• Register Today It's free!

My 2013 Sport has arrived

Ryan327

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Well, I'm happy to say my Sport is here and we are pretty excited. One thing I wasn't so happy about was getting my new custom ordered vehicle in with 71 miles on it. Apparently Ford 'randomly' selected my vehicle for 69 miles of "testing". Not happy about this, but I didn't take it out on the dealer and took delivery.

Couple questions as I'm learning the vehicle, please tell me there is a way to stop this circle from blinking around the arrow on the GPS....whoever thought that up should be shot!

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the service plans and what is a "good" deal or place to look. I thought the dealer sounded high but he sure didn't want to take no for an answer, but I told him not now and i'll buy it after the fact in cash.

Can anyone recommend a good sun shade?

I'm sure i'll have a bunch more things to ask/add later....but i need to go back outside and drool over it more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I'm happy to say my Sport is here and we are pretty excited. One thing I wasn't so happy about was getting my new custom ordered vehicle in with 71 miles on it. Apparently Ford 'randomly' selected my vehicle for 69 miles of "testing". Not happy about this, but I didn't take it out on the dealer and took delivery.

Couple questions as I'm learning the vehicle, please tell me there is a way to stop this circle from blinking around the arrow on the GPS....whoever thought that up should be shot!

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the service plans and what is a "good" deal or place to look. I thought the dealer sounded high but he sure didn't want to take no for an answer, but I told him not now and i'll buy it after the fact in cash.

I'm sure i'll have a bunch more things to ask/add later....but i need to go back outside and drool over it more.

I paid $1990 Ford Factory Warranty 5 years 125K Bumper to bumper. Got a smokin deal on that because my finance guy was being shady.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/sun_shades_for/ford/explorer/2013 Fits my Sport like a glove.

Enjoy

Congratulations on your new ride. All we need now is a pic or two. Sorry to say, you're stuck with the blinking circle.

Peter

Congrats, such a blast to drive, this is my 4th Explorer 3rd sense 2011 so any questions I can help with feel free to let me know buddy. Enjoy and be safe.

Didn't get any 'glamour' shots yet, but here are a few I snapped before it got dark out.

The picture that makes me :(

That's actually a good thing. On the f-150's every so many get selected for a 27 mile test. It's just a quality check and to ensure everything is staying consistent. When the guys are driving them all day long, it's not like it's a lot jockey getting yours and flogging it around picking up his friends and going to the movies. It's somebody who's driving them day in, day out, one after another after another, on a purposely laid out course. My raptor arrived last year and had 29 miles on the clock. At first I was pissed, then it dawned on me, I was actually happier the one I got went through the extra quality checks. If anything did pop up they would have fixed it, whereas if I got it delivered with 2 miles on the clock, I would have had to deal with it if anything wasn't 100%. Our Sport had 11 miles on the clock and it wasn't as much of a warm & cozy feeling knowing it's barely ever been driven before. I don't want the dealer or a lot jockey driving it, but at the plant, on an extra quality check, I'm all for it.

Congrats on the new sport btw!

While maybe the testing could be viewed as a positive to some, I still think getting my new custom order with 70+ miles to be excessive...

It's one of the higher mileage test runs I've heard of, like I said the f150's get a 27 mile test course if they're one of the randomly selected ones for extra quality checks, but 70 miles is still a drop in the bucket. The big picture isn't that your dealer racked up miles on your explorer, the lot jockeys didn't, the quality inspectors at the plant did.... your custom ordered explorer was selected for additional quality checks. People want quality yet dont' want any inspections to make sure they get that quality???

While maybe the testing could be viewed as a positive to some, I still think getting my new custom order with 70+ miles to be excessive...

I have to agree...while extra quality is a good thing, 70+ miles is a bit much....could actually make the difference in a warranty issue....maybe...

But congrats! Love the color, too!

I had the same thing - mine was delivered back in October. That said, look upon it positively. 74 miles isn't a huge amount, and given it's an extensive test, then your vehicle is less likely to have issues (hopefully). Mine has only had a couple of issues (APIM and differential leaks), neither of which were things that could have been foreseen, and the leak was known to be a problem under below freezing temperatures.

Other than that, enjoy the ride. It's a well sorted out drive.

Congrats. They should at least throw in a cap or T-shirt.

my sport is also in that beautiful red! im loving it! congrats!

Very nice! When I took delivery of my Limited, it had 45 miles on it. I wasn't told they tested it but I am figuring they did. Was I supposed to get a notification on that?

Congratulations on a beautiful ride, Ryan327! Quality testing is a completely normal part of our production process and ensures that we deliver vehicles of the highest caliber to our customers. I recommend reaching out to our ESP group to discuss service plan options. They can be reached at 877-794-6434. You can reach out to your dealership or http://accessories.ford.com for all kinds of goodies to customize your Explorer.

Crystal

Ryan
Congrats on your new ride. That was the color I wanted, was ready to order, but found a white one that I couldn't pass up............LOL
I understand buying a brand new vehicle, and being pissed about the miles on your new vehicle, but, it really is a good thing. You had a qualified test driver in your vehicle listening/driving your vehicle looking for hick-ups.
Yours passed with flying colors, so I would embrace it.

Btw......my truck had 19 miles on it, but I put 15 of those on it in a test ride.
Did I know what to look/listen for? Absolutely not! I was star struck by the power.......and yes I did hammer it. If its gonna break, I want it to break on Ford's dime. But I did buy the 100K bumper to bumper, mainly because of the electronics.

Anyway, Congrats again and enjoy your new ride!

For some reason I dont' think it passed with flying colors if it took 69 miles, maybe, 20, 30 or even 40, but 69 miles is a lot. We are talking most like a few hours of actual driving time since i doubt they were averaging 60-70 mph during the 'testing'.

But thanks everyone, we are liking it so far! Love the color!!!

I'm sure this may strike a nerve with some people, but it feels slower then i remembered :( Going to have to put a tune on this thing...

Took a few more pictures today!

IMAG0148_zpsdf39c9c3.jpg

IMAG0149_zps392da03e.jpg

IMAG0152_zpsc6efc11a.jpg

IMAG0153_zpse4943a60.jpg

You can add me to the list of people now that have blown off the intercooler hose. Come on Ford, it's obvious you aren't doing something right in assembly if everyone is having this problem...

Back