My 2004 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2004 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am letting the cat out of the bag now. lol.
RPCaster has been working on a new plate for his supercharger manifold.
This will allow someone to use a 03-04 Cobra supercharger on one of his custom lower intake manifolds for the 4.0 sohc. There is also a new intercooler design that will fit into the manifold so it will be liquid intercooled!

I plan on installing this set up on my 2004, It needs a little more passing power anyway.

saw that come'n

Front Upper Balljoints

Today I did the front upper ball joints. No control arms, just BJ's.
I got moog ones a while back and finally felt like putting them in.
Pressed them in with the Harbor Freight hydraulic press I bought when doing my 4.88 gears in my other truck. Worst part about the job was the rusty studs on the upper control arm, PB blaster to the rescue.
DSC04285.jpg
DSC04289.jpg

Compression testing

I did a compression test of all the cylinders today to see where they were all at.
Started with cyl 6 so I posted the video below of that cylinder, the rest were very similar. About 175psi with approximately 5 compression strokes.
Pictures
1. Crank sensor unplugged
2. Remote starter button
3. Start terminal on starter with remote starter attached
4. Throttle plate held open with vise grips (lol)
DSC04340.jpg
DSC04359.jpg
DSC04360.jpg
DSC04357.jpg

At least you seem to be starting with a good solid motor. The previous mechanic on your new truck didn't need to work on it. Your a lucky man.

At least you seem to be starting with a good solid motor. The previous mechanic on your new truck didn't need to work on it. Your a lucky man.

LOL, Now that is funny!

EGO overtemp

I thought my fuel pump duty cycle and commanded A/F ratio (as seen by stft at WOT) was due to catalyst overtemperature protection.
I was wrong, it was EGO overtemp protection.

But why is this happening on a stock vehicle, and why is load hitting 96%?
A typical 2 valve per cylinder engine only reaches 85% volumetric efficiency(load), not 96.

I did get the right fuel injectors in it, the wrong ones were from the 2005 engine that was put in. I wonder if something else is from the wrong year?
Maf housing? I don't know. Something to ponder I guess.
EGO overtemp.jpg

Worst Mechanic

You made me remember the worst thing I ever saw when I was working at Goodyear. A customer had a "backyard mechanic" install a 2.8L engine in a S10 blazer. Having owned a 1988 s10 with the same 2.8L, I must say it was not a mechanic friendly vehicle to work on.

Anyway, the guy put a used engine in, he failed to realize that the used engine had been from a manual trans and had a pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft. Well he managed to get the transmission bolted up anyway.
Broke the bellhousing (case), and flexplate. I had to put a used transmission in it and a flex plate.

But wait, there is more. He broke the crankshaft damper bolt in the crankshaft, I was thankful it was soft metal because I had to drill it out and use an easy out to get the broken piece out.

Then there was the valve covers, he had them on wrong. The left was on the right and the right was on the left. You could not hook up the PCV hoses because of that, I had to swap them back to the right places.

There were other little things like a missing fuel filter bracket that bolted to the engine. Amazing, some people should not work on vehicles.

why cant the engine load go from 0 to 100 % ? There is a big difference between efficiency and load. A 50% efficient boiler under full load will utilize 50% of the burner input...

Also, is that 1,700+ * F ? ?

load

I don't know anything about boilers.

Supposedly,
Volumetric efficiency or engine load is calculated by the PCM using the MAF sensor. If you have a 4.0 Liter engine and you get 4.0 liters of air in it, then it would be 100% volumetric efficiency.

What I noticed was just something different between my stock 1998 and my stock 2004. Both have same 4.0L SOHC engine.

Yes 1700 *F

1700 degree's ambient?

displacement?

. . . Supposedly, Volumetric efficiency or engine load is calculated by the PCM using the MAF sensor. If you have a 4.0 Liter engine and you get 4.0 liters of air in it, then it would be 100% volumetric efficiency.

What I noticed was just something different between my stock 1998 and my stock 2004. Both have same 4.0L SOHC engine. . .

