaced the front brakes and rotors.
New rear pads and rotors took care of that pulsation, it is gone. Stops nice and smooth like it should now.
Got the stuff from PepBoys, they had a 25% off internet coupon. I am not positive but I think they jack the price up and then give you the discount afterwards.
Pads: PGD881C = $28.49 (reg 37.99)
Rotor: 54098HC = $39.74 (reg 52.99) X2 since there is two rotors.
Parts Price = 107.97
Uncle Sam = 7.56
Total = 115.53
DSC04060.jpg
DSC04066.jpg

Today I spent most of the day tuning my supercharged Explorer.
After finishing that I put rear brakes and rotors on my 2004.
There was a pulsation and it felt like the rear, no steering wheel shimmy.
I already replaced the front brakes and rotors.
New rear pads and rotors took care of that pulsation, it is gone. Stops nice and smooth like it should now.
Got the stuff from PepBoys, they had a 25% off internet coupon. I am not positive but I think they jack the price up and then give you the discount afterwards.
Pads: PGD881C = $28.49 (reg 37.99)
Rotor: 54098HC = $39.74 (reg 52.99) X2 since there is two rotors.
Parts Price = 107.97
Uncle Sam = 7.56
Total = 115.53
Are you thinking about going big brakes for the front ?

Big Brakes

Not now since I already did them. Maybe the next time they are needed I will switch to the aviator knuckles etc.

Did you ever create your build thread?

Timing Chain Guide

Today I decided to do a little investigating on the engine of this truck.
I have a lean condition on one bank so I decided to remove the intake again and see if the o rings that I just installed were still in place. They were, I looked over the intake manifold at the seams but couldn't see anything wrong there either. Decided to pull the injectors out and swap them from side to side just for the hell of it.
Once the injectors were off, I had no excuse for not removing the valve covers and inspecting the timing chain guides. I had heard a noise at start up, funny how the noise went away as it warmed up. Found the timing chain guide on the passenger side rear of the engine to be all busted up.

So I started pulling the transmission to gain access to the rear bolt for the timing chain guide. I have not even started to rebuild the original transmission yet. Planning on doing that at the beginning of May. LOL. Guess I will be pretty fast at pulling the transmission out after all these times.

I am amazed how clean the engine is inside.
DSC04108.jpg
DSC04112.jpg

so not to sound like a jerk or anything, but did you know it needed all this stuff when you bought it, or is this just like pealing a onion. take one layer off, and discover something else.

Broken Truck

LOL,
I knew about most of it.
The body is rust free, that's what I wanted. I can fix the other stuff.
I hope to have the chain guide done next weekend.

I definitely wasn't expecting to find all the loose and missing parts I came across.

Fuel Injectors

While I had the injectors out I wrote down the numbers off one.
0280 158 056
5-13-11-04 -074950
5L2E-DIA

Knowing that this is a 2005 engine, I am guessing that these are 2005 injectors.
Who ever installed this engine left everything loose so why would I think they would change the injectors.
Looking on the internet it seems they changed from 2004 to 2005 so I may have to find some for 04. One more thing to put on the junkyard list.

Hey I can send you some if you can wait
I have about 12 of them not and won't be using
While I had the injectors out I wrote down the numbers off one.
0280 158 056
5-13-11-04 -074950
5L2E-DIA

Knowing that this is a 2005 engine, I am guessing that these are 2005 injectors.
Who ever installed this engine left everything loose so why would I think they would change the injectors.
Looking on the internet it seems they changed from 2004 to 2005 so I may have to find some for 04. One more thing to put on the junkyard list.

Fuel injectors

Thanks for the offer.
I am not going to worry about the injectors right now, got to get that timing guide fixed first. Then I will see how it runs.

I want to find out more about the injectors, specifically how much they flow. It may be that they flow the same and are just different in body design.

Did you put bigger injectors on your Explorer?
Are the old ones white?
Have any pictures of them?

Thanks for the offer.
I am not going to worry about the injectors right now, got to get that timing guide fixed first. Then I will see how it runs.

I want to find out more about the injectors, specifically how much they flow. It may be that they flow the same and are just different in body design.

Are the old ones white?
Yes now I have in the ford racing cobra 39 injectors
and yes the old ones are white

Thanks for the offer.

Are the old ones white?

here is the photo

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 283
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 280

Injectors

Thanks for posting that picture,
here is a picture of what mine look like except the plastic thing near the top is white not green. It would be interesting to see if the specs are different.

Attachments

• 2005 explorer inj1.jpg
    2005 explorer inj1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 282

Timing Guide almost done

Almost finished replacing the timing chain guide that was shattered.
There were pieces everywhere like I expected.
Pulled the transmission again to get to the bolt that is below the bellhousing.
I am getting faster at pulling the transmission, cant wait to start rebuilding the original trans that came out. Not starting that till May though so I put the used trans back in.

When the trans was out, the lower oil pan was real easy to get out. It may be just as easy with the trans in, I will have to take another look at that.

There were all the other pieces of that guide, in the pan and in the pick up screen. Good stuff!

The truck is off the jack stands, only top engine stuff to do like install the fuel rail, injectors, and intake manifold.
DSC04120.jpg
DSC04126.jpg
DSC04131.jpg

Up and running

It is up and running again, finished yesterday.
Even had time to install an amp under one of the rear seats.
Now if it gets noisy again I can just turn up the radio. lol.
DSC04248.jpg
DSC04281.jpg

Transmission rebuild has started

Got a good start on rebuilding the original transmission out of my 2004.
Got lots of parts, and some new tools too.
Two tools that have made tear down much easier are the pump puller, and the servo cover depressor.
Man that pump was holding on for dear life, slide hammer attached to the pump puller and after a few good bangs it came off.
DSC04149.jpg
DSC04153.jpg
DSC04169.jpg
DSC04170.jpg
DSC04171.jpg
DSC04181.jpg
DSC04186.jpg
DSC04189.jpg
DSC04195.jpg
DSC04201.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

soak time

New clutches are soaking overnight.
One thing I thought was cool was how when the transfer case was removed, there was no fluid in between the transmission and transfercase. There is a plate with a rear seal that goes on the back of the trans.
DSC04204.jpg
DSC04140.jpg
DSC04141.jpg
DSC04145.jpg

Back