My 2012 Ford Explorer Limited with Shark Fin Antenna | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2012 Ford Explorer Limited with Shark Fin Antenna

NY1PR2012

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
As promised here are the pictures of my 2012 Ford Explorer Limited with the Shark Fin Antenna from Visual Garage. My Antenna was painted White Platinum Tri Coat to match the color of my Explorer. They can be painted to any Ford Explorer color available. The total cost including shipping was $81.00. It took only 2 weeks from the time that I placed the order to delivery here in New York. Here is their link, http://www.visualgarage.com/

I tested the antenna prior to the installation to make sure that the reception was fine and let me tell you that I honestly think I get better reception with this Shark Fin antenna than with the original stock antenna. Everything has work extremely well including the Navigation System as well as SiriusXM Satellite Radio.

Also, as a request from one of our members (cnSheets) who had asked me to take overhead angled pictures of the running boards of my Explorer with the doors open so he can see what they look like I have included them here on this thread.

Regards to all,

Carlos

DSC04510.jpg

DSC04513.jpg

DSC04521.jpg

DSC04529.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

DSC04527.jpg

DSC04520.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

DSC04516.jpg

DSC04515.jpg

DSC04514.jpg

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04522.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, as a request from one of our members (cnSheets) who had asked me to take overhead angled pictures of the running boards of my Explorer with the doors open so he can see what they look like I have included them here on this thread.

Perfect! Exactly what I needed to see. Thank you. I appreciate the extra effort. Looks great.

No problem, Anytime! Im glad you like the pictures.

Another question. How is the stiffness of the running boards? Do they seem to have any flex in them when weight is put on them? I would hate to have saggy running boards over time.

The Boards as well as the brackets are very stiff. In fact the brakets are very thick and heavy. They have been powder coated black. I was amazed about how well built the brackets are. Some of my friends have grabbed the running boards and push down on them and have said that they feel very strong. I really like the firmness and how strong they feel. I can't honestly tell you that after many years of use they will not sag because I think that will depend on so many factors but for now they are here to stay in my Explorer. I feel very safe and rely on them very much.

Before ordering the Dee Zee running boards I had placed an order with another company which I am not going to mention the name of their running boards which they supposedly make them for the 2011/12 Ford Explorer but after seeing the way they are supposed to be installed and looking at the flimpsy brackets (4 on each side) and some drilling on the Explorer , I decided to canceled the order and go with these Dee Zee running boards and I am so glad I did.

Look very nice, we have twins same ex!

The antenna looks very cool. They should have made it a shark fin from the get. It looks so much cooler and better looking then the antenna. Dont know what sometimes design people are thinking.

By the way if you dont mind can u PM me the link of the place where u got the running boards? I been looking for running boards and those look the best I have seen on a X. Was the install non drilling and could u do it yourself or did you have it done by someone? I would like some running boards for my wife and kid who are both shortys.

Good looking truck. Enjoy it!! Looks very nice.

Hi mdc160, please look at my other post in this forum ,"My 2012 Ford Explorer Limited"
There you will find more photos of my Explorer plus all the information about their running boards including the link to their website. There is no drilling needed to install these running boards and it took about an hour to installed them myself.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

That looks awesome! I pre-ordered my shark fin antenna and got it before the car arrived! Three weeks with an antenna and no car to put it on! :)

Not to brag, but I was the first one to ever order the antenna for the new X. So, I worked with the guys at Visual Garage sending them roof measurements and photos to make sure their antenna fit. It was actually fun because not having my car, every time the guys needed something I would drive to the dealer and schmooz a salesman to let me climb on the bumper of their one-and-only Explorer on the lot. Of course, the sales guys had NO IDEA what I was talking about (antenna? what antenna? yeah, it comes with an antenna! -- LOL!).

Glad to see my efforts paid off with other owners!!! :D

Hi mdc160, please look at my other post in this forum ,"My 2012 Ford Explorer Limited"
There you will find more photos of my Explorer plus all the information about their running boards including the link to their website. There is no drilling needed to install these running boards and it took about an hour to installed them myself.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.
Are you not going to replace the EXPLORER name plate on the door sill with the one that lights up? :D Saw that option on the dealership's display.

Peter

Looks great! I'm torn on running boards vs nerf bars on mine. I really don't want anything but wife/kids want steps. The Dee Zee boards look alot like the factory running boards on our Pilot. I was set on ordering Aries nerf bars for about $220 but have yet to see an Explorer in person with nerf bars and hard to tell from pics posted how it will really look. I think the Dee Zee boards will look fine but cost is double.

Are you not going to replace the EXPLORER name plate on the door sill with the one that lights up? :D Saw that option on the dealership's display.

Peter

Thanks for letting me know that there is such option. I honestly didn't know but I will contact my local dealer to see if they offer that option and if they do it will be a done deal. My previous car, a Genesis 4.6 V8 had the name plate that lit up in front and back door sills and it looked real nice.

If they offer that option I will have them install it and will take pictures and post them here in this thread.

Thanks Peter for letting me know.

That looks awesome! I pre-ordered my shark fin antenna and got it before the car arrived! Three weeks with an antenna and no car to put it on! :)

Not to brag, but I was the first one to ever order the antenna for the new X. So, I worked with the guys at Visual Garage sending them roof measurements and photos to make sure their antenna fit. It was actually fun because not having my car, every time the guys needed something I would drive to the dealer and schmooz a salesman to let me climb on the bumper of their one-and-only Explorer on the lot. Of course, the sales guys had NO IDEA what I was talking about (antenna? what antenna? yeah, it comes with an antenna! -- LOL!).

Glad to see my efforts paid off with other owners!!! :D

Thanks for being the one that paved the way for many of us Explorer owners to be able to install in our cars such a wonderful item as this Shark Fin Antenna. Since yesterday I have been stopped by at least close to 7 people that have asked me if the Explorer comes with that antenna and when I told them how I got mine they wanted to know if they can get it for their SUVs including one guy that has a 2011 Explorer. I gave him the info and he should be ordering his pretty soon.

Thanks for being the one that paved the way for many of us Explorer owners to be able to install in our cars such a wonderful item as this Shark Fin Antenna. Since yesterday I have been stopped by at least close to 7 people that have asked me if the Explorer comes with that antenna and when I told them how I got mine they wanted to know if they can get it for their SUVs...
Thanks for those awesome pics, NY1PR2012; that shark fin looks really sleek! :D

Cory

Is the sill plate OEM on the Limited or is it after market? I'm trying to find
a pair for my XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just looked at ford parts, looks like they are about $96 each for a new seal plate if you decided to replace the XLT ones with the Limited.

Back