My 2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost Mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost Mods

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
I picked up a used 2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost with 27k miles which was very well optioned and never used in police service. I believe it was a Ford Demonstrator since it has almost every available option, down to the roof rack and 18" Alloy wheels (tho the seller removed those and installed steelies).

Anyhow, I've spent the past few weeks updating the Explorer. I installed an Android 9" head unit with built in HVAC controls (and it controls the rear AUX AC as well), Uniden Mirror Mounted LRD950 radar detector, Explorer Limited Homelink Visor, Diode Dynamics HID kit, reinstalled the roof racks, bought a set of 20" Explorer Black Powder Coated wheels, installed new Kicker speakers and will be adding a 4ch Kicker amp for the door speakers along with a JL Audio 12" ported power subwoofer. I also swapped in an XLT leather steering wheel while I was at it. I like a decent sounding audio system and this is by far the biggest let down. To install the rear door speakers, I bought a set of civilian rear door panels which have the speaker grilles in them. The police version of the exhaust system doesn't black out the resonators, so I cleaned them up and used some high temp low gloss paint to black them out. The last thing in the back I need to do is installed the Class III hitch and wiring harness. I don't need to tow right away since I have a 2016 Tacoma Off Road 4x4, so I'll get around to that when I have a need or desire to tow.

I've also done a few tweaks with a Ford IDS scan tool, such as turning off dark car mode, enabling remote start and adjusting the tire size. This coming week I'll be installing the audio system and I'm hoping that it turns out pretty well. I'm also considering a Livernois tune, CAI, thermostat, MAP sensor and colder spark plugs. This is not a priority since with the police calibration, it drives pretty nicely.

This thing is also loaded with hidden Whelen ION LED lights (vehicle was factory optioned with the "ready for the road" package) which did work when I received it, but I have since disabled them. I think it has a total of 16 lights installed including the LED turn signals front and rear which are all from Whelen (crazy bright). It still has the 100 watt siren installed and I did leave the "Air Horn" mode active which works wonders. LOL.

Stock:
20161029142224-6405c229-me.jpg

20161029142221-5eb35aa5-me.jpg

20161029142217-361cd29c-me.jpg

Mods:
20161118114551-bf55d262-me.jpg

20161118114557-d3fa44e8-me.jpg

20161118114605-63c82bc5-me.jpg

i.php

20161118114602-aa281cc4-me.jpg

20161119180249-a7600aab-me.jpg

20161119180245-deed8004-me.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you tell us more about your headunit setup? Where'd you get the panel to replace the FDCIM? That looks very close to factory... I like it.
Does your vehicle have the P/T/W bulbs in the front signals?

That's awesome! Car looks to be in great shape and looks very cool with the mods. Definitely seems like a fun project!

How is the Diode Dynamics kit? Any issues with weird beam cutoff or glare? Thinking of getting it for my '15 Sport. :)

Can you tell us more about your headunit setup? Where'd you get the panel to replace the FDCIM? That looks very close to factory... I like it.
Does your vehicle have the P/T/W bulbs in the front signals?

This unit is referred to as an S160 Android unit. It's made by roadnavi.com and I bought one from eBay for about $475 including express shipping to the US from China. I had it in about six days after ordering. It's 100% plug and play if you have an Explorer with a 4.2" screen. They offer two versions, one for manual AC and one for Auto AC. If your vehicle has MFT with the larger screen, this head unit does not appear to be an option. This is one reason why I bought the PIU Ecoboost over an Explorer Sport. I wanted an Android head unit where I could run Pandora and Waze natively.

As for the bulbs - are you asking if they are "Park, Turn, Wigwag"? If so, yes, they are.

That's awesome! Car looks to be in great shape and looks very cool with the mods. Definitely seems like a fun project!

How is the Diode Dynamics kit? Any issues with weird beam cutoff or glare? Thinking of getting it for my '15 Sport. :)

IMO, their support email is prompt but I had a problem with one of the bulbs. After swapping them (which is a nightmare on my vehicle due to all of the police lighting), we determined it was a bulb issue and they said they'd send me two new bulbs. That was like 15 days ago, and I still don't have them. This was the first time I used them, instead of using a Morimoto kit from TRS. If I had it to do again, I'd go with theretrofitsource.com.

I just solved a problem that had been bothering me. My PIU had the optional "AUX" steering wheel buttons which for police use can control four outputs. It also displays the status of the AUX outputs in the cluster. This creates an issue though where the steering wheel controls for SEEK and VOL don't work. I replaced the steering wheel with a civilian model which had those buttons and while it stopped the AUX buttons from working, the display was still there and the SEEK and VOL buttons did not work to control the head unit.

So tonight I got tired of it and decided to do some homework using www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/ by comparing some VIN numbers of various police interceptor utilities that didn't have the AUX buttons. Using "Forescan", I was able to make live edits to the Instrument Panel Cluster and also the Steering Column Control Module binary settings.

