My 2015 Explorer Sport

74d34h

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Good morning,

The past couple of days have been hectic, but Thursday on schedule I picked up my 2015 Explorer Sport. Thursday night I installed the K&N panel filter and emailed Livernois my strategy and sw id codes. I also installed my Gorilla locks, that took under 5 minutes, 4 was figuring out how to remove the spare tire setup. Friday I had the front 2 windows tinted 20% and 20% across the windshield. Friday Evening Livernois sent me 93 Octane performance, 93 Tow, 91 Octane performance, 91 tow. Now this sport feels like a twin turbo beast. I have the whole weekend to play around with this tune more, but as always Livernois has place a huge smile on my face.

Friday afternoon, I got my Retrofit source HID kit. I got these installed finally on saturday. The bulbs for our truck have to be pushed in very hard and then they twist and lock. I was afraid of breakage, so I thought the bulbs did not fit. The Retrofit Source Morimoto 9005 5Five DSP with Canbus are awesome! Best HID lights I have used so far, and I have always been a diehard DDM Tuning user. My next issue is the LED Foglights. I ordered from Diode Dynamics and chose pure (5k) whiteXML2. These bulbs are too big on the base of the bulb. It hits the winshield fluid resevoir and will not fit into the fog light housing. I will have to switch to 6000k and chose a lower wattage to get the same size bulbs as the stock H11.

Otherwise, I am very happy with the Sport! This is was a good choice. I thought I would miss the SHO, but now with this tuned I am very happy with my choice to move on to the SUV.

Edited to correct HID kit source

aOpzFgIQ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I did not purchase my kit from DDM, I had the same issue at first with the bulbs not locking in place. I realized that I had to apply a pretty decent amount of pressure (pushing the base of the bulb into the housing) before turning. Then they locked in place with no problem.

FWIW I've had the same experience with every kit from every manufacturer with regard to the bulbs. I have seriously strong hands and fingers and found using a set of pliers was the best way to push and twist the bulbs into place.

I am going to edit my post again because after reading the replies about applying force, I did and damn those bulbs locked right in. I just did some night driving, and I will be first to say the quality and brightness of this kit is hands down the best I have seen. My new problem is the LEDs I ordered for the fogs, are too big. Those are from Diode Dynamics. I ordered the brightest ones, and the rear of the bulb hits the windshield washer reservoir and I can't fit the bulbs to lock in. I started on the passenger side, and never made it to the driver side because the housing on these LEDs are gigantic. I will call Monday and see if a I can swap. In the meantime I am calling retrofit source Monday and pay for the extra bulbs they mailed me it's always good to have a spare set and I feel bad that I gave them a hard time. Thanks for the replies guys, I got the headlights done, it looks so good.

Enjoy your new truck - now if you lower it, it will also improve the handling on it - i did mine with HR springs and you can certainly feel a difference - will also order the HID kit today, the lights on this thing suck.

Enjoy your new truck - now if you lower it, it will also improve the handling on it - i did mine with HR springs and you can certainly feel a difference - will also order the HID kit today, the lights on this thing suck.

Order from the retrofit source, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-9005.html#.VEzjUMma-cY

make sure you select Canbus so its all plug n play no running extra relay wiring etc. Once I figured the bulbs out, it took a few minutes to install. The driver side is so tight and the factory light harness is so short its a little frustrating. Just take your time be patient and you will be very pleased with the results.

I just re-ordered new LED bulbs for the fog lights from Diode Dynamics. I had to order the XP80 bulbs, the XML2 I previously ordered are too big and wont clear into the housing. These two vendors are very popular on here, and I can see why. I am very impressed with the HIDs.

I went and did it now. 3Bar map sensor and high performance thermostat ordered. The Livernois tune is making me grin ear to ear. I am spinning tires like crazy on the sport :thumbsup:

So without having to do any actual research into the subject myself ;) What's changed on the '15's Vs the '14 E Sports?

BTW, 7d your screename sounds familiar, are you a TM.com guy?

So without having to do any actual research into the subject myself ;) What's changed on the '15's Vs the '14 E Sports?

BTW, 7d your screename sounds familiar, are you a TM.com guy?

I couldnt tell you, I came from a 2013 SHO. Screen name is my MOS designator in the Army :salute:

Just wanted to add 2 night time pictures on a non-lit roadway. First picture is highbeams, second picture is low beams + fog lights. I noticed the fog lights in the second picture light up the tree on the left, so their light is useful.

giMwJ8Q7

kEEWTKlM

5savwcfh

What headlights do the Sports come with from the factory? The output from those lights is more white than I thought they would be at 6K.

OEM headlamps are halogen. As for the brightness, it is explained in post 1 in of this thread.

Peter

Nice Sport. Stock bulbs are pathetic at best. I have the relayed kit from TRS and couldn't be happier.

Back