My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project

DirtJunky

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Callsign
DirtJunky
Started out like everyone else....stock. Buddy moved down and showed me the TT (torsion twist) and shackle lift. Used Copperhead Fab Tech lift shackles. We lifted his by doing SOA and SAS both with bronco axles. Got me motivated to lift mine.
I started with SOA in rear with RuffStuff axle perches.
Got rid of 31ground hawgs for 35 mud rovers.
For the front I kept IFS since I'm only 2wd (waiting for tranny to go any day now for 4wd 5 speed conversion then I'll do my SAS)
Used ranger edge 3" lift spindles with TT to even out the back.
Waiting on 4.10s or 4.56s still deciding.

This is where I started when we lifted his (we were same height)

IMG-20120930-00238_zpsfb55ad86.jpg

IMG_20180509_102225.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I already had axle perches I decided to do the back first.
Jacked up the body so rear was floating. (Take weight off the leafs)
Disconnected and unbolted everything to the rear end. Tranny to axle plug, left the hangers connected and unbolted shackles, unbolted U bolts, shocks, Hardest part was taking all the brake lines out

IMG-20121004-00250_zps773d4bb6.jpg

Once I rolled out the rear end, I took out my shackles and threw my stock ones back in. Bolted shackles up so leafs were floading.
I chucked my third shock cus saw no need for it.
Rolled the axle back under and lined up the axle perches with the preexisting ones just on top.
Before welding I triple checked where they lined up and made sure my axle angle was where I wanted it.
Tack welded the axle perches with a mig welder (gotta be careful not to seal up the rear end with too much welding and heat.)

IMG-20121005-00252_zps489e5907.jpg

How the rear end looked after. Got 5.5" out of SOA

IMG-20121005-00253_zpsad913f7a.jpg

Got rid of the 31s and traded up for 35s because I could:D
So I sat on pastry (donuts) for the day
MAXIMUM CLEARANCE!!!

IMG-20121011-00265_zps36abe043.jpg

Cleaned up the rear end and changed my gear oil because it was at "chocolate milkshake" status

IMG-20121008-00257_zps5e3b8430.jpg

Got the 35x12.5x15 mud rovers

IMG-20121012-00272_zps1df280df.jpg

Time to start on the front end now! Easier part.

IMG-20121011-00266_zps38ac6c21.jpg

Took out upper control arm, lower ball joint, tie rod, spindle, and shock
Cleaned it up and grinded all the rust and gunk off (black paint makes everything look new)

IMG-20121008-00258_zpsa4bf5b81.jpg

Trimmed up the fenders a few inches just because I had time to kill

IMG-20121010-00262_zps0c1d3bb3.jpg

Since I already had axle perches I decided to do the back first.
Jacked up the body so rear was floating. (Take weight off the leafs)
Disconnected and unbolted everything to the rear end. Tranny to axle plug, left the hangers connected and unbolted shackles, unbolted U bolts, shocks, Hardest part was taking all the brake lines out

It looks good....just don't like seeing that cinder block under there holding up the truck. If I need more height I opt for an old oak 6x6 even have some 8x8. Blocks aren't made to hold weight on there sides.

Yea I just use what I have. If I don't have it I can't use it

looks good total difference! imo you may wanna consider moving the rear shocks, doesnt look like much up travel. maybe to where the sway bar used to be. other than that awesome job. i also like the look of the bumpers very simple and effective. do you recal the dimensions of the rectangular steel looks close to a 2x4?

Yea I been looking into that. Looks clean where they are but travel is definitely a problem I been looking at.
The hooks on the front? They're off a expedition

54" 2x4 1/4 steel

When are the spindles gonna be on??? I'm excited cause I think this is what I also want to do :D

Friday. Got everything done just waiting for them now.

Whooo I can't wait. Hope it goes well. I'm think this is what I'll do, just hoping that I'll be able to level it all out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you do SOA and spindles, you use the torsion bars to level it out

Back