Ford may have changed the engine displacement value in the tune to increase the load to adjust for the increased weight or different axle ratio.

SCT Advantage 3

Ford may have changed the engine displacement value in the tune to increase the load to adjust for the increased weight or different axle ratio.

I just got access to the tune for my 2004, Awesome!
First thing I did was load the 93 Octane tune value file and look at it compared to stock tune. Then I did an 87 Octane tune next.

Third thing, check engine displacement - both are .00178

I have flat spots on acceleration, there is a difference from bank 1 to bank 2 with stft's, and fuel trims are adding fuel.(when not at WOT)

I have ruled out the intake manifold, egr valve, and throttle body. Got used ones off eBay for 65.00
Swapped the correct injectors in, made it better but still have some issues.
The MAF sensor itself is the same part number for 2004 to 2005. (this is a 2005 engine someone put in).

Here is my 2004(first pic) compared to my 1998 4 door. I believe the step in the 1998 datalog has to do with the intake manifold tuning valve.
2 engine load 2004.jpg
1998 Load.jpg

11541_pump_complete[1].jpg
Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11541

I ordered an Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11541.

One of the reasons I choose this model is the electrical connector, I am hoping it plugs right in to the sending unit connector.
The pump is a turbine style(vs. gerotor) which is needed for pulse width type electronic returnless fuel systems.

My concerns are the amperage used to run it and that it may be too much pump for my application.

That's the same pump I'm using.
I didn't do any wiring upgrades. I think I had to solder in a connector though.
There have been no issues with the pump. Id say it was a good choice.

Wideband O2 sensor

I started installing an Innovate Motorsports LC2 wideband kit last Sunday.
Mounted the controller behind the knee bolster, firewire cable(for datalogging) under the center console.
The gauge is on top of the steering column for now, when I am sitting in the truck I can see the full range of the speedometer from 10 to 120 mph around the outside of the gauge. The picture doesn't show this very well. I may move it if it turns out to be too bright.
I had the bung welded on the exhaust this week. It ended up close to the 9 o'clock position, may be more like 8:30. Wideband sensors should be from 9 to 3 to prevent moisture from settling in the sensor and flash boiling when the heater comes on ruining the sensor. We will see if it holds up in it current position. There was really no room to install it anywhere else with the pipe still in the vehicle. I will get a picture of that this weekend if all goes well.
1DSC04370.jpg
2DSC04376.jpg
DSC04373.jpg
DSC04378.jpg
DSC04379.jpg

Wideband finished

Finished the wideband tonight.
Put the firewire cable in the center console storage area with an OBD extension cable. X4 can go in there for datalogging and be out of sight.

Ran the cable through the firewall where the vacuum lines for the heater/air conditioner go. Drilled a hole and put a grommet in it. Still need to add a little RTV to the grommet.

Zip tied the sensor connector to the right front wheel well, water will probably get in there and ruin the thing eventually, we will see.
Sensor is on bank 1 (passenger side).
DSC04385.jpg
DSC04392.jpg
DSC04398.jpg
DSC04404.jpg
DSC04412.jpg
DSC04431.jpg

Front Timing chain guides

Today I started the tear down to do the front timing chain guides. I already did the rear one because it shattered, that one requires pulling the transmission to get to the lower bolt.

During some parts removal, I found yet another missing bolt. It was for the AC/Power steering pump bracket to cylinder head. See first pic below.

In the second picture you can see the counter balance shaft tensioner broken. I was surprised there wasn't more broken plastic stuff in there. Plastic should not be used inside engines, who came up with this idea anyway?

Tomorrow I pull the valve covers, followers, and get to replacing those plastic things with OEM Ford stuff.
DSC04444.jpg
DSC04450.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timing Chain Guides

Today I replaced the counter balance shaft chain, tensioner, and guide.
Then the jackshaft tensioner and guide, and finally the drivers front camshaft chain guide.
Got the timing cover, water pump, and valve covers back on.
Came down with a cold, taking it easy tonight.
DSC04455.jpg
DSC04468.jpg
DSC04470.jpg
DSC04475.jpg

Back