My 2105 Explorer Sport Special Order Has Arrived | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2105 Explorer Sport Special Order Has Arrived

binaryman3

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Arvada, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I special Ordered a 2015 Sport in Ruby Red with all the options on June 17. It was a modification of a previous dealer order to save some wait time. I got my sticker on July 14 and it was produced on July 21. It was released to transportation on Aug 7 and left Chicago via Rail on Aug 11 and arrived in the Denver UP rail yard on Aug 15. The dealer is picking it up today from the UP rail unloading yard in Denver and the dealer is driving it to the Dealership that is about 10 miles from the unloading yard today as soon as its unloaded from the rail car. I am getting the remote access accessory installed with the security feature upgrade on the perimeter alarm. I should have it by Tuesday afternoon at the latest or sooner. Waiting for the dealer to call me on when I can come and get it. Will post pictures after I get it to its new home. It was only a 9 week wait but would have been longer if I had to start from the beginning with the special order process. The wait was worth it since I got what I wanted for options that I was not finding on local dealer stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I special Ordered a 2015 Sport in Ruby Red with all the options on June 17. It was a modification of a previous dealer order to save some wait time. I got my sticker on July 14 and it was produced on July 21. It was released to transportation on Aug 7 and left Chicago via Rail on Aug 11 and arrived in the Denver UP rail yard on Aug 15. The dealer is picking it up today from the UP rail unloading yard in Denver and the dealer is driving it to the Dealership that is about 10 miles from the unloading yard today as soon as its unloaded from the rail car. I am getting the remote access accessory installed with the security feature upgrade on the perimeter alarm. I should have it by Tuesday afternoon at the latest or sooner. Waiting for the dealer to call me on when I can come and get it. Will post pictures after I get it to its new home. It was only a 9 week wait but would have been longer if I had to start from the beginning with the special order process. The wait was worth it since I got what I wanted for options that I was not finding on local dealer stock.

Congrats, binaryman3! Post some pictures once you bring home your Explorer; I'd love to check it out! :)

Crystal

Congrats, binaryman3! Post some pictures once you bring home your Explorer; I'd love to check it out! :)

Crystal

Thanks Crystal for your help when I sent you PM asking you for status reports on the vehicle. You made the waiting process a lot more bearable with your updates.

"I am getting the remote access accessory installed with the security feature upgrade on the perimeter alarm."

Do tell - what's this feature upgrade all about? Links?

Congrats on receiving your Sport.
(mine is due mid this week in greater Boston area...can't wait)

"I am getting the remote access accessory installed with the security feature upgrade on the perimeter alarm."

Do tell - what's this feature upgrade all about? Links?

Congrats on receiving your Sport.
(mine is due mid this week in greater Boston area...can't wait)

Check the Ford Accessories Web Site for the details and there are threads in this forum on the feature. Do a search for remote access. It basically allows you to control features of your explorer from your cell phone and get text alerts if you have an intrusion if you add the security upgrade.

Ah, yup that sounds familiar. Did some searching and was wondering how much labor goes into installing these. My Sport is due tomorrow and would consider adding this dealer installed option depending on the cost breakdowns & time to install.
I already know about the annual radio/IP fee but see a mix of opinions on what the unit costs vs what it costs installed. Do you know your end costs re labor vs the device?
Thanks!

Ah, yup that sounds familiar. Did some searching and was wondering how much labor goes into installing these. My Sport is due tomorrow and would consider adding this dealer installed option depending on the cost breakdowns & time to install.
I already know about the annual radio/IP fee but see a mix of opinions on what the unit costs vs what it costs installed. Do you know your end costs re labor vs the device?
Thanks!