End result, I removed the use of the Generic Function Module (GFM - which was used to provide the AUX outputs) and then adjusted the settings in the cluster to remove the AUX display and also enable the controls for SEEK and VOL! So now I have full civilian steering wheel control functionality and no more AUX button display. For good measure I figured out how to add the AWD Intelligent Gauge, so that's working as well.

Forescan is a great utility software. You can't enable remote start with it, but it has done everything else that the IDS tool would allow (outside of diagnostics and firmware programming).

IMO, their support email is prompt but I had a problem with one of the bulbs. After swapping them (which is a nightmare on my vehicle due to all of the police lighting), we determined it was a bulb issue and they said they'd send me two new bulbs. That was like 15 days ago, and I still don't have them. This was the first time I used them, instead of using a Morimoto kit from TRS. If I had it to do again, I'd go with theretrofitsource.com.

Huh, interesting. I had the TRS Morimoto kit in for a while and then went to take it out. Found the bulbs to be 'melted' into the housings, but not actually melted. It just took an absolutely unbelievable amount of force and an assortment of hand tools to twist the bulbs out of there. That was a major scare for me as I don't want to screw up the headlights. TRS offered replacement bulbs at a discount but I'm afraid that the scenario will repeat itself. So now I'm in a dilemma - pry the bulbs out or deal with the candles that are the stock halogens. :(

Huh, interesting. I had the TRS Morimoto kit in for a while and then went to take it out. Found the bulbs to be 'melted' into the housings, but not actually melted. It just took an absolutely unbelievable amount of force and an assortment of hand tools to twist the bulbs out of there. That was a major scare for me as I don't want to screw up the headlights. TRS offered replacement bulbs at a discount but I'm afraid that the scenario will repeat itself. So now I'm in a dilemma - pry the bulbs out or deal with the candles that are the stock halogens. :(

I had a hell of a time getting the Diode Dynamics bulbs out of the housings as well. They were not melted or anything, but the drivers side had my neighbors wondering what the hell I was cussing and swearing about so much. haha.

I had a hell of a time getting the Diode Dynamics bulbs out of the housings as well. They were not melted or anything, but the drivers side had my neighbors wondering what the hell I was cussing and swearing about so much. haha.

Haha, so I guess that must be a universal issue regardless of kit. With the Morimoto kit, for whatever reason, the left projector was throwing the beam out so far to the left that is was just blinding oncoming drivers. Aiming the headlight lower had no effect. On a highway with 2 lanes going either way, and a considerable grass median, the left bulb would be lighting up the bushes and trees beyond the shoulder on the opposing side. Yikes!

From what I've seen, the Diode Dynamics kit seems to be friendlier in the Explorer's projectors. Now I'm just going around the forum hoping to get cutoff/beam pictures from anyone using it, and hoping for a Black Friday sale to test out the kit. :)

Was the homelink visor plug and play on the PIU?

Was the roof rack install pretty easy?

Taking delivery of a 17' PIU Eco soon and already planning some mods to make it a big nicer.

Thanks

1. Homelink Visor was not plug and play. There is no wiring for it, so I had to add it.
2. My PIU came with the roof rack from the factory, however the seller had removed it. It took me about 20 minutes to reinstall it, if that. I do believe the 16's and up have a different roof rack, but I'd imagine it will install the same same manner.

Good luck with the 17.

Thanks unixadm. I figured that would be the case on the visor since the stock visor isn't even illuminated. I plan on buying a used visor so I run some wires up there.

Thanks again!

Thanks unixadm. I figured that would be the case on the visor since the stock visor isn't even illuminated. I plan on buying a used visor so I run some wires up there.

Thanks again!

No problem. On my 2015, I tapped into switched ignition power from the harness connector in the drivers side A-pillar which is located about 1/2 up the windshield. I used that to power the visor and my radar detector. Normally, the visor would receive constant 12 volt power, however I prefer switched so that it renders the garage door opener inoperative, should I leave my vehicle outside of my house.

I spent a little time over the last couple of days adding a Kicker CXA300.4 4ch Amplifier and a JL Audio 12" 400 Watt RMS ported powered subwoofer. Because this was a base audio system, it pretty much sucked. After I replaced the door speakers with 6x9's up front and 6.5" in the rear by Kicker, with kicker 1" tweeters up front, the Android head unit was very weak in powering them. I also decided to add a secondary backup camera so that it integrated with the Android head unit. One interesting find that caught me off guard was that the Android head unit does not have SUB output. Are you kidding me? I found that if you order it directly from roadnavi.com, you can ask that they add a SUB preout. So I had to go into emergency mode when this occurred and thankfully, I had a LCI2 speaker level input converter which worked out pretty well to get me an RCA output for the subwoofer.

Overall, it sounds a whole heck of a lot better now. Loud, crisp and good bass. I can certainly turn up the bass to shake the interior apart, but that's not really what I was after. I just wanted a little something and the JL Audio sub delivers very well.

One cool thing is that this was a Police Utility, it had dual 40 amp power feeds to the back of the cabin already. So I only had to remove the passenger side interior panel and was able to grab power from there. I didn't spend a ton of time dressing wires since it's all hidden, but it's still a fairly clean install in the spare tire well.

