My 31" Pro-Comp AT's and new rims too! (Death to 56K) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 31" Pro-Comp AT's and new rims too! (Death to 56K)

:D
Well I finally got my new wheels and tires on the explorer. I bought them in March, they got delivered in April and spent the summer sitting in my living room :)
15X8 Extreme Alloy rims and 31" Pro-Comp All Terrain tires.
I'm very, very happy with them.
I have the torsion bars cranked, but didn't get too much lift in the front.
I had rubbing when I turned so I trimmed up the rubbermaid plastic stuff on the front wheelwells. I took a trip to Myrtle beach and with the cargo area loaded with luggage I got the slightest rubbing in the back when we would go over a large bump in the highway, unloaded they are fine. I'm guessing shackles would remedy this.
The look is great, I am very pleased. For the price I really couldn't beat this deal. Delivered to my door for under 800, then 25 bucks for a local shop to put them on and take the old tires off my old rims.

At any rate I figured I'd post my review of them and some pics so anyone contemplating 31's on a stock explorer can get an idea of what they are getting into.

I've got about 2000 miles on the tires now, they ride like a truck tire which is what I wanted, and they still look brand new, I can't wait to try them out in some snow. Mileage of course has gone down but I knew that was coming too. :)

728601_18_full.jpg

728601_19_full.jpg

728601_24_full.jpg

728601_26_full.jpg

728601_25_full.jpg

DSCN1670.jpg

DSCN1671.jpg

DSCN1672.jpg

DSCN1657.jpg

If there are any questions about these tires/wheels that anyone has, just let me know and I'll help in any way I can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your truck looks great.
i have the same tires, but on the stock 15x7's.
im very happy with them. :thumbsup:
it's weird that you had some tire rub, i havent had mine rub once, and im at stock height with a lil butt sag.

I kinda figured on some rubbing when I bought them. The wheel itself is 1 inch wider, then the backspacing is pretty dramatic. If I remember correctly, when I bought these I got them with 3 1/4 backspacing, now they are offered in a 3 3/4 BS, so who knows maybe that half an inch extra did something? I know most people stick to the 3 3/4 BS when switching from the stock 4.5 BS. Then again I also have those rubbermaid fenders that Ford put on the XLS models, maybe that caused it. Could be a hundred different things really.

pro comp 1069 rims... look familiar... i have 16x10s on my truck with procomp x terrains

Thanks guys :D

They look real good. The whole truck is nice and clean looking.

Definately add AAL or shackles to the rear. Did you by chance measure the truck to see if the rear end sags?

looks good, i like those wheels

looks like a perfect fit to me

Blee1099 said:
Definately add AAL or shackles to the rear. Did you by chance measure the truck to see if the rear end sags?

Nope I sure didn't measure, but there is a somewhat perceptable butt sag from what I see, I don't always notice it up close, but it's a little more noticable in the pics.

And thanks to the other guys who complimented the truck. I've done stuff to make it look better, lights, removing badges, etc, but I've never been much for waxing, so whatever shine she's got is the best she'll get :). And dear god don't look under the hood, it's the anti-thesis of clean, lmfao.

Back