It was $150 for labor for the remote access, security module upgrade and LED alarm status indicator. Master Tech rate at my dealer is $120/hour and master tech has to activate the alarm and remote access with his master tech laptop. Most info I have read about this is takes less than an hour to install remote access plus security upgrade and LED plus activation and setup with master tech laptop. The LED requires a hole to be drilled in the steering column trim panel so you can see it looking in the drivers side window. Normal quote for remote access installation fee is around $200 on accessories website. It was around $600 parts plus $130 labor for $730 total. The price is negotiable with some dealers. You don't need the entire security system accessory if you have a sport with the factory perimeter alarm just the main module that plugs into the remote access module. Its all plug and go into the existing wiring harnesses.

Thanks Crystal for your help when I sent you PM asking you for status reports on the vehicle. You made the waiting process a lot more bearable with your updates.

You're very welcome, binaryman3! I'm always happy to help. :)

Crystal

A 2105 Sport on order? Man.... that's gonna be a long wait time.

Thanks B-man for sharing. I'm quite tempted especially now that I know I wont be taking delivery before the weekend as I had hoped. I have ordered the Sport & will have w/perimeter so I'll ask about the related upgrade costs to that & will share wit the community here.
Thanks again!

Picked up vehicle on Tuesday afternoon. Will Post Pictures after I take them today. Could not take pictures Tuesday afternoon due to a dark rain cloud followed me home from the dealership. I was in my garage before it tried to rain and it did not even rain at my house just passed over me after I was Home. Typical mother nature here in Colorado!

A 2105 Sport on order? Man.... that's gonna be a long wait time.

It was 9 weeks total and normal quoted time from start to finish is 10-12 weeks. My dealer modified an existing stock order and probably cut about 2 weeks off order time. It was delayed about a week in transit to the dealer based on my ETA date to the dealer was Aug 12. Explorers are in high demand and especially the sport model so getting one with everything you want can be difficult when inventory is low.

Its a long process but if you want to get what you want for options and color and the dealer stock does not have what you want its about the only way to go. I will say its worth the wait if you can tolerate the wait.

Pictures of 2015 Explorer Ruby Red

Here are some pics of my new 2015 explorer sport special order I took delivery on Aug 19. It has the 401A Equip Group, Moonroof, 2nd row bucket seats and console, adaptive cruise control, and all weather floor mats that are still in the plastic wrapping in my garage. Will wait until fall to install them and remove the carpet ones. The 3rd row is power folding plus the 2nd row buckets are power assist also. One reason I ordered a 2015 was for the power 2nd and third row seats. The other was for the adaptive cruise control and to get the Ruby Red color. Runs quiet and is a powerful vehicle with the twin turbos. It is throttled back unlike the F150 version that has more power and torque but it is a lot of power for a vehicle this size and weight. Great for driving in the mountains of Colorado.

Attachments

• 2015 ES -9.jpg
    2015 ES -9.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 982
  • 2015 ES -2.jpg
    2015 ES -2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 947
  • 2015 ES -3.jpg
    2015 ES -3.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 2015 ES -4.jpg
    2015 ES -4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 957
  • 2015 ES -5.jpg
    2015 ES -5.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 2015 ES -7.jpg
    2015 ES -7.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,002

That red on your Explorer is gorgeous. Congrats

Sweet ride Bman3!!!
I just traded in my old V8 mountaineer a similar color and I loved that SUV's look in the sun esp. when new (my factory ordered 89 LX 5.0 Sedan Mustang is also Red). This time for my Sport I went for Tux Black/Black-int - my 1st non red or dark blue car or truck - time for a little changes here & there weeks before hitting the big 5 0 (and I don't mean 5 liters...or ounces ;-)

So thanks to you I didn't pick up my 2015 custom Xsport 2015 this morning...
What's that you say? LOL...yes, although it was delivered early on Tuesday, after learning from you of the dealer installed Remote Access that you were adding to I did my research & pulled the trigger on adding it to my already custom/loaded Sport. Why not....yet another reason to stare at one's phone like the kids & ygen'ers do.

So, given my trim & specific options, as confirmed by the dealer's expert there were 2 modules involved - the remote access itself (DL3Z-)19A390-B and then the Vehicle Security Kit 19A361-A (yes, even though it already has security and non cell based remote control - that's for others sniffing though related posts).

