My 2011 Explorer Order Cancelled By Ford Because of 2012 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2011 Explorer Order Cancelled By Ford Because of 2012

JStellato

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
:mad:

Well I ordered my 2011 LTD Explorer all decked out, about one month ago, and just got notified today that my order was cancelled. They said there was no more plant capacity for model year 2011 build out.

How depressing, they offered to get me a model close to what I ordered, but was missing some key features, like airbags in the seatbelts, etc.

I know this means the 2012's are on there way, so I'll have to wait, longer. Anyone have an idea of when we will be able to place orders for 2012's?

:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I found an interesting post over at blueovalforums.com from a user named ice-capades who claimed to be a ford dealer advertising manager.

He claimed:
"Ford is in the process of scheduling the final 2011 Explorer orders now with the cut off date for fleet orders being 04/22/2011. The 2012 Explorer Order Bank was scheduled to open on 05/08/2011 but the 2012 Explorer Order Guide has not yet been released to Dealers. 2012 Explorer scheduling is set to start on 06/16/2011 with a Job #1 Date being 07/18/2011."

I got it from an internet forum so take it for what its worth, but I thought it was interesting news.

;)

You can place your 2012 order starting 5/25.

:mad:

Well I ordered my 2011 LTD Explorer all decked out, about one month ago, and just got notified today that my order was cancelled. They said there was no more plant capacity for model year 2011 build out.

How depressing, they offered to get me a model close to what I ordered, but was missing some key features, like airbags in the seatbelts, etc.

I know this means the 2012's are on there way, so I'll have to wait, longer. Anyone have an idea of when we will be able to place orders for 2012's?

:(

If they cancel mine I wont buy a Ford, Acura MDX here I come! I will learn to like the dash layout. ;)

Why would they cancel orders taken a month ago?

Craig over on FB was saying they will start taking orders for 2012 on May 18th...so I would assume anything ordered before that(especially a month ago) would be built.

Why did they cancel a one month ago order, that's a good question. I have the ford order pdf emailed to me as well so it's not like the Dealership made it up.

Ugh, I hope I can order starting 5/25, at least then I'd have the satisfaction of knowing it was ordered.

Why did they cancel a one month ago order, that's a good question. I have the ford order pdf emailed to me as well so it's not like the Dealership made it up.

Ugh, I hope I can order starting 5/25, at least then I'd have the satisfaction of knowing it was ordered.

Yeah, you would think that they would shut down the order bank earlier than that to prevent this kind of thing.

Also, if the 2012 MY is available for order so soon.... why not give the customer the opportunity to convert their 2011 order to the new 2012 MY instead of just cancelling it. Yes, they will probably have to wait longer, but many would wait. Any option differences between '11 and '12 MY could be worked out between Ford and the customer.

My concern with waiting for the 2012 was the price. I'm guessing the MSRP is going to go up considering the positive response the car has had. My guess is the only new option is the 4 cylinder engine (which I'm not interested in anyway).

For people like JStellato they should convert the 2011 order to a 2012 order (why turn down customers?) and honor the 2011 MSRP and incentives as of the time of order.

Edit: JStellato - you should try and work with your dealer if you do the MY 2012- try and get the same deal you were getting with the 2011 - maybe an even better deal because of the earlier cancellation.

I would look into this. Just might have sold your Explorer to someone else.

Sounds odd because I ordered my Explorer around the same time (about a month ago) and it is now in transit. Maybe your dealer didn't get the order in on time or had allocation issues that effectively pushed your order past the cutoff.

That being said, I almost envy you. I waited such a long time to order that if I knew that the 2012s were around the corner, I might have waited another month. I will be paying for my 2011 around the same price and getting it only a month or 2 earlier than a 2012 but will get a car that will be worth less later (because it is a model year older) and without all the built in design and bug fixes of the 2012 model (assuming there are any).

Does anyone know if the 2012 Model addresses any of the normal first year model issues? It would be interesting to see what, if anything, is different on the 2012 model (other than the optional eco boost engine).

Well my sequence of events went like this, April 18 Ordered, April 22 Confirmation of Order from Ford. April 24, I wanted to add the moon roof, May 16 the updated order was cancelled.

Just extremely disappointing, and frustrating. To make it worse we sold our family vehicle. Ugh. Luckily our in-laws are letting us use one of theirs for the time being.

I'm curious. Why are you asking us when you can reorder? I would have reordered right then with the dealer or atleast asked when I could. Seems strange you got acknowledgement and then it was cancelled.

Only difference in 2011 is the color gold leaf will not be available & a new color called ginger ale will take it's place. The other difference is the option of the 4 cyl eco boost on FWD models. Craig said everything else is the same..next change will probably be slight in 2113 or 14 models.

Just seems rather strange they would confirm the order & then dump you a month later.

Well I don't particularly care if it was a 2011 or 2012. I read on the forums the last order date was April 22nd, and that the new orders would begin on May 18th, it appears as though that post was correct.

Why would they cancel orders taken a month ago?

Craig over on FB was saying they will start taking orders for 2012 on May 18th...so I would assume anything ordered before that(especially a month ago) would be built.

Craig posted the other day it got pushed to 5/25 from 5/18

I would look into this. Just might have sold your Explorer to someone else.
:rolleyes:

Well my sequence of events went like this, April 18 Ordered, April 22 Confirmation of Order from Ford. April 24, I wanted to add the moon roof, May 16 the updated order was cancelled.
So did they try to modify your order? That could have done it.

As Joe Dirt noted - if the right parts are not available, or won't be available, or capacity will not, they will cancel the order.

I checked with my dealer because they had hit capacity on 4wd builds and stopped any new orders back in March or early April. My order was confirmed at that time (placed in January) so my chances of being built were good. I was told that until the status in the system is marked "scheduled, clean" or something like that, there is a chance the order will be cancelled.

I checked with my dealer because they had hit capacity on 4wd builds and stopped any new orders back in March or early April.

Not quite true. Ordered my 4wd 3rd week of April. It built yesterday.

My wife and I just ordered our '11 EX on May 9th. Should I be worried?

This is my 1st post, btw. I've frequented this forum for a while now, finally decided to join in on the fun!

I ordered on 4/29 and my dealer said just last week that it was accepted for build at the plant. I'll know more by May 31.

UPDATE: dealer just checked and I have an assigned VIN but no build date yet. Should be okay.

My wife and I just ordered our '11 EX on May 9th. Should I be worried?

This is my 1st post, btw. I've frequented this forum for a while now, finally decided to join in on the fun!

Welcome to the forum....

I might be a little worried - but not too much.

I've seen them go both ways. I've seen some folks on this forum order early May and have build dates already. Others are still waiting. Still others have been cancelled. The Ford order process is a bit of a black box. Lots of folks guessing as to what happens, but not many know for sure.

I would PM FordCustSrvc in about a week - Natasha and Cory can check your order status and find out if you have a VIN assigned, etc... Include your dealer name and order number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

air bags in the seat belts? what am I missing?

my sticker says

advance trac with rsc
dual front and side airbags
side impact door beams
child seat tethor
illuminated entry
sos post crash alert sys

Was that a typo "airbags in the seatbelts" or is there some new tech I am unaware of? i pick mine up tomorrow, really excited, loaded limited white platinum

Back