20161122200134-63d8fc5e-me.jpg

20161122200130-e27337c0-me.jpg

20161122200127-18838ba0-me.jpg

20161122200123-51d35c99-me.jpg

20161122200121-68a0f4a9-me.jpg

I also ordered a replacement window sticker and this has to be one of the most expensive Explorer PIU's running around. $44,680 was the original MSRP. Ecoboost, Ready for the Road and the Enhanced PTU cooler (for track and EVOC use) were the big options. One interesting thing the window sticker revealed was that this vehicle was sold to the Ford Quality Test Fleet. This is probably why it was nearly fully optioned, but I thought that was pretty cool.

20161122201224-9f8eca63-la.jpg

Hey Unix, Nice ride.. I wondered if you could give me more details about the air horn /siren etc.

Where is it mounted? who makes it Whelen? etc.. Any chance you could add some pics? I really wanted to do a grover horn but need to do digital version do to size and space..

Thanks..

Thanks. I don't know the exact model, but I do know it's a Whelen that's factory installed with the package this PIU was configured with. From what I remember, it's installed behind the bumper cover, in front of the driver side front wheel. I don't have any pics because I'd have to disassemble the front of the vehicle to take them.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2016-ex-interceptor-police-lighting.434879/

Look at the first picture in that thread (you probably will need to zoom). If you look really close, you'll see the siren. I'm not sure if that was factory or not, but it's in the same location.

I installed a 2016+ Explorer steering wheel into my 2015 PIU today. Not everything works as expected though, and I'll highlight that first.

1. The audio controls have changed and in my vehicle, the buttons work but are mapped incorrectly.
2. The paddle shifters don't do anything.

I'm not sure if I can correct either of those issues by adjusting the SCCM or not. Since you tend to just learn a vehicle, I don't ever look at the buttons on the wheel. Since it's only the audio buttons, I'm not overly bothered by this. I took the button assembly apart to see if I could do some soldering to move things around, but it would be extremely difficult to do so.

The good:

1. Plug and Play
2. Airbag from a 2011-2015 Fits
3. Left and Right multi-directional buttons work normally
4. Cruise control works normally

This is a leather wheel I swapped in from a 2013 Explorer:
20161231154817-35f3fdda-me.jpg

Comparison of the various Explorer steering wheels I have. Top is stock, non-leather, right is the 2013 Explorer leather steering wheel and left is the 2016 Explorer leather steering wheel:
20161231154823-c66afb41-me.jpg

After the 2016 wheel was installed:
20161231154826-fca95f10-me.jpg

Next up, I'll be attempting to install a 2016 PIU instrument cluster with a 2016 bezel surround. If I can get it to work, I'll send it out to have the mileage and engine hours reprogrammed. If not, I'll just resell it. I hate the "blue" hue to this stock cluster and I don't like not having a visible coolant temperature gauge without going into the menu system. The 2016 cluster addresses both of those items.

Tested a 2016 cluster - it's plug and play but does not function. I received both my 2015 and 2016 Explorer Wiring Diagrams manuals, so I'll play around with it a bit more when I get some extra time.

My attention is focused elsewhere since I took delivery of my new 2017 Shelby GT350. It's a BEAST!

20170105194710-2b0cbc3b-me.jpg

20170105194654-ce34d921-me.jpg

^ Seeing your fleet is making me re-think my life choices dealing in Windows server administration. :D

I just solved a problem that had been bothering me. My PIU had the optional "AUX" steering wheel buttons which for police use can control four outputs. It also displays the status of the AUX outputs in the cluster. This creates an issue though where the steering wheel controls for SEEK and VOL don't work. I replaced the steering wheel with a civilian model which had those buttons and while it stopped the AUX buttons from working, the display was still there and the SEEK and VOL buttons did not work to control the head unit.

So tonight I got tired of it and decided to do some homework using www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/ by comparing some VIN numbers of various police interceptor utilities that didn't have the AUX buttons. Using "Forescan", I was able to make live edits to the Instrument Panel Cluster and also the Steering Column Control Module binary settings.

End result, I removed the use of the Generic Function Module (GFM - which was used to provide the AUX outputs) and then adjusted the settings in the cluster to remove the AUX display and also enable the controls for SEEK and VOL! So now I have full civilian steering wheel control functionality and no more AUX button display. For good measure I figured out how to add the AWD Intelligent Gauge, so that's working as well.

Forescan is a great utility software. You can't enable remote start with it, but it has done everything else that the IDS tool would allow (outside of diagnostics and firmware programming).

I know this post was some time ago, but if you are still around and don't mind me picking your brain, I would like to know what code(s) were used to disable the AUX Display, the AUX buttons and enable the SEEK and VOl controls as well as the AWD Intelligence Gauge

Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to know what code(s) were used to disable the AUX Display, the AUX buttons and enable the SEEK and VOl controls as well as the AWD Intelligence Gauge
To turn on AWD gauges, in IPC 720-01-01 change bit 22 to 1. Credit to KayGee.

Back