I met with the finance mgr. yesterday afternoon thinking they had that install started with enough time for me to take delivery today (Friday am) but when I got there they said the kit or a wiring harness it ties into has a "harness too short" for the new module. They looked like they were delivering cancer news rather than a small schedule set back (its nie to be taken seriously as a customer). They said they initially spoke to both AudioVox (the OEM) and then to Ford accessories folks and Ford ack'd that a different (longer) harness was needed and it's one that Ford has in central inventory but hasn't even cataloged or assigned a FoMoCo part number to yet. Anyway that was on a rush order (I'll ask them to save any part ID info for posting here) and is expected in mid this afternoon - the later of the 2 delivery windows. Oh well...
BTW they also said that despite the small labor charge shown on the Ford Accessory site and despite being somewhat plug & play they were in for 6-8 hours labor all said & done between installation and all the encryption/security set up & testing. That wasn't to complain but to explain why they didn't want to be overly optimistic for finishing and testing before today. I'm an elec engineer and hate being rushed and know the results that can give so I told them not to sweat it - while it would have been sweet to have it my 2nd day off in the last two years I'm content resting today after a stressful week and picking it up Saturday morning takes all the pressure off.

If you had or heard of any such similar wiring harness issues I'd like to hear about it. And if you didn't catch any such problems maybe you want to ask IF they had them and how they resolved them. I'd like to hear any details.

Given I was already at the dealership yesterday arranging finance (money is so cheap to borrow now so I figured I'd spread out the cost over 3 years - plus I work for a startup) I did make them show me my Sport, popped the hood, sat it in it, admired it, and did a walk around even though A) it was still filthy from the trip from Chicago B) they had it disassembled in the area of the glove box. At least I came home with a new car smell on me (it's amazing how strong that is <tim allen grunt here>)
Was glad to see that a weird photo skuff look on the front drivers fender when the vehicle was offloaded was probably dust or something because it looked fine in person.

Anyway back to you - congratulations on your beautiful Sport.
I hope mine isn't as quiet as yours (kidding...well maybe not - induction mods may find their way under the hood) and l hope mine also looks as good once cleaned & prepped.

Thanks for sharing - for real - I think the remote access is perfect for customers like me and the dealership didn't think to offer it so your mention & follow up much appreciated.
Fun save & happy driving. Cheers!
S64

Sweet ride Bman3!!!
I just traded in my old V8 mountaineer a similar color and I loved that SUV's look in the sun esp. when new (my factory ordered 89 LX 5.0 Sedan Mustang is also Red). This time for my Sport I went for Tux Black/Black-int - my 1st non red or dark blue car or truck - time for a little changes here & there weeks before hitting the big 5 0 (and I don't mean 5 liters...or ounces ;-)

So thanks to you I didn't pick up my 2015 custom Xsport 2015 this morning...
What's that you say? LOL...yes, although it was delivered early on Tuesday, after learning from you of the dealer installed Remote Access that you were adding to I did my research & pulled the trigger on adding it to my already custom/loaded Sport. Why not....yet another reason to stare at one's phone like the kids & ygen'ers do.

So, given my trim & specific options, as confirmed by the dealer's expert there were 2 modules involved - the remote access itself (DL3Z-)19A390-B and then the Vehicle Security Kit 19A361-A (yes, even though it already has security and non cell based remote control - that's for others sniffing though related posts).

I met with the finance mgr. yesterday afternoon thinking they had that install started with enough time for me to take delivery today (Friday am) but when I got there they said the kit or a wiring harness it ties into has a "harness too short" for the new module. They looked like they were delivering cancer news rather than a small schedule set back (its nie to be taken seriously as a customer). They said they initially spoke to both AudioVox (the OEM) and then to Ford accessories folks and Ford ack'd that a different (longer) harness was needed and it's one that Ford has in central inventory but hasn't even cataloged or assigned a FoMoCo part number to yet. Anyway that was on a rush order (I'll ask them to save any part ID info for posting here) and is expected in mid this afternoon - the later of the 2 delivery windows. Oh well...
BTW they also said that despite the small labor charge shown on the Ford Accessory site and despite being somewhat plug & play they were in for 6-8 hours labor all said & done between installation and all the encryption/security set up & testing. That wasn't to complain but to explain why they didn't want to be overly optimistic for finishing and testing before today. I'm an elec engineer and hate being rushed and know the results that can give so I told them not to sweat it - while it would have been sweet to have it my 2nd day off in the last two years I'm content resting today after a stressful week and picking it up Saturday morning takes all the pressure off.

If you had or heard of any such similar wiring harness issues I'd like to hear about it. And if you didn't catch any such problems maybe you want to ask IF they had them and how they resolved them. I'd like to hear any details.

Given I was already at the dealership yesterday arranging finance (money is so cheap to borrow now so I figured I'd spread out the cost over 3 years - plus I work for a startup) I did make them show me my Sport, popped the hood, sat it in it, admired it, and did a walk around even though A) it was still filthy from the trip from Chicago B) they had it disassembled in the area of the glove box. At least I came home with a new car smell on me (it's amazing how strong that is <tim allen grunt here>)
Was glad to see that a weird photo skuff look on the front drivers fender when the vehicle was offloaded was probably dust or something because it looked fine in person.

Anyway back to you - congratulations on your beautiful Sport.
I hope mine isn't as quiet as yours (kidding...well maybe not - induction mods may find their way under the hood) and l hope mine also looks as good once cleaned & prepped.

Thanks for sharing - for real - I think the remote access is perfect for customers like me and the dealership didn't think to offer it so your mention & follow up much appreciated.
Fun save & happy driving. Cheers!
S64

They are installing it on the wrong side! The parts changed and the install goes on the drivers side hence the short wiring harness. It connects to the ODB II port now. Check the Electronics forum and the remote access thread and there is a revised install guide for the drivers side. From what I found out the old parts are gone and the new parts are installed on the drivers side at the ODB II port. The remote access module and the alarm module are the right parts to interface the remote access with the security system. Print that out and give to the dealer or tell them to check on the latest info on the remote access that installs on the drivers side. I also opted for the LED alarm status indicator that they installed on the left side of the light switch. Its only a $15 part cost. I read about the install change just before my vehicle arrived and passed it on to the dealer. Most dealers do not know much about this option or how to install it. Congrats on your new sport. Hope the dealer has figured your remote access out or you can enlighten them if they have not. By the way yours will be as quiet as mine unless you change the mufflers and resonator out to an aftermarket brand that make more noise. Pretty much have to change out the system from the cats to the back end.

sachem64, Bman3 is exactly right. Your dealer is trying to install it in the wrong spot.

This link, http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/docs/2011_2014_Scalable_Kit_Truck_10_18_2013.pdf is the correct instructions. I just received my kits the other day and it is as shown in the instructions. The old kits did not use the ODBII connections and had to be installed behind the glove box and the wiring run to the rear of the center console for connection. Unless the dealer managed to get an old kit they should be connecting as in the instructions above. Scroll down past the splicing instructions (Not needed) and you will see the 2011-2014 Explorer instructions. The '15 is exactly the same.

Hope this helps.

"Hope this helps"

It's great to get the info but at this point what's done is done.
I've taken both of your posts a cut & paste into an email to them tonight if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity and with the hopes it makes it easier for someone else. That Ford can't make this clear for it's field persons is disappointing.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning/noon - pics to come.
S64

Look forward to your pictures. Mine is supposed to be at the dealer 8/31 as of this morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Willy since 8/31 is a Sunday I hope they're a couple days early for you.
I'm watching Ford Orientation videos right now from bed - learning all the features or at least figuring out what to ask more about in the am. The kid and amateur musician in me also wants to make a music stick that will push the audio through it's paces without having to be polite and play it low. Maximizing the fun of it all.
Cheers